Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    Posts
    76

    Newbie needs some advice

    I'm new to the forum, got baited in by Photo-John's new Sports Photography forum...

    Anyway, he suggested I post pics in this forum to get some advice on composition, colors, shading, etc. I apologize in advance for the fact that most of my photos will be mountain bike related.

    Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following shot I took at a race last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie needs some advice-red-dirt-rendezvous-2003-010.jpg  

  2. #2
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,972

    Welcome...

    Not bad!
    It has good flow, with the riders.
    I would recommend you look at some of the magazines out there, that do a lot of race coverage, to see what is going on as far as race photos go.
    I have covered a few XC races and find them challenging.
    If anything look for those unusual moments in a race. The look back to the pack of the leader, the finish line moments, etc.
    Keep shooting!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety... - Ansel Adams

    "Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

  3. #3
    What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Not bad!
    It has good flow, with the riders.
    I would recommend you look at some of the magazines out there, that do a lot of race coverage, to see what is going on as far as race photos go.
    I have covered a few XC races and find them challenging.
    If anything look for those unusual moments in a race. The look back to the pack of the leader, the finish line moments, etc.
    Keep shooting!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Thanks Brian, I appreciate the tips.

    The XC races are challenging to get shots, but if the racing is tight (as in the photo above) they can be fun to shoot. The thing that XC races do offer is the ability to get multiple shots as most classes do more than 1 lap.

    I'm trying to get hooked up with some freeride guys to shoot some shots of them, I'll post if I get anything good out of it.

  4. #4
    CB Photography CB Photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by JDub
    I'm new to the forum, got baited in by Photo-John's new Sports Photography forum...

    Anyway, he suggested I post pics in this forum to get some advice on composition, colors, shading, etc. I apologize in advance for the fact that most of my photos will be mountain bike related.

    Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the following shot I took at a race last year.

    I like the layout and the space of the riders, the look on the first riders face says alot.

    Chris

  5. #5
    She that is all Fru TheFru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    53
    Phew! I'm no expert in the bike faction, but my opinion would be that he needs just a little space below his front wheel. The expression and moment are PERFECT! Very intense moment and I just feel he needs a tad more space to move into...not a whole lot. I can imagine these are hard moments to capture, so my kudos to you guys that CAN!

    To quote MTB "Ride ON!"
    Tanya
    Every artist was first an amateur. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Like, zoinks! - Shaggy

  6. #6
    What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFru
    Phew! I'm no expert in the bike faction, but my opinion would be that he needs just a little space below his front wheel. The expression and moment are PERFECT! Very intense moment and I just feel he needs a tad more space to move into...not a whole lot. I can imagine these are hard moments to capture, so my kudos to you guys that CAN!

    To quote MTB "Ride ON!"
    Tanya
    Good point about the front wheel. Luckily, that was just a cropping decision/mistake on my part and I have a little more in the original picture.

    I'm stoked as I just got my first paying job. Not much, but its a start and getting paid anything for something I enjoy so much is a great bonus.

    Thanks to all for your help.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    6
    I like how you've got the riders positioned, coming in and out of the turn, good comp. The image looks a litte soft, not sure if that was your intent or not. Maybe a faster shutter speed w/ hight speed fill flash could have accomplished that. In addition to this shot, I would have liked to have seen a tighter composition on the exiting rider's face, he's got a great expression. Good shot.
    Cory
    <a href="http://www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&pi=SIERRA4MEE" target="_blank">My portfolio</a>

  8. #8
    mod squad gahspidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    N.Y. U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,368
    JDub,
    I think you good on this shot. I could only add that a bit more sharpness would have helped, as another stated a higher shutter speed and maybe a synched fill flash. Also agree with the comment on more picture under front wheel. Good that you have it to add back again.
    please do not edit and repost my photos


    gary


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •