Hi, I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any help.
My friend and I shoot pets and martial arts among other things. We work together with the martial arts. We don't have a lot of problems with the action. But we need help with posed pictures. We will also be doing teens at a high school doing dancing poses and we want to improve our lighting. We are so tired of cloning out shadows in Photoshop!!!
We each have a D70 and two nikon SB800s each. We sometimes have to do action and then switch to posed without much time in between, We have a Quickflip Stroboframe with a SB800 on it for action and have also been leaving it on for the posed. Of course, we get lots of harsh shadows on our background when we do the posed, even when we move the person away from the background. To try and solve this, we each bought another SB800, put two of them on tripods, set them on remote and set our on-camera SB00 to Master to help with the shadows. This gave us some interesting lighting but ultimately compounded the problem. We've tried bouncing the flash, but it doesn't give us enough light to deal with the jumps etc that the students want to do.
Should we take the Master off of the camera for the posed shots? We have the TTL coiled remote cord, but it isn't very long so the camera would have to be pretty close to the flash. This will be hard shooting Tae Kwon Do because sometimes we have three people in the shot. Also, can we shoot through a white umbrella? Do you think our SB 800s are strong enough? Should we buy some studio flashes? and if so what kind would you recommend? Please, we will appreciate any comments on the matter, we have two shoots soon.
Rere.