ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: 2009...here's what I'm doing this year

Mmmm, it's looking good.
    Congratulations on making that move !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

drg

Great space and North Light! And parquet floor, you found a goodie!

All the best for the upcoming adventures!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

did you just begin to learn photography in 2000? if so, did you take classes or any instruction? i want to start learning more and don't know where or how to begin. i have read alot of books but i think i need actual instruction. what do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by jcs727
    did you just begin to learn photography in 2000?
    Yeah, pretty much as far as I remember - makes me want to throw my stuff away...

sniff... sniff... Our little Adina's gettin' all grown up!

Seriously, this is beyond awesome. Lots of hard work, persistence and talent. You've earned it! Congratulations! And those big north-facing windows are perfect.

Wow, that is some BEAUTIFUL space you have there adina! Congrats, you have definitely earned it. Just out of curiousity (you don't need to anser if you don't want to), I'm curious what does rent for a space like that run?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Congratulations Adina! You have definitely ourgrown your house when you need a studio. I'm glad your business is going so well that you need and can afford a studio.

It is an awesome setup. I love the archway, and the large windows. It makes me smile just thinking about the possible photo oportunities you have there. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jcs727
    did you just begin to learn photography in 2000? if so, did you take classes or any instruction? i want to start learning more and don't know where or how to begin. i have read alot of books but i think i need actual instruction. what do you recommend?
    yeah, that sounds about right. I was interested in high school, but never did anything. When my oldest was just over 1, the point and shoot we had died. A few months later, we found out about #2, and decided we needed a camera.

I kid you not, here's how we picked it.

Canon's commercial for the Rebel 2000 (film) was of a flaming basketball flying thru the air across the court, I thought that was the coolest thing. So when we talked about it, I had said that was the one I liked, we picked it up at the Ritz camera store at the Grand Ave (mall in Milwaukee).

Shortly thereafter, found this site, and spent naptimes reading the posts.

As far as actual instruction....I've taken a bunch of workshops/seminars with other photos, but no formal classes. There's a ton of info on the web as well. If you feel like you need in person contact, there's usually classes at local colleges, and you can always try and find someone on the board near you to get together with on occassion. I've found that most of the members here are more than happy to help you out if you need it.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Yeah, pretty much as far as I remember - makes me want to throw my stuff away...

sniff... sniff... Our little Adina's gettin' all grown up!

Seriously, this is beyond awesome. Lots of hard work, persistence and talent. You've earned it! Congratulations! And those big north-facing windows are perfect.
    Ha!

Thank you!

btw...my mom has one of your prints hanging in her house. Blue ice with a red lighthouse. she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Wow, that is some BEAUTIFUL space you have there adina! Congrats, you have definitely earned it. Just out of curiousity (you don't need to anser if you don't want to), I'm curious what does rent for a space like that run?
    Thanks!

Rent in the Third Ward runs anywhere from $10(very rare) to $30+ a square foot. Depends on the building, who owns it, what the location is. Storefront is very expensive. I did look at a space that was right around $10/sq foot, but it was dead center of the building, no windows at all, and a maze to get there.

I was looking for light, ease of accessabilty, some brick, and decent floors. And a central location. There are a few buildings they are working on that are kinda on the edges of the area, still walking distance, but not right in the middle of things. I'm right across the street from the Public Market, and right off the freeway.

I'm on the lower end of the price range...I've found that if you look for something that suits you as is, and doesn't need remodeling, you can get it a little cheaper. If you want something that they will customize to your needs, the price goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Congratulations Adina! You have definitely ourgrown your house when you need a studio. I'm glad your business is going so well that you need and can afford a studio.

It is an awesome setup. I love the archway, and the large windows. It makes me smile just thinking about the possible photo oportunities you have there. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    Thanks!

I will be back this afternoon, taking some prints and stuff down. Start shooting there tomorrow

btw...

downside, parking. There is none, and the meters are way expensive. There are lots, which run about $100 a month. Holding off on that for now, we'll see how it goes these first couple weeks.

I'm going to give it 6 months to get it where I want it. If I hate it at that point, we'll consider it lesson learned.

thanks for the advice, adina. i have four boys and i have been trying to learn how to take pictures of them for years now but i find i end up using auto mode all the time just to get the shot. i want to advance but never really had the time. now my little one is in school all day so i thought i would try to find a local course. your pictures of your daughters are always so amazing and have inspired me to keep learning. good luck with your new venture and i look forward to seeing more of your work.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I can't take credit for the "room of her own..." That goes to Virginia Woolf.

But I'm glad that you're rewarding yourself with one after working your butt off for it!
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    btw...my mom has one of your prints hanging in her house. Blue ice with a red lighthouse. she loves it.
    I'm not worthy.

But, thanks.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Wow Adina, I definitely need to get over here to VF more often. Congrats on the new place!!!! I'm sure you're going to have a great time there!!! I know we all look forward to your first shots from there!!! Good luck!!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

shot there all morning on Saturday. Loved it, as did my clients. Am currently stuck in a hotel in Manchester Iowa. I hate the snow. Will post some this week.

Adina,

Way to go! Huge step and I wish you ALL the luck (not saying you need it but it can't hurt) in the world. It looks like a gorgeous space with tons of potential. As with the others, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Adina - that's awesome that you're able to do this! Best of luck, and I can't wait to see more photos as the space develops and you're able to take some photos. It looks like it has some great potential! You're an inspiration .
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

It's so beautiful and congrats to YOU! Huge accomplishment and so well deserved!. Where abouts is it, my grandmother's lived in West Allis and I spent so much time there! Now you can find Momma DiMarini's and have the best pizza in Milwaukee :lol: If I get up that way I would love to see it. The space is something I could live in, I love the brick, arch, everything. Way to go

First sessions here on Saturday the 17th! Went well, definitely getting used to it. Could get lazy and shoot everything here....

www.photographybyadina.com click on the blog square...should be about 8 images from the studio...

Dang Adina,

Those are gorgeous! It looks like you're off to a great start!

First sessions here on Saturday the 17th! Went well, definitely getting used to it. Could get lazy and shoot everything here....

www.photographybyadina.com click on the blog square...should be about 8 images from the studio...
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Wow, great shoot like always Adina... :thumbsup:
    I am sure your customers are going to love the new place and their pictures.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    It's so beautiful and congrats to YOU! Huge accomplishment and so well deserved!. Where abouts is it, my grandmother's lived in West Allis and I spent so much time there! Now you can find Momma DiMarini's and have the best pizza in Milwaukee :lol: If I get up that way I would love to see it. The space is something I could live in, I love the brick, arch, everything. Way to go
    You know downtown, just north of the Summerfest grounds, where all the freeways converge? I'm one block south of the freeways, about 3 blocks east of the lake. Easy access....right in the 3rd Ward, right across from the Public Market.

Also, I think I drove past DiMarini's this past October! Thought of you as I went past!

thanks guys.

You know what I didn't know I would need? Printer paper. Apparently I can't print from the studio to my house. Bluetooth doesn't go that far.

Really fantastic photos Adina, I'm sure the customers are thrilled. Very nice website as well, I like the side by side format with the flash site and the blog :thumbsup:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information