ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toy Camera Home Page

Yesterday I built a Toy Camera Home Page that links to all toy camera content on the sites. Please take a look and give me some feedback on it:

http://www.photographyreview.com/toycameracrx.aspx

I think it needs a Holga photo at the top. What do you think? What else is missing? Maybe I should make a toy camera review section? It's kinda silly, because who really cares about reviewing toy cameras. That's not what they're about. But it might be a good way for us to organize ideas and opinions on toy cameras.

Gimme your thoughts and ideas. I've been meaning to do this for a long time and I want to do it right. Plus, this will be a template for similar pages, like a Leica Home page, Infrared Home page, Canon Home page, etc. The possibilities are endless.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I Do! I Do!

What an excellent idea! And what a great camera to start such a project with!
    I am for it.
    I know there are several great Holga photographs here that would make great candidates for the masthead. I'd hate to nominate myself, but.....

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Most excellent...

Good timing, PJ. In the last couple weeks I've gotten a pinhole lens cap for my Canon 10D as well as a Polaroid Holga. Yeah, I know, a weird mix of high and low tech, but to me the images are the thing...

Anyway, my mind is definitely on the alternative pictures that toy cameras provide, and I plan on exploring that a bit in the weeks ahead, so this new site section couldn't have come at a better time...

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to plan my 1000th post... ;)
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

1000th Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    And now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to plan my 1000th post... ;)
    Nice! What if I went in to your profile and kept editing it so you just stayed at 999 ;-p
    Photo-John

Re: Toy Camera Home Page

I like the gallery set up for each type - not only are the shots great to look at but it shows you what the camera's effect will do. But reviews for something like a Holga just seem kind of wierd - it's a toy, not a 'blad!

Of course there's the humor factor; theres always one person who doesn't get it and writes something like this: "pure plastic and nothing else.its like eating a burger and still being hungry". Huh?

I bought a Holga last year but don't have any way to post shots from it yet (MF scanner). Is it wrong to get an Epson 4990 for scanning negatives from a camera that cost under $20? ;)

Re: 1000th Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Nice! What if I went in to your profile and kept editing it so you just stayed at 999 ;-p
    Do that John!!
    ;)

I also wanted to say thanks! Looking at those two galleries brought back a memory or two..
    Some of the first photos I ever posted here were in those galleries, which goes back to 2000!
    I can't believe I have been hanging around this place for five years!
    What a wonderful five years its been! I am glad I have been able to been here with you guys!

Brian
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 03-30-2005 at 09:20 AM. Reason: OH and...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    But reviews for something like a Holga just seem kind of wierd - it's a toy, not a 'blad!
    I agree about reviews being wierd. If you read the reviews on the Lomo and the Holga, you'll find some very mixed opinion :-) In this case it would be more about an organized, searchable, and archivable way to let people share their thoughts about toy cameras. Maybe we could use the same format and just change the name so that they aren't "Reviews."

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Is it wrong to get an Epson 4990 for scanning negatives from a camera that cost under $20? ;)
    I've had the exact same thought :-) My answer is no. Even though the lens is, in theory, crap - there's a ton of rich information in that big piece of film. If you're serious about Holga photography, then why not get the most quality out of the film that you can? Plus, then you have a great flatbed scanner that you can use for other stuff, too.
    Photo-John

Question Re: Toy Camera Home Page

So does this Epson 4900 scanner do 120 and 35mm?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

A quick look at Epson's website, shows there is cheaper model too..
    The 4180.. I would LOVE to be able to scan my Holga negatives instead of a proof sheet.
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM....
    Anyone interested in a well taken care of , but used Espon 2400 scanner?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

I'm looking at the 4990 because the dynamic range is getting close to what dedicated film scanners have. The scans won't be as good as from a Coolscan 9000 but it's less than 1/4 the price (for the Photo, not Pro version). It just started showing up in the last week or two, so there might also be some good deals on the 4870 that it replaces.

Someday I hope to have an MF rangefinder and maybe a 4x5 so I'll be set with the 4990 which will scan 8x10 transparencies. Probably have "real" prints done at a lab though.

. It just started showing up in the last week or two, so there might also be some good deals on the 4870 that it replaces.
    So does the 4870 do 120?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Epson Scanners

The Epson high-end flatbeds have been great since the 3200 (I think that's what it was). They'll scan medium format and 35mm, although general concensus is that the 35mm scans aren't so great. You'd be better off buying a a cheaper Epson flatbed and a dedicated film scanner for your 35mm stuff. That's usually my recommendation. And most of what you're paying for with the new Epson is dynamic range. There's a workaround for that. You can do 2 scans, at different density settings, and combine them using Photoshop layers. That allows you to create your own higher dynamic range scan. If you aren't doing it for a living, and you aren't doing 50 scans a week, that's probably a better way to go.
    Photo-John

Liz

Question PJ - another thought!

I think this is a great and fun idea!

What about adding somewhere Lensbaby lenses? I know it isn't a camera per se' but they're sort of like a toy!

Liz

Yesterday I built a Toy Camera Home Page that links to all toy camera content on the sites. Please take a look and give me some feedback on it:

http://www.photographyreview.com/toycameracrx.aspx

I think it needs a Holga photo at the top. What do you think? What else is missing? Maybe I should make a toy camera review section? It's kinda silly, because who really cares about reviewing toy cameras. That's not what they're about. But it might be a good way for us to organize ideas and opinions on toy cameras.

Gimme your thoughts and ideas. I've been meaning to do this for a long time and I want to do it right. Plus, this will be a template for similar pages, like a Leica Home page, Infrared Home page, Canon Home page, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Interesting......

I am even cheaper than that John....
    I have an Epson 2400 right now, but would love a scanner that does both 35 and 120.
    I don't do too many prints, but I do like the option of it. Most of the scanning I do is for web applications..
    I might have to look into selling my 2400 and getting a 4180.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Re: Epson Scanners

You can do 2 scans, at different density settings, and combine them using Photoshop layers.
    Good idea! BTW, the 4870 does 120 and also transparencies up to 6x9 - larger than 4x5 anyway. The review I read of the 4990 said it's better than the 4870 but if you already have the 4870 it's not that much better that it's really worth upgrading in most cases. Digital ICE might be better on the 4990 but it doesn't work with B&W anyway. So... looks like a 4870 might be good.

OTOH, the 4990 can do a contact sheet of 36 35mm frames and the other can only do 24. The $100 difference between a refurb 4870 and a new 4990 would be worth it just for that. I don't plan on using it for 35mm scans, but as I do more 35 B&W it might be pretty handy.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

But what about the 4180?
    I don't think you have hijacked the thread..
    This has all been very relevant to Toy Cameras...
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Brilliant!

Very cool! Makes me happy!

Megan

In defense of my Holga review...

I was asked to write it! Somone asked me to write it! I forget who, actually.
    So I obliged....

Megan

Lensbabies

On the list of things to do. They absolutely belong - on the Toy Cameras page and in the lens reviews.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    But what about the 4180?
    Looks like another new one, but the Dmax (dynamic range) is 3.4. In comparison, the 4870 is 3.8 and the 4990 is 4.0. PJ's work-around would work here too but you would probably have to do it more often unless you have a really low contrast neg. A lower dynamic range means that you'll lose detail in the highlights and shadows quicker than if you used a scanner with a higher dynamic range. Kind of like the difference between neg film and slide film.

More Photos, Please!

Since I've gone to the trouble to build this new page, let's fill out the Toy Camera Gallery a little. There really aren't very many photos in it. There are no Lomo photos in it at all. And only one i-Zone image. So if you've got good Holga, Lomo, Diana, pinhole, Lensbabies, camera phone images, or whatever else you think qualifies, please post them in the Toy Camera Gallery.

Upload Toy Camera Photos Now >>

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Re: More Photos, Please!

Since I've gone to the trouble to build this new page, let's fill out the Toy Camera Gallery a little. There really aren't very many photos in it. !
    Yeah! Come On!
    Let's Get some other photographers to put their Holga, Diana, Lomo, etc photographs here!
    Come On!
    Brian
    Toy Camera Cheerleader!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Okay okay okay....

Fine, I need a reason to scan recent stuff and update my site.
    It will get my mind off my miserable life and job.... (staples back of hand to forehead)

Megan

Here's a Staple Remover...

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Fine, I need a reason to scan recent stuff and update my site.
    It will get my mind off my miserable life and job.... (staples back of hand to forehead)

Megan

GOOD!!!!
    Hang in there!!!
    We LOVE YOU Megan!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Re: Here's a Staple Remover...

Thanks, I'm glad someone does!

(Ouch, these staples draw BLOOD!)

Megan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information