ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Newb Photographer

18% Grey Card Little Test

I got my grey card the other day and decided to give it a whirl, the only light source was a lamp to the right.

However even though i didnt set the shots for anything special I was very impressed with the results:

Canon 350D | Remote Switch RS60-E3 | Battery Grip BG-E3 | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Speedlite 580EX II |

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: 18% Grey Card Little Test

Interesting indeed!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

This is interesting. But it looks to me like something isn't quite right. What exactly are you doing with the gray card?

What camera are you using? Does it have a custom white balance setting? Did you also try a plain white piece of paper? Gray cards are more commonly used for exposure, not white balance. Camera manuals always say to use a plain white piece of paper for a custom white balance.

One way you can use a gray card for white balance is to take a picture with the gray card before you take your real photo. Then, in Photoshop (or whatever software you're using), click on the gray card with the appropriate tool to correct the color. But this has to be done for each lighting situation so unless you're shooting in the studio or with other predictable lighting, it's not very practical.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Newb Photographer

Canon 350D which allows for a custom white balance.

Used the card as explained in the intructions. Put the camera on P mode and took a photo of the card in the same lighting as the object, then set that as the custom white balance and snapped away.

I was rather surprised by how truer the colours are in the pictures with the grey card used for the white balance. The set does come with an absolute white card as well so ill give that a try and see what results I get.
    Canon 350D | Remote Switch RS60-E3 | Battery Grip BG-E3 | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | Speedlite 580EX II |

You might want to check your technique, as the "better" shots are WAY too green.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    You might want to check your technique, as the "better" shots are WAY too green.
    I agree!

But then, we were not there and don't really know what the colors looked like to you with your naked eyes.

How about you go try set your custom white balance simply with a piece of white paper and compare the shots again?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Gray cards are more commonly used for exposure, not white balance.
    Actually, I've read that digital gray cards are more often used for WB setting. I've also read that the common gray cards for 35mm do not work for digital. This, I don't understand, unless they are referring to WB setting again instead of exposure.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Actually, I've read that digital gray cards are more often used for WB setting. I've also read that the common gray cards for 35mm do not work for digital. This, I don't understand, unless they are referring to WB setting again instead of exposure.
    Based on what we're shown here, do you still think gray card is for WB?

It's true. Photographic grey cards are not meant to be used for WB because they don't reflect all wavelengths of light equally. In other words, they're not neutral. Even some supposedly neutral "digital" cards really aren't.

What I think the original poster ran into is simply a light source that is outside the range of temperatures that even custom WB can account for. I think it might simply be coming as close as it can. That's assuming a digital grey card was used and it actually is at least close to neutral.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I'd also like to see a photo taken with the tungsten white balance preset. I'm assuming, of course, that the light source is tungsten. It looks like it to me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Based on what we're shown here, do you still think gray card is for WB?
    Hey, I'm ignorant when it comes to gray cards for digital. I'm just stating what I read somewhere. Here is one source for my statement.
    http://www.pictureflow.com/products/whibal/index.html
    Mike
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Hey, I'm ignorant when it comes to gray cards for digital. I'm just stating what I read somewhere. Here is one source for my statement.
    http://www.pictureflow.com/products/whibal/index.html
    Ooops! Apparently my response turns out a bit harsh. My apologies, mn shutterbug!

I was trying to say that based on what motlive has shown us, it really makes one doubt what a gray card can do to WB. Most of the time, if I want to customize WB, I use a white paper. I'm sure somebody out there would like to make some bucks out of us by trying to sell us some "miracle" tools.

Lately I have been taking more time in my setups - get a custom white balance using a coffee filter wrapped around my lens. Then meter off a gray card in the lighting I will be shooting in. Have noticed a big difference in the true colors I am capturing now compared to Autowhite balance and metering off my subject.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Ooops! Apparently my response turns out a bit harsh. My apologies, mn shutterbug!
    No apology necessary, AgingEyes. I didn't consider your response harsh, just direct.
    Also, I was just pointing out that I have no direct experience with gray cards in this digital age. Maybe I read too much?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Lately I have been taking more time in my setups - get a custom white balance using a coffee filter wrapped around my lens. Then meter off a gray card in the lighting I will be shooting in. Have noticed a big difference in the true colors I am capturing now compared to Autowhite balance and metering off my subject.
    What exactly are the steps you follow to do that? I've read several times about using a coffee filter, but somehow it just doesn't 'click' in my brain and I can't quite grasp what to do.

You just cover the front of the lens with it, set the camera on auto exposure, and point it at the main light source. From there, you just set the WB manually however your camera requires it.
    -Seb

My website

here is where i got the info from ....

More Volleyball (Better Pic Plus Better PP)
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have also heard of people using the lid off of a can of Pringles in the same manner as the coffee filter.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Newb Photographer

Sorry I havent replied before now. Well I will try and set an enviroment up and get some photos taken through a series of WB using both pre-config settings and custom settings. Hopefully by the end of the week.

I did some more photos at a fashion show using the grey card to see what results it gave, and the colours just seemed a little to realistic.. if that makes sense!! so went back to AWB.

Thread Information