Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Night time race shots ????

Hi Gang

Just getting into this photo thing and i have an Nikon d5100 with the 18-55 and a 55-300 lens . I dont know if it will but I am concerned about the flash imparing the drivers vision while taking shots at our local 1/2mile dirt track. Any suggestions you could give me will help. I'm hoping my panning skills will be fairly good . I used to do a lot of skeet shooting and sporting clays with a shotgun so i have a basic understanding i hope.
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Re: Night time race shots ????

Quote Originally Posted by f86sabjf View Post
    Hi Gang

Just getting into this photo thing and i have an Nikon d5100 with the 18-55 and a 55-300 lens . I dont know if it will but I am concerned about the flash imparing the drivers vision while taking shots at our local 1/2mile dirt track. Any suggestions you could give me will help. I'm hoping my panning skills will be fairly good . I used to do a lot of skeet shooting and sporting clays with a shotgun so i have a basic understanding i hope.
    You may consider checking to see if using a flash is even permitted, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Gang

Having driven 1/4 mile dirt oval, I assure you that the drivers will never even see the flash unless you are sitting on the hood. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I will check on flash permission . I know i have seen a "track Photographer" up there before.
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Having driven 1/4 mile dirt oval, I assure you that the drivers will never even see the flash unless you are sitting on the hood. - Terry
    Thanks for the assurance Terry. I notice you are in IL now. You didnt buy chance race at the track over by Champagne did you?? I was in the area in the mid 80's during some Airforce training and saw some great racing up there.
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Thanks for the assurance Terry. I notice you are in IL now. You didnt buy chance race at the track over by Champagne did you?? I was in the area in the mid 80's during some Airforce training and saw some great racing up there.
    No, I raced a long time ago in eastern MI at 'Owendale'. I don't know if the track is still there or not. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information