ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Visit to Miami

Visit to Miami

The day after PMA I took a drive from Orlando down to Miami to visit community members, MJS, deckcadet, and Young Shooter. I took a side trip out to Lake Okeechobee and, of course, got lost. Florida is rough for a Westerner like me. It's flat. There are no mountains or anything to help you figure out what direction your headed.

Inland Florida is nothing like what you see on TV and in the movies. Miami and Lake Okeechobee are completely different worlds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Visit to Miami-crw_9148.jpg   Visit to Miami-crw_9169.jpg   Visit to Miami-crw_9174.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Visit to Miami

Wow! Nice pics.
    Although I've been through much of my state, I've never actually seen the lake, as far as I can remember.
    It was great getting to meet you. Thanks for coming down.
    Harrison
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

MJS and deckcadet

Back to the real purpose of my trip. MJS teaches video and photography at a school in Miami. I visited him and some of his students in their classroom. I was late because I got lost and only got to meet a few people. I'll have to make another visit to make up for it. But I hung out with MJS and deckcadet and then had dinner with them and deckcadet's dad. Deckcadet is a very enthusiastic photographer. He's had his D70 for about a month and a half and he's already taken about 5000 pictures.

The photo of MJS was taken in the school's video editing room, where they also do a news show every morning. I want to point out that Mike is one of the reasons we have a video section on this site. He and one other guy pretty much keep our digital video forum going. He knows his stuff and his students are lucky to have him.

Thanks for inviting me down to visit guys! It was definitely worth the effort. And I am planning to make another visit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Visit to Miami-crw_9196.jpg   Visit to Miami-crw_9185.jpg  
    Photo-John

Whoah!

Holy cow! That was fast. I guess I don't have to send you a link
    Photo-John

Liz

Miami Vice huh?

Couldn't resist it!

I'm glad you're back John - we missed you, but got all the newsy stuff we wanted to hear!

Nice pics - I've only been in Miami once about 100 years ago. However, I've been on the Gulf Coast numerous times since my family lives down there. I don't like the weather in Florida, but it is a beautiful state.

Nice pictures!

Liz

The News

Liz-
    Glad you like the pictures. It was nice to meet some more community members. I also had dinner with Asylum Steve, when I was in Orlando. As for the news, I've barely started. I will get serious about it tomorrow, when I'm back in the office.
    Photo-John

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Miami Vice huh?

"I've only been in Miami once about 100 years ago"

Liz..... come on While you are a bit older than I am, you are NOWHERE near 100

100 years ago miami was a village , not a city(as was Newark NJ and your home town) ;)

John.... how can you get lost looking for a HUGE body of water? 2 MAIN roads from naples to miami with water on both sides basicly ;)

next time ask me for directions..... I have been there ONCE
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: MJS and deckcadet

Always great to put a face to name and images on the screen.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz

Liz..... come on While you are a bit older than I am, you are NOWHERE near 100

I guess I felt about that old when I replied. ;)

Yes, I added on about 90 years - I was there probably 10 years ago. My sister lives in Port Richey - along with my niece and her new baby. I haven't been to Florida since my Aunt died though. My Aunt and I were closer than my mother and I and I spent a week with her in Florida every year.

Enjoy the snow, Paul!

Liz

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Broke 6000 shots today actually!
    That pic of me came out well, and that might be one of the best pictures ever taken of MJS... that's what he'd say anyways.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    that might be one of the best pictures ever taken of MJS... that's what he'd say anyways.
    But what does he think of the color?
    Photo-John

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Visit to Miami

All right, enough of the color jokes already. Thanks for visiting John, the kids really enjoyed putting a name to the face. I figure anyone with a tabasco tat on the arm must be one hell a person. Any luck with the loaner, er I mean evaluation housing for the D70? I'm currently looking at another seminar the same month advertised on Wetpixel.com with Tom Stack. He should be checking out the site some time soon.

Anyone else wanting to visit is always welcome.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Hey PJ...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Florida is rough for a Westerner like me. It's flat. There are no mountains or anything to help you figure out what direction your headed.
    Just wanted to mention again that it was good to spend some time with you during your visit. BTW, when I lived in Miami, getting around was no problem. You hit the ocean and you knew you were facing east.

As you found out Central Florida is a whole 'nuther ballgame. When the sun is high it's easy to get turned around and not be sure what direction your going.

Last week I finally got one of those tiny car compasses, and I have to say, I don't know how I got along without one this long... ;)
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I was down there last weekend, too...

...but only a pit stop in Miami Beach for two days to see a couple of friends and scout some spots for shoots.

I'm trying to get down to South Florida on a regular basis now. One of these times we gotta hook up...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Hey PJ...

My Subaru has an electronic compass on the rearview mirror. It's a nice feature. But the Hyundai rental didn't have one. I kept looking for it, but it wasn't there.

As for Paul's comments about me getting lost. I didn't get lost looking for the lake. He's right. It's hard to miss, although I did get mixed up and thought I was heading for the south end, when I was actually at the north end. The problems started when the road I was on had a badly marked detour that I missed. I think it got washed out during the hurricanes. Anyway, I hit a dead end and then had to figure out where to go. I never did figure out exactly where the detour went. But I managed to find my way back to West Palm Beach and I-95. Then everything was fine. I probably spent at least an extra hour driving around, though. But it was interesting. I've never been anywhere like those little towns. It's a very different world from where I live.

It was nice to see you again, Steve. Maybe, someday, we'll actually be able to do more than just have a meal together. And you should go visit Mike and his students. It was fun. They're very enthusiastic and he has a nice setup.
    Photo-John

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Hey PJ...

John,

That area of FL is very much like southern NJ. ONE wrong turn and you are lost for hours

I have been "misplaced" in both areas
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information