Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Illegal Telephoto Lens

Until a few weeks ago I had never taken a camera to a sporting event. So I was surprised when attending a NBA game they were not going to let me in with my telephoto lens. According to security any lens longer than their name badge was classified as professional. I promised not to use the lens and they reluctantly let me in. I do not know if this rule is arena, sport, or all pro sports specific, but I will call the next time before I take my gear. Some walks from where you park can be lengthy. Have any of you had similar issues when trying to take pictures at sporting events?

Re: Illegal Telephoto Lens

I haven't tried to take my camera to a hockey game. But I know they have a similar rule at the Shark Tank, in San Jose. If I remember right, a 70-200 f/2.8 lens will make it in, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

At the San Jose Arena when I checked on the website, it showed no cameras. On the phone they said point and shoots were ok. At the door it was any camera with a lens shorter than 6in. I could get my 70-300 in there no problem. But yes, you'll need to check with them.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

I took my D50 w/Quantaray 70-300 to an NBA game and they let me in no problem. However, after taking non-stop photos the entire warm-up and first quarter, I was tapped on the shoulder by security and asked to check the camera with them. Apparently it was deemed "professional" due to the length of the lens (and the Quantaray is fairly small when it comes to zooms). On the walk to check it in, I asked about it, and he told me that it was an NBA policy not to allow any lenses over 6". He said it was best to call before any event as each organization might have different rules. At least they had a secure are to check the camera (I removed the card before leaving it and left early to pick it up).
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

This is typical of the pro sports community now. Lots of cameras would put us media types out of work and then the organizations and athletes would lose the royalties from photo sales as well. In other words it's all about $$$, just like everything else.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

also, any white lens will usually get kicked out.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

ny white lens will usually get kicked out
    Damn, must sell my Canons and buy Nikon
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

how about those super zoom P&S Cameras? The Canon S3IS has 12x zoom and new TX1 will have 10x zoom (400+ mm equivalent).

Add their 1.5x teleconverter to the S3IS and bring the zoom to almost 650mm equivalent, though with that, it probably becomes longer than the namebadge unless you get the guy with the long name :lol:

Ah...the other advantage of a compact digital...sneakiness
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

well they figure anything off a superzoom p&s from the stands wont exactly be high quality anyways, so they don't worry about it.

Does this type of lens limitation extend beyond Pro sports? Has it started creeping into armature and or Simi Pro sports? We have a Simi Pro baseball team the Dayton Dragons. I haven't check but are these off limits too? Okay, lets go back to the NBA Bobcats game that I went to. Their not exactly hot right now and there was plenty of professional photographer space on the floor. Do you have to be affiliated with a known media conglomerate or just have the dollars for a media pass? I know questions,quesitons, questions.

PS. Thanks for all the feedback

As much as liked the idea of getting my own Pro shot I found that I could not enjoy the game and take pictures at the same time. So for me maybe it’s not such a loss after all.

i hope this doesnt extend to NASCAR events as well

NASCAR started all this mess! Certain drivers (from Indiana as well as others) began complaining about people selling their photos online. One in particular has been known to sue people for doing this. If you ever get a chance take a look at a NASCAR ticket or credential and it states THEY own the rights to ALL images of the event!
    And if you go to a NASCAR race and they see a big white lens you better have a credential.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    NASCAR started all this mess! Certain drivers (from Indiana as well as others) began complaining about people selling their photos online. One in particular has been known to sue people for doing this.

JS
    TS or JG? Neither one would surprise me.

Semi pro teams have team photographers, even college level is tough to get a big enough lens in to be of any use. It's trickling down to high schools as well. Even some small race tracks have camera bans. One here doesn't allow any video cameras at all and limits the size of still cameras and lenses. Unless you are crede4ntialed your pretty much stuck with a P&S.
    99% of the time you do need credentials to get into events, especially if you have big lenses....many will be glad to charge you though. It can cost $100 - $2,500 though!

As for not being able to enjoy the games while shooting, thats true, you miss a lot looking through the viewfinder. But I'd still rather be up close and next to the action. Hopefully the 24th I'll be at the AMA Supercross again this year. I just put the request in today with the paper....it's nice when I can find work for myself and the paper goes for it :thumbsup:

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    NASCAR started all this mess! Certain drivers (from Indiana as well as others) began complaining about people selling their photos online. One in particular has been known to sue people for doing this. If you ever get a chance take a look at a NASCAR ticket or credential and it states THEY own the rights to ALL images of the event!
    And if you go to a NASCAR race and they see a big white lens you better have a credential.

JS

yeah this applies to many other sporting events as well. Basically all pro stuff now has that rule. Unfortunately no one reads the fine print.

Hi all,

I came accross this for the first time today. Over the weekend we had a car race here in Adelaide ( I am going to post some images at some stage later), where I took images from the stands (being an amature & all....). It was suggested to me that I should check prior to submitting anything online, so a quick email was sent to the promoter. I was advised I could post, as long as the images were not for sale & were not used for any promotioins. Sweet for me!!!

But this has got me investigating. The next major event in Australia is the F1 GP in Melbourne. I did some snooping & they have a 300mm lense limit. Mind you, I have never heard anyone having equipment not let in.

It was a bit of a wake up reminder for me & a little disappointing. I have no intention to sell images (at the moment & if I ever did, It will be done properly)& thankfully it appears we have not got to this stage in Australia, but I dont think that it will be before long. Sure, the Pro's need to make a living, but there are some hardcore hobbiests who just want to do it for their own satisfaction (me included)

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    well they figure anything off a superzoom p&s from the stands wont exactly be high quality anyways, so they don't worry about it.
    That makes a Leica V-Lux 1 12X superzoom worth renting or buying if you are in to shooting sports events.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    also, any white lens will usually get kicked out.
    Oh, fine. Black lenses are ok, but white lenses no. Reverse discrimination, if you ask me...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    how about those super zoom P&S Cameras? The Canon S3IS has 12x zoom and new TX1 will have 10x zoom (400+ mm equivalent).

Add their 1.5x teleconverter to the S3IS and bring the zoom to almost 650mm equivalent, though with that, it probably becomes longer than the namebadge unless you get the guy with the long name :lol:

Ah...the other advantage of a compact digital...sneakiness
    Found this P&S on the Internet for $400: The Fujifilm Finepix S9600 features: New 28-300mm (10.7x) Fujinon zoom lens with manual twist-barrel zoom control. My guess, is when the P&S catch up with the SLR's they will just ban cameras altogether. I know Brent mentioned that the quality is not the same. How bad is zoom versus true telephoto when it comes to quality? The quality of the lense would play a big role here I am sure. So I guess the new question is. What P&S or Lens would you buy to take the pics you want at most sporting events that would be legal.

JMK

I guess it depends on the sport and the venue.

I once declared myself a member of the media, and was given ringside access to a boxing event. I used my website as my credentials.

Matt Vanda vs. Anthony Bonsante
    Friday, January 12th 2006
    at the Target Center in Minneapolis, MN

Last edited by JMK; 03-08-2007 at 12:34 PM.

well that just tears it.
    ive got tickets to talladega busch and cup, bristol night race,busch cup and trucks and kansas ,busch and truck. i had hoped to take my 70-300 and get some cool shots.
    i sure as heck dont wanna find myself having to check my k100d and lense.
    gonna have to do some checking before i go.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK
    I guess it depends on the sport and the venue.

I once declared myself a member of the media, and was given ringside access to a boxing event. I used my website as my credentials.
    Great action shot...make me want to get my own web site.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Well at the NASCAR Nextel Cup there were cameras all over the place, everyone who bought a Neon Garage, Pit Lane, or Pre-Race Activities ticket seemed to have a camera
    There were no objections to taking pictures from any of the security people, in fact it was the most laid back event I've been to from the security perspective.

You made me go read the weekend credential again, nothing on there about images except "the holder grants permission to Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS) and its affiliates (and their respective licensees and affiliates) to utilize the Holder's image, likeness, actions and statements in any live or recorded audio, video, or photographic display or other transmission, exhibition or reproduction made of, or at, the events without further authorization or compensation."
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

SmartWombat
    :mad2:
    Ok now what did you say! Seems to me it states they own your photo.
    I even get the impression, that if you went home and oil painted a scene you
    remembered. They could own that too?

Newbie Here
    rovowen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information