Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Using Neat Image

Just installed Neat Image to try and combat high ISO noise. Just trying to learn use to use it. Here is the same shot processed with and with out Neat image any feed back?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using Neat Image-dsc_7609-3.jpg   Using Neat Image-dsc_7609-2ni.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Using Neat Image

Larry,

Perhaps I'm not the best one to comment, because people in the past have reported seeing noise in my images that wasn't apparent to me. I've recently undertaken significant workflow changes to eliminate or at least minimize the noise that I can't detect!

For whatever it's worth I don't see much difference in these two shots, and I'm having a tough time trying to decide which one was treated with neat Image. To these senior citizen eyes neither one seems to have a noise problem. That's probably not what you wanted to hear! Better not take my word as final in this evaluation! I use Noise Ninja, but I frequently see Neat Image mentioned alongside NN as good noise reduction programs.

At what ISO was this image shot? When images are properly exposed and not under-exposed I'm impressed at how low the noise levels are with the D700 even at high ISO settings. I've gone as high as ISO 12,800 in some poorly lit high school gyms. I hasten to add that I have no plans to go to ISO 25,600 under any circumstances that I can imagine short of a dire emergency!

Bob

Here is a drastic crop of an image shot at ISO 6400, D700, 1/500 at f2.8 with the 80-200. First shot is my standard processing contrast, levels and unsharpmask. The second is with the use of the Neat Image filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using Neat Image-dsc_8705-4c.jpg   Using Neat Image-dsc_8705-4nic.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Here is a drastic crop of an image shot at ISO 6400, D700, 1/500 at f2.8 with the 80-200. First shot is my standard processing contrast, levels and unsharpmask. The second is with the use of the Neat Image filter.
    Here is the original uncropped image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using Neat Image-dsc_8705-1.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

This is coming from another set of older eyes but the only difference I can see is the right has a little more contrast, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well maybe I am to sensitive to the noise but it really bugs me.

Nikon Samurai #13

Larry,

Like Grandpaw the only difference that's apparent to me is that the second image is a bit darker than the first one. You may have to post a crop of a portion of the image that is under-exposed and where more noise resides.

Do you have in-camera High ISO NR activated? I have High ISO NR set to Off per recommendation of Noise Ninja tech support personnel.

Bob

The 'free' version of Neat Image only allows low quality saves also, so unless you're using 'Pro' your image quality will be less than it was before cleaning. I try to take a shot during warmups, after a WB shot, of a player or coach with enough dark area showing to create a noise profile for the entire game (since I haven't messed around with preset profiles in Neat Image yet)
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

I do see a reduction in the noise amount,
    at this size is complicated
    you should see it a lot better being able to zoom at 100%

I usually do not apply unsharp mask to noisy areas
    and usualy do not use noise reduction where I want to see more detail
    this can sometimes keep me busy for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by DHMN69 View Post
    The 'free' version of Neat Image only allows low quality saves also, so unless you're using 'Pro' your image quality will be less than it was before cleaning. I try to take a shot during warmups, after a WB shot, of a player or coach with enough dark area showing to create a noise profile for the entire game (since I haven't messed around with preset profiles in Neat Image yet)
    Good tip! Thanks

Nikon Samurai #13

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Well maybe I am to sensitive to the noise but it really bugs me.
    Me too! That being said, I don't see a big noise issue in the first photo you posted, but I do think the image processed in Neat Image looks better. It looks a bit sharper to me. One of the problems that I have had trying to reduce noise it that I also reduce sharpness.

On the second set of images you posted, I can see the noise better and the Neat Image processed shot does look much better. It's especially noticeable in the ball, and in the people in the background that are a bit out of focus.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973 View Post
    Me too! That being said, I don't see a big noise issue in the first photo you posted, but I do think the image processed in Neat Image looks better. It looks a bit sharper to me. One of the problems that I have had trying to reduce noise it that I also reduce sharpness.

On the second set of images you posted, I can see the noise better and the Neat Image processed shot does look much better. It's especially noticeable in the ball, and in the people in the background that are a bit out of focus.
    Thanks Mike, I see exactly what you do in these images. I've been supplying some photos to OVC schools and want to put my best foot forward.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information