Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Home made lighting

Last year i completed a photography diploma, and majored in food photography. I have been trying to photograph more shots for my folio using window light, which can give good results but not consistent and flexable results. The light can't be manipulted how i want it like studio lighting. At the moment expensive equipment isn't an option.
    So i want to make a homemade softbox using a tungsten light and other materials. What are some ways of doing this? And what materials would give results as close as possible to a softbox, without being a fire hazard?!.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah.

Re: Home made lighting

Hey, I took a cinematography course at USC in which my professor created just what you are asking. I recreated the same exact thing and it works like a charm! It will cost you about 20 bucks to make.

First, get a cardboard box with a lid that's about 2 feet high by 1.5 feet wide and tall. Cut square hole in the lid that is almost all the way to all the edges, so basically you have a cardboard frame. Get some diffusion gel from a local film or photography shop or online (I use opal). Optionally, you can get some color temperature correcting gels if you want to get your tungsten to match daylight (CTB). But remember that the CTB will cut your light down a full stop or more!

Ok, now cut the gel(s) to a slightly larger size than the hole in the box lid. Then use a strong tape (like gaffers tape) to affix the gel(s) to the lid. (I wouldn't recommend supergluing the gels, as they may have to be swapped out when they get old.)

Now, go to ikea or a local hardware store and buy your basic light socket with chord. Ideally you wanna get something strong that can handle upwards of 250W, but I've used one rated at 100W with higher bulbs before and it's ok... just not as safe.

Cut a round hole in one of the smaller sides of the box just large enough to stuff the socket through. Then, line the entire inside of the box with tinfoil. (this you can crazy glue down.)

Poke a hole in the tinfoil and stuff that socket through it. Additionally, get some small piece of copper piping or something and fit that through the hole as well, so that you have a handle sticking out of the box that you can clamp to a C-stand or something. You may want to get a small piece of wood and glue it to the box, drill a hole through that, and then put the socket through, this will make it slightly stronger. Though the socket I got at ikea had a screw on clamp that worked just as well.

Toss in a strong photographers bulb! 250W or something! Put the lid on and tape it down!

So basically what you end up with is a box lined with tinfoil with 250W of light inside of it, then you have opal diffusion on one open end of the box. the light spills through the diffusion creating a very flattering softie effect.

I use this in conjunction with a C-stand (every one should have one). I am able to mount my box on the c-stand and point it in just about any direction. It's great for dramatic mood lighting, straight overhead (interrogation style) lighting, or a soft key.

Optionally, you can spraypaint the whole box black first, that will make this rig look a little more professional!

cheers

Thread Information