ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Michael, are those the wind turbines along Hwy 18 west of Madison? I see the sign in the shot says Hwy 80, but they're probably a long walk from where you were. Those things are huge - first time I drove by them I thought they weren't far away, but a few miles went by before I got to them. Quite the setup you've got at work, and you usually have the patio to yourself?

Hey Steve. Yes, those are the turbines along HWY 18. The Montfort Windfarm is what they call it. These were taken from Hwy 80 just south of Montfort. They are pretty big and can be seen from a long ways away as you already found out. I can see them from just outside of Mineral Point which is about 20 miles away.

Yup, I pretty much have that patio all to myself. The patio is bigger than the image shows (bad lens choice) and is completley surrounded by trees and shrubs so you can't see it from the outside. I think most people just kinda forgot about it. It also helps that I take a late lunch. The garbage can is always full when I throw stuff away so someone is using it, just not at the same time as me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

OK Rick...here's the afternoon

I am finally getting back to finishing the tale of my trek!
    As I neared Main Street, Platteville, photo ops became a little sparse, so I stopped in at Badger Brothers Coffee House and Internet Cafe, for a diet soda. Silly me!!! They don't serve sodas (coffee..dude)...and of course, I don't drink coffee!!!! But they did have some juices, so I had a nice apple juice and conversation with one of the workers. Here are the 2 guys on duty. I can't believe I had the nerve to ask them to let me take a pic of them...hehe...I was a bit nervous and wasn't sure of my settings in the dimly lit cafe, so It came out real dark, so had to use PS to get it presentable.

After l left the cafe, I saw a friend of mine on the corner. This is Tiny on his customized Motor Scooter!!! Tiny scooter for Tiny!!!

These next are shots of the construction going on at one of our major intersections. At one time it was 1 of 3 traffic lights in our little town. I really like this first shot. I didn't even realize the guy checking the flow of the concrete was missing his hand until I saw the picture. Guess I need to pay more attention to detail. But I have several friends missing their left hands so I probably just didn't notice out of habit!! hehe...
    The second shot is more of the construction going on at this intersection. It's part of a major construction project of Hwy 81 to Lancaster, WI.

This next shot I call "Still Beautiful After 80 Years". I had the opportunity to talk to the owner of this plant and he told me his mother had planted it there back when the street was still dirt, almost 80 years ago. I hope I look this good when I'm 80!!! hehe

These next 2 shots are of some of the local drivers. First one is my favorite photographic subject....MOTORCYCLES!!! The 2nd shot is of one of our local "lawnmowers". I showing this one 'cuz you city folk probably don't see too many of these in your neighborhoods and 'burbs!!!

That brings me to the end of my first 1 1/2 hours. It's now 1:00 PM and I'm headed for the DQ for something cool to drink!!! More to follow.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: OK Rick...here's the afternoon

Ken! Thanks for tryin. But check your links!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: 24 Hours of Photographyreview starts Now!

It's something at the PR servers Rick. It was working fine a little bit ago. I can't get anything to come up in the galleries...They may be doing some maintenance.
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

The end of my saga draws nigh...It's now 1:00 PM and I'm about halfway through my trek. The first shot is looking back on where I've been, and then a couple of shots taken while I rested and sipped my drink. I've walked about 1.5 miles. Not very far for most, but for me, it's been quite a journey.

Small town pride!!!

I saw this bike parked at the Kwik Trip CMart and got a couple of shots of it parked...but...it's so much better shooting bikes being ridden.

I've moved on from DQ now and am at one of my favorite shooting spots. This is a stream that runs through town and this spot is the nesting site of a couple of swans. I tried to get creative with this shot and shoot the swan through the flowers. Hope you like it. I think it works.

I've switched to the Nikon CP 8400 to take advantage of it's wider angle. Here is a nice landscape view of the swans nesting area.

I've gone to the other side of the highway from the swans. This is part of a long walking/bike path that will eventually end in Madison (I think). I'm still using the Nikon since I had problems getting the lighting correct with the Pentax.

I've moved on up to my next rest stop. It's getting warm, and my body is screaming at me, but I'm having too much fun to stop, so instead...I stop a lot. It gives an opportunity to get some nice landscapes. This next one is another, "Looking back on where I've been".

I liked the striations in the clouds, so took this one for me. The signs give an indication of where I'm at on my journey.

My saga draws nigh. Only two shots left. Photo ops have slowed. Although I have taken many shots since my last stop, none were what I wanted to display. Maybe after some ps'ing, they might be presentable. This is a shot of our World (that's Disney World) famous landmark. The "M". It stands for "Miners" College, which is one of the things Platteville is famous for. I hope the corn in the foreground is "kneehigh by the 4th of July"...mmmmm....

In closing, my favorite subject....Motorcycles...I think it's 2:22 PM and Kim will be picking me up in about 10 minutes, just down the road.

I hope you have enjoyed my tale. This has been a great learning experience for me. Total time was approx. 3 hours and I walked approx. 3 miles. Although I have walked 3 miles before, and at a much faster pace, this journey taught me a lot about myself and I learned a few things about my adopted hometown. Thank you for letting me share this journey.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    I hope you have enjoyed my tale. This has been a great learning experience for me. Total time was approx. 3 hours and I walked approx. 3 miles. Although I have walked 3 miles before, and at a much faster pace, this journey taught me a lot about myself and I learned a few things about my adopted hometown. Thank you for letting me share this journey.
    Ken
    Ken, I'm glad you posted your journey here for us. I am always glad to hear any journey that has discovery involved, especially self discovery. It feels good to relive it again doesn't it!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

I unstuck the other 24 Hours thread so I am putting a link to it here so everyone can still view it easily:

Another 24 Hours of Photographyreview!

This one's getting unstuck soon too! So take your final looks!
    Walter Rick Long

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information