Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Newbie to this forum

Hello all, I am a newby to this forum, I recognize some names from Ridemonkey however.
    I just started visiting this forum so I thought I would show you some of my work. comments are always welcome.

High quality stuff. I am not really qualified to comment though, to me this looks no different than anything else in the biking mags, so I guess I just don't "get it."

-Seb
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Top drawer stuff

These are excellent. Real top drawer images. I've never shoot this type of action but can only imagine how difficult it is to get great photographes like these. Thanks for posting,and pass along a few tip and show us some more images.

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Super nice stuff. I do shoot this type of stuff and I know how hard panning can be (at least for me). Love the fish eye shots, really give a cool perspective. I wish I had a fisheye to do some of those cool corner shots.

Thanks guys, the Shot with the Intense at Durango was in a mag, however the rest are just practice for my big break in the industry

The BMX shots are my favorites, they were experiments that I was doing when I first got my pocketwizards. They were shot 1/15 (the younger kids) and 1/30 (the pros) I was pretty psyched how they turned out. I shot those when I had my 70-200 4.0 from across the stadium.

The Corner shot is from Lake Arbor, our local dirt jump location same as these two.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Talking It's About @#% Time!

Welcome to the BEST photography community on the net!
    I expect to see a lot from you Josh!
    Don't forget the best forum here on PR.com, the Critique Forum.
    Hope the leg is healing!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Welcome to the BEST photography community on the net!
    I expect to see a lot from you Josh!
    Don't forget the best forum here on PR.com, the Critique Forum.
    Hope the leg is healing!
    Brian
    The leg is doing well, I am now limping along like a champion! I can't wait to get back on a bike that isn't fastened to a trainer. Patience..

Thanks for the warm welcome Brian, What races are you going to this year. I have decided to go to Idaho and Durango and that is all. The leg has slowed me down a bit.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hang In There!

Josh,
    I know what you are going through!
    A year ago I was in a cast, broke my leg riding..
    Not sure what races I'll get to this year, hoping to get to the one in Mamoth in September...
    Durango is out for sure, I'll probably be gone most of August, Schwitzer is a no go too..
    But defintely the Red Bull Rampage in October!
    Warm welcomes always go out to friends!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Cool, glad you are on here too Josh. I wish you could have made it to asheville this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulPirate
    Cool, glad you are on here too Josh. I wish you could have made it to asheville this year.

I wish I could have gotten there too... Oh well there is always next year!

Awesome - wecome!

Welcome to the sports forum, partner! Awesome photos. There's always room for another bike photographer here. I'm pretty sure I recognize the last photo. What magazine was it in? And are you the person who made that panoramic comp of the dirt jumps? It was of those same Lake Arbor jumps, if I remember right.

Anyway, glad to have you. You're good with the PocketWizards. I struggle a little with mine. Sometimes I just can't seem to get them to do what I think they should. There's a lot of math to juggle once the flash isn't attached to the camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I think the DJ pano was by spomer maybe?

A bugger
    Once we're talking about off camera flash, here's my first attempt from today's local DH race... A Sigma EF500 DG Super in manual slave mode fired off by the 10d's own flash set to -2 ev or something...

What do you think? I can say that in daylight the slave cell in the Sigma does not always fire, I'm thinking of byuing a 10m sync chord as an easy solution.. ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie to this forum-foorumi.jpg  

I thought it was Spomer, too

I thought it was Spomer, too. But then, for some reason I can't remember, I started to think it wasn't Spomer's. I'm pretty sure it's the same jumps, though.
    Photo-John

Start a new thread!

Ouvinen-
    Start a new thread for this one. It deserves its own discussion.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I thought it was Spomer, too. But then, for some reason I can't remember, I started to think it wasn't Spomer's. I'm pretty sure it's the same jumps, though.

Yeah Spomer shoots the same jumps pretty often, in fact he is a big part of making those jumps. I am, not Spomer .

The only shot in the ones that have been posted that was published was the shot of the guy on the intense. It was in Mtn Biking. Otherwise they are all just shots from my collection. I have been published in Mtn Biking and Flow...I am trying to get some others under my belt too but it seems pretty tough to get an in with some of them.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by MotionBoy
    Yeah Spomer shoots the same jumps pretty often, in fact he is a big part of making those jumps. I am, not Spomer .

The only shot in the ones that have been posted that was published was the shot of the guy on the intense. It was in Mtn Biking. Otherwise they are all just shots from my collection. I have been published in Mtn Biking and Flow...I am trying to get some others under my belt too but it seems pretty tough to get an in with some of them.

Thanks for the compliments guys!
    I'm new to the forum, also. I'm looking forward to learning from you and others who post here! Great captures!

Thanks! I am glad yu like them!

Re: Newbie to this forum

Quote Originally Posted by MotionBoy
    Hello all, I am a newby to this forum, I recognize some names from Ridemonkey however.
    I just started visiting this forum so I thought I would show you some of my work. comments are always welcome.

I too am new to this forum and I like what i see. I only thing I did not likein the first shot is the cropping of the rider in black .

Just registered. I guess this is to no one in particular because I read that I cannot start a new thread until I'v posted 5 times in the view/new member forums. I keep getting the same message re: the above so I hope this goes through..and I guess I'll post it 5 times. LOL! Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone reading a repeated message. Did I misunderstand the rules? Sorry if I did.
    marleneb

continue...

NSSA/AIPS

Quote Originally Posted by marleneb View Post
    Just registered. I guess this is to no one in particular because I read that I cannot start a new thread until I'v posted 5 times in the view/new member forums. I keep getting the same message re: the above so I hope this goes through..and I guess I'll post it 5 times. LOL! Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone reading a repeated message. Did I misunderstand the rules? Sorry if I did.
    marleneb

continue...
    I suggest you not post it 5 times, you'll just be labeled a spammer. Go to the introductions thread and post an introduction. Then wander down to one of the other forums perhaps the open forum (off topic forum) post a joke, or say something useful. By then you'll have an idea of how things flow around here and you can post your question in the most advantageous way.
    It's not about the camera....

i believe the shutter speed is set too low and try to follow through before and after the shot to minimize the motion blur on the subjects (2nd pic).

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lezeuddocke View Post
    i believe the shutter speed is set too low and try to follow through before and after the shot to minimize the motion blur on the subjects (2nd pic).
    The point of the photo is to use the motion blur to give the impression of motion, and the flash to freeze them in action among the blur of movement. It's well done, too.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

oh i see. hmm i guess it's personal preference? or are these kinds of shots ideal as well?
    because maybe I wouldnt mind the blur much if it was done a little bit neater.. like the blur in straight lines.

But yes I see your point, they do look like they're moving.

Sorry I'm new to sports photography and would like to learn more about it. I appreciate the comments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lezeuddocke View Post
    oh i see. hmm i guess it's personal preference? or are these kinds of shots ideal as well?
    because maybe I wouldnt mind the blur much if it was done a little bit neater.. like the blur in straight lines.

But yes I see your point, they do look like they're moving.

Sorry I'm new to sports photography and would like to learn more about it. I appreciate the comments as well.
    Well, it *is* a matter of taste. Don't think you *have* to like that photo or that style. It is a common way to shoot some kinds of low light action sports. It allows you to give a sense of the action instead of just having your subject frozen against a black background.
    Photo-John

Thread Information