Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Studio Lighting Classes in Chicago? or advice?

I'm a graphic designer with previous b/w photo experience and would like to learn more about studio lighting so I can take nice pics of packaging I have designed for my portfolio, in addition to offering some basic photo service to my clients.

I am interested in finding a short seminar to teach me the basics (somewhere around Chicago)- any recommendations? Or a good book to read regarding studio lighting.

I currently have a Nikon N60 SLR and a Nikon Coolpix 995 digital camera. I'm looking into purchasing a Digital SLR camera, but would like to educate myself a bit more on the lighting issues prior to investing.

I'd also love some recommendations on studio lighting equipment. I have some tungsten blue bulbs I use on those clip lamps but get really harsh highlights if I'm pointing the lamps right at the subject (obviously). Again, I have no formal education in Lighting, just b/w photography (that was taken with natural Light). I'm just looking to use a simple white background and having the subject well lit with a soft shadow off to one side. How can I make this happen?

Sorry this is such a broad post, but I'd love any advice anyone can offer.

I was just looking at some other post suggesting a light tent and I looked at this one:
    http://www.adorama.com/PALBT24.html?...tent&item_no=8
    I like the idea of being able to change out my backgrounds, and the fact that this doesn't take up too much space... So, if I use a light tent, what types of lights are recommended and where do I place/point the lights?
    Last edited by jmckenna37; 10-20-2004 at 08:18 AM.

Re: Studio Lighting Classes in Chicago? or advice?

Hi
    I can't give you my long answer until tomorrow. I have some stuff to do and can't get back to it until then but.... I live in Chicago and can give you an answer about some places to check for classes. Sign up for the email newsletters from The Backdrop Outlet, Helix and Calumet Camera. They all have seminars and sometime free classes about different aspects of photography. Triton College has some classes and one is the Digital Studio. It probably won't start until Jan but it's a permanent class.

I must have 20 books about studio lighting and the one I found is the best for starting out is the book by Scott Smith. He cuts through the bull and gives you easy instructions on all aspects of studio lighting and general photography. He doesn't get into product shooting but all his portrait instruction applies. His explaination on the Inverse Law and ratio's is worth the price of the book.

http://www.lightingmagic.com/litbook.htm

Got to go but I'll try to answer the rest of your questions tomorrow.

Jim

Where were we. Your tungsten lights can work well with the tent because you usually will be shooting at larger apertures and slower speeds. If you are doing people portraits it's probably better to get some strobes. Your question indicates your more interested in static shots and with the hot lights the tent should diffuse the light and get rid of your harsh shadows. You can change the bottom or back of the tent with different backgrounds. A cheap way to do it is colored poster board, cloth or even sections of carpet. You can get creative and make some great backgrounds without spending a fortune. With light placement first make sure there is something in front of the light to diffuse it whether it's a tent or even use some frosted plastic, glass or rip stop nylon. What ever works. Then place your lights on either side of your subject to cancel out the shadows. If your shooting digital you can experiment with your exposures but with film you might want to think of getting a meter to set up the shot. It will save a lot on the price of film and processing. It's really a good idea to use a meter no matter what you shoot. I hope that answered most of your quesions.

Thank you so, so much for all of the advice and suggestions- I'm going to look for that book and start experimenting! Thanks again!!!

Thread Information