ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The absolute noobie!

I am a absolute beginner w/ a new toy! I actually found this site through mtbr.com. I just recently purchased a cannon A75. I have been messing around w/ it trying to get some cool shots and was just wondering if anyone else uses a P&S camera like the A75 or if everyone here is using alot better equipment. I know i am going to have alot of limitations in DOF .. that is the main thing i have read.

Can any one explain some of the diffrences btw P&S and the more advance cameras that people seem to be using.

What are some common things that a P&S camera can do that i could mess around w/ for diffrent effects.

Sho

*Feel free to post shots w/ your P&S cameras

Though you'll get some good replies here, you might want to check out the Digital forums here on this site for some specific feedback. Probably the biggest difference you'll find between the consumer p&s and advanced digicams is the amount of control the photog has over the camera's settings. Good luck.

Welcome to pr

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendShogunPhotog
    I have been messing around w/ it trying to get some cool shots and was just wondering if anyone else uses a P&S camera like the A75 or if everyone here is using alot better equipment.
    I have an older generation of that camera, the A40. Lots of people who post on this site use dslrs, but many use p&s cameras too.

Can any one explain some of the diffrences btw P&S and the more advance cameras that people seem to be using.
    Sure, the biggest difference for me is the size -- I like the convenience of a small p&s camera.

What are some common things that a P&S camera can do that i could mess around w/ for diffrent effects.
    Well, I believe your camera has slow synch flash. PhotoJohn uses that sometimes to get some very cool mtb action shots. Other than that, you can do lots of effects with image editting software. Not sure what you're after...

I am a absolute beginner w/ a new toy! I actually found this site through mtbr.com. I just recently purchased a cannon A75. I have been messing around w/ it trying to get some cool shots and was just wondering if anyone else uses a P&S camera like the A75 or if everyone here is using alot better equipment. I know i am going to have alot of limitations in DOF .. that is the main thing i have read.

Sho

*Feel free to post shots w/ your P&S cameras
    Well I'll give you the grumpy old man answer.
    If you are completely new to photography the best thing to learn is to make make consistantly good straight shots. Once you can do that routinely, then start trying some of the special effects. The lessons you learn in taking the basic shots will help you to use your camera to make whatever kind of shots you want within its limitations. You can find a lot of advice on composition and such in responses to posts in the Critique forum.

I shoot now with a Canon S30 P&S which is a 3.2 megapixel that has about a 3 stop limited aperture range and is real pokey about getting around to take the picture after you've pushed the release. You can find a way to take most types of pictures that you want and you'll learn a lot about photography while you do it. You can see some photos taken with this camera by using the Search feature in the menu bar above and searching the Critique forum for threads I started. One big advantage of the P&S cameras is that you can stick them in a pocket and take them with you easily.

If you are going to shoot any low light stuff get a tripod.

I agree with Chunk, consistency counts and it's probably the best investment to start with "straight" shots. There is plenty you can do in-camera, any camera, to get different effects. Like a jazz drummer told me once, "you gotta learn the rules before you can break them".

Here's one I posted in Critique recently, from a kayaking trip on Lake Superior. I waited for the sun to go down so I could get a long shutter speed. Then I put the camera on a tripod which was strapped to the boat. Put the boat in the water facing out to the open lake, and rocked the boat back and forth while I took the shot. The result is that the kayak is sharp (tripod strapped to it so the camera didn't move in relation to the kayak) and the center at the horizon is sharp (the axis of rotation). The sides get progressively more blurry because of the motion. Camera was a Nikon Coolpix 5000, not made anymore but similar to a 5400. Check out Walterick's recent post about the Hippie Festival - good examples of slow shutter speeds with flash, also with a Coolpix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool .. Well i just got photoshop as well. My internet has been down at home but ill post some shots and get some feedback as soon as that is back up. Thanks for all the advice

Sho

Clever

Maybe this is nothing new, but your idea is new to me, and I think quite clever. Cool shot!

When I lived in Wisc I had a chance to kayak on Lake Superior a couple times - Apostle Islands and Pictured Rocks Natl Lakeshore. I really really enjoyed those trips.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Here's one I posted in Critique recently, from a kayaking trip on Lake Superior. I waited for the sun to go down so I could get a long shutter speed. Then I put the camera on a tripod which was strapped to the boat. Put the boat in the water facing out to the open lake, and rocked the boat back and forth while I took the shot. The result is that the kayak is sharp (tripod strapped to it so the camera didn't move in relation to the kayak) and the center at the horizon is sharp (the axis of rotation). The sides get progressively more blurry because of the motion.

I just got back from a photography conference and some very famous and excellent photographers all agreed that the equipment really isn't a huge factor in photography. Most of them carry a P&S to use when they want to travel light, or don't want to stand out with a big camera. Photography is all about light, composition, and how you see. You can capture a great shot with the simplest of cameras. So work on developing your eye, and learn the controls of the camera, and once you're comfortable you'll know where your camera's limits frustrate you, and you'll know better what you need to advance to.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information