Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Race Track Safety

I thought about this last night and then after seeing one post about someone going to a race track I thought I'd say a few things about track safety. It doesn't matter if you have been doing track photography for 20 years or if it's your first time, there are some things you should know to keep yourself safe. Those of you who are experienced can probably add more to this thread, and those without experience are urged to ask questions. Just as there are no dumb questions in photography, there are no dumb questions when it comes to shooting safely, especially at a race track.
    The biggest thing is common sense, something I have seen cost photographers equipment, serious injury and even their lives because they did something without thinking about it first. A few years back several photographers were hit at Daytona while standing in an opening in the inside wall and car went out of control hitting them. They should have been behind the wall and facing the track, not in a group talking and not paying attention.

#1: Use common sense, think before you act
    #2: If there is a track photographer find out where you are allowed and where you are not allowed. Some tracks like ORPI (aka IRP) have a safety worker who has the job of making certain photographers stay in the areas they are allowed to be. If you don't follow his instructions they will pull your credentials and deny you further access.
    #3: stay alert, anything can happen at a track at any time. Walking by a car in the pit paddock a tire exploded and a piece of it hit me and another photographer.
    #4: always shoot with BOTH eyes open! The photo below of the midget in the catch fence was one time this paid off for me. The arrow points to the hole in the fence where I was shooting through and right where the car first hit the fence. I was shooting a car that was spinning in front of me when this one, well behind rode up a wheel and went airborne. There was no time to think, I hit the dirt and when I looked up the car was directly above me, 1 1/2 to two feet inside the photograhers area and close enough I could feel the heat off the motor. One photo shows me laying under the car that another photographer got.
    With the camera up in your face it's sometimes hard though to see things coming at you. I have been hit by parts and who knows how many times I have had tires come close to hitting me. I have a photo of a tire going past one photographers head, and a track gate hitting the same photographer after a car hit it causing it to fly open. Watch where you stand! Those gates look strong, but they can and will either open or fly off.
    #5: Always wear a headset and scanner and have the race and safety control frequencies. Also get to know the safety crews. One night shooting a wreck I didn't notice a tire come off a car and it was rolling right towards me. The safety crew leader knew me and said "photographer John take two steps right", As I did I was putting the camera down and see the tire as it rolls by hitting the wall behind me.
    #6: Always have a way out. Anything can happen at a track, make sure you have room to move right, left or backwards when something does happen.
    #7: Never turn your back to the track, even during practice or qualifying.
    #8: if shooting in the pits make sure your clear of any hoses, extension cords etc. Also stay clear of crew members. You don't want to get tangled up in an air hose when they pull it over the wall for a pitstop.

I'll have more, but now I have to send off this weekends pictures to the papers.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Track Safety-080404-102d.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Re: Race Track Safety

Good post John. I had an insightful welcome back too shoot FSCRA (Foreign Stock car racing Association) this past Saturday. South Sound Speedway is an Independent track, no major sanctioning body what so ever. I got signed in no problem, gear around my neck went and checked in with FSCRA President(my ex boss). Off to track reentry asked for permission to go into the infield, was told yeah stay inside the barricades should be no problem. On my scanner I hear someone ask reentry guy if I had permission. He answered with the same thing he told me,stay inside the barricades. I managed to get off 29 shots before they sent out a truck for a free ride back to the pits outside the track. Just before the trophy dashes the same Gentleman that gave me ride earlier said come to my truck before the dashes and you can shoot from my truck for the dashes, it was better than not getting any shots with out a fence in the way.
    Let me stress Independent track, they don't have the insurance like a track with a major sanctioning body behind it. The track is a paper clipped shaped 1/3 of a mile with maybe 10 degrees of banking.
    Jimmy B

Thanks Jimmy,
    I thought about doing this the other night when I came across the photo posted with the original message. I'll tell you what, I was shaking the rest of the night after that one, and only had 15 or 20 photos the rest of the night that were useable. That front wheel would have killed me if I hadn't hit the ground.

Jimmy, if you want to get a REAL rush shooting a race try this one, the Indiana State Fairgrounds where you have nothing but a two piece guardrail between you and the cars. You could litterally reach out and touch them as they go past at over 100mph. The guardrail is about the hieght of the front wheels. I can't count how many times I have left there with bruises all over from the cars throwing rocks. I know I had a nice knot on my left arm and right in front of my ear from last years race. You deffinately watch whats coming at you here, although it's pretty much a lost cause trying to run, it's best to just hit the dirt and hope it clears you if one does come over. It hasn't happened since I have been shooting there. I love shooting this one though, and it is a bit crazy.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Track Safety-js069151.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I've never shot a race, but I'll be looking up this post if I ever get the chance to shoot it from trackside, lots of good info here.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Thanks for the advice. My first track shoot will be May 12 and I plan to do most if not all of it from the stands. I wanted to familiarize myself with the track and hazards first. Looking more forward to enjoying the race and just hope to get some nice shots. Practice panning, high speed etc. Sounds like you've had some close encounters. The one that made you hit the ground might of been the end for me. Thanks for all your help.

Here are a few from "01" when my brother got me hooked as a stringer for the then winston cup race weekend @ LVMS.
    One shot is brother Dan outside of turn 4. If you stick your arm out it will get taken off!:cryin:
    Second is of bro and myself in turn one before the start of the NBS race. From that spot it is shoot the pack coming at you and duck from all the sand and grit that gets blown up.
    I have to wait 2 weeks to shoot my first dirt track! Looking forward to it and the shop I work in will have a motor and some of our machine work in it. Traveling winged 360 sprint cars.
    The biggest deal for since going digital is pay attention to the track and not at the lcd display.
    Jimmy B
    Sorry picture order got messed up:-(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Track Safety-plantedin1_1.jpg   Race Track Safety-brtcls_1_edited-2.jpg  

Jimmy,
    Yeah, I'd like to shoot from outside the turns at Indy but they require a certain number of years shooting there from what I hear, and they reall limit those creds. Hopefully I'll get to Kentucky this year so then I can get some outside the turn shots. I may do that at IRP too. They let you get the start and maybe 5 laps then it's off to the infield. I was getting some shots as the pack came off 4 and down the front straight at the speeddrome one night when two midgets went airborne, one hit the on track gate next to me the other the turn one catch fence, I never saw them coming

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I've never shot a race, but I'll be looking up this post if I ever get the chance to shoot it from trackside, lots of good info here.
    Glad you liked it...I just don't want to loose any members at a track, and if I can help with a question let me know!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    Thanks for the advice. My first track shoot will be May 12 and I plan to do most if not all of it from the stands. I wanted to familiarize myself with the track and hazards first. Looking more forward to enjoying the race and just hope to get some nice shots. Practice panning, high speed etc. Sounds like you've had some close encounters. The one that made you hit the ground might of been the end for me. Thanks for all your help.

May 12, what a fun day! Thats pole day at Indy and then I have a prom to shoot at the state fairgrounds that night....
    Eldora will be a tough place to shoot from the stands, I watched one race there and it was kind of tough to watch let alone shoot. Hopefully TS added some lighting to the place too!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Great post.

A couple more things I can think of...

I think this was already mentioned, but, NO CHIMPING while there is action going on. There is one knucklehead in this area that has to take a look at his LCD after every shot. WAIT until there is a break, and no cars on the track, before satisfying that urge to chimp

Wear light colored clothes. One track I shoot for has all employees in bright yellow shirts, the other has us in white; and they recommend that photographers dress in white. Make yourself easy to see.

Especially at smaller tracks, try to be in better lit areas. You're probably going to want that for your shooting anyhow, but try to avoid the areas where the lights don't hit.

And pay attention when "track packers" and push trucks are running the track in or pushing off the sprints. I've seen more than a few of those idiots try showing off to 'buds' in the stands, and end up ;osing control of their vehicle and slide thru the infield. Just last week at an area track, a track worker got hit by a push truck that lost control in the mud.

And when you find a decent place to shoot from, police the area before hand. Make sure there are no stray parts, big rocks, trash, whatever, that could trip you up if (when) you need to move in a hurry. Also check for gopher holes that are just waiting to break your ankle when you step in them.

Just some things I've learned along the way

One of our big promoters was killed last year out here in Wa. by a cars getting lined up for heat race. Fred Brownfield.
    Thanks for the info!
    Jimmy B

Thread Information