Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Southern League Baseball

It was 95 degrees in the shade today when these players too the field. All shots taken with a Nikon D200 and 70-200 AFS lens, mostly at f/2.8 and aperture priority.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern League Baseball-s5.jpg   Southern League Baseball-s6.jpg   Southern League Baseball-s9.jpg   Southern League Baseball-s11.jpg  

Re: Southern League Baseball

Pitchers need love, too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern League Baseball-s8.jpg   Southern League Baseball-s10.jpg   Southern League Baseball-s7.jpg  

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

you did very well with the colors, especially with the light you were working with. I wanna see that ball more though!Nice and sharp, with great color. what'd you do to these as far as PP goes?

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    you did very well with the colors, especially with the light you were working with. I wanna see that ball more though!Nice and sharp, with great color. what'd you do to these as far as PP goes?
    Thanks.

Yeah, the thing about getting the ball is that you don't typically get the expression. Notice the one with the ball coming off the bat? It's actually kinda boring compared to the rest, although its a tough moment to catch. My favorite is the first one, where you get both, although that image had a few problems with mixed exposures.

I'm lucky in that the ballpark has very nice colors in the grass and dirt. My lens does a great job with colors, too. I prefer the D200 set to "optimize/vivid 1" for these and prefer to shoot JPG. I did autolevels on a few of these and tweaked a few of them manually. No color adjustments were made.

Hey Lava, excellent work. Love the colors.
    John

Great job Lava. Nice to see you posting on the sports forum. I love your color saturation, the colors pop and make for some very interesting images. I know what you mean about the expressions, as a people photographer we are looking for that sometimes more than the peak action perhaps. Which every way you go you have some really nice photographs here. I have never tried the vivid image settings I have relied on PP to do that, but you may have convinced me to give it a try next time out.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Is that the Hagerstown Suns? Somewhere, buried in some boxes from my past, I have photos of the Suns when they were in the Carolina League and I'd shoot them whenever they came to Salem. Who is the team they are playing? I don't recognize the logo, but that's not surprising since it's been almost 20 years since I roamed the South shooting minor league games and stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdirtfreak
    Is that the Hagerstown Suns? Somewhere, buried in some boxes from my past, I have photos of the Suns when they were in the Carolina League and I'd shoot them whenever they came to Salem. Who is the team they are playing? I don't recognize the logo, but that's not surprising since it's been almost 20 years since I roamed the South shooting minor league games and stadiums.
    It's the Jacksonville (FL) Suns. The other team has one of the better names I've heard of: the Montgomery (AL) Biscuits. Here's a better shot of their logo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern League Baseball-bisc.jpg  

Thread Information