Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Hi! New here, with a ligting question.

I just stumbled onto your forum today, and i'm so glad. I've been browsing some of the posts and everyone here seems soo helpful. I'm currently taking photo classes at a local college and also opening up my own business from home. I have two daughters, age 4 and 19 months.
    I have been researching lighting kits and trying to compare them. I originally thought i would use Britek brand lights, but after looking them over and trying them, they seem to be no better than their cost. Cheap and unreliable. I am considering getting Alien Bees brand lighting and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. they seem to have good resale value. Thanks for listening to me ramble. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Erika

Re: Hi! New here, with a ligting question.

Hi Erika and welcome to the forums.

Alien Bees are well regarded by the people who buy them, and for the price seem to meet the needs of the Prosumer level, that is not Profeesional, not a Amateur. Most comments I have seen are about what Wattage output they are equivalent too as the numbering system they use is a bit confusing, so that is something to get your head around first. Also their Light stands seem to be on the light side and most people comment on getting the heavy duty ones or just getting better light stands like Manfrotto/Bogan 004 stands check out B&H Photo and Video for pricing on those.

Also you need to be aware that you need their speed ring if you are going to attach another softbox manufactures to their light heads, if using theirs they come with the speed ring already.

Not a lot of info on these boards for lighting, if you go do www.dpreview.com and look at the lighting forum, then do a search on their for Alien Bees you will get a plethera of information from there.

Personally myself, as Alien Bees aren't available here, I got a two light setup of Bowens Esprit II kit and have found it to be very nice, easy to setup and take down, cost was a little high for me, but not a lot available here in Australia that isn't pricy.

Calumet have Bowen Equivalent Kits available which might be a good option to look at.

Remember you need to be using the equipment to justify the expense of purchase as well.

Hope that little bit helps.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Hi! New here, with a ligting question.

I have two of the alien bee B1600 models in my classroom/studio and love the things. We use the reversible white/silver umbrellas and haved plenty of light for single shots right up to groups as large as 15 when positioned and stacked properly.

Good luck with your research.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information