Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Product Pictures, Semi Large

Hi,

I need help! I need to photograph mag wheels, on a white backdrop. In the past all I have used was a white backdrop and regular office lighting. However, I have moved to a different space, and now have the capablity to do better photographs. One issue I have had was photographing chrome wheels. Since chrome wheels are almost mirrors, it is very difficult to hide yourself and the room you are in.

I need two shots from these mag wheels. One straight on front shot, and one shot at approximately 25" degree angle. What equipment would I need to successfully tackle this project? From what I read, I think I need a soft box tent. If so, how large would it need to be to take my shots?

Thanks!
    Ben

Ghost

Re: Product Pictures, Semi Large

You don't "NEED" a tent but I think you've got the right idea. Although the wheels are pretty large, you can probably still use white foamcore to make a simple box that surrounds the wheel. Or some white sheets would probably get the job done too.

You'll need to hide or camoflauge yourself from being reflected in the wheels too. You could put your camera behind some foamcore or white sheet as well and cut a hole in it for the lens to poke through.

Basically, the whole idea here is that the wheel is going to reflect pretty much everything 360 around it so you need to block off 360 degrees as well.....or as much as you can.

If you could do things in a dark room with strobe lighting then sometimes you can use empty spaces (that will show up as a dark reflection) to help "sculpt" shape into the wheel.

I think sheets will probably work best for you as they can also act as diffusers for the lights. You might have to get a little creative in figuring out how to hold them all up unless you already have an army of stands around.

Thread Information