Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Girls volleyball with a 6’5” hitter

Last week there was an article on the local sports page about a very tall girl who stars for a high school volleyball team in a town 10 miles from here. As a senior Miss Jones is now at 6’5”. (For comparison I checked the roster of the women volleyball teams at Chico State and two other California universities, and the tallest player I could find was 6’1”). Her school has won four straight Section volleyball championships and under her leadership are striving now to make it five in a row.

I recall seeing this girl play at home two years ago when as a sophomore she was already starring on the Varsity. By this time I normally would have visited her school several times to see her championship team play except for one thing. The gym at Hamilton City High School has one of the worst lighting systems I have yet encountered. Because of this fact, the school is on my boycott list. Nevertheless I was intrigued by the idea of seeing her play again as a senior.

What to do? I decided to refer to the Hamilton City High School volleyball schedule to determine where the team was scheduled to play away from home. It turned out that they were playing that very night at a high school 36 miles away. That’s further than I would normally drive, and I have never visited that school before, but I figured that the lighting system couldn’t be any worse than the one at Hamilton City, so I decided to make the trek to Willows High School.

The lighting system was not as bad as the one at Hamilton City, but it wasn’t far behind. As soon as I stepped inside the gym I knew that i had a lighting challenge. The light level was low and every frame shot had a color different than the one either before or after it. So I cranked up the ISO to 12800 at 1/500 and f/3.5 on my D700/80-200 f/2.8 combo, fingered my imaginary prayer beads, and stepped forth for action.

It took five sets to complete the match, but Hamilton City (blue jerseys) finally won out 3-2. Miss Jones had 19 kills for the evening. She's player #10 in the blue jersey and appears in the first three photos.

Comments are welcome.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -7rb_5888_2.jpg   -7rb_5999_2.jpg   -7rb_5963_3.jpg   -7rb_5939_2.jpg  

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Girls volleyball with a 6’5” hitter

How much does someone that tall playing affect how you shoot the game?
    Is it just a change of zoom, or position if you're using a prime ?

Strange, because I usually look for expressions, but I think the 3rd shot from behind the shooter is my favourite.
    Partly the expression of the blocker, but mostly because of the shape the shooter is making in the air - I don't think you could have captured that better.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Paul,

Thanks for the response.

I really didn't shoot the game any different than I normally do. There are times when I might have backed off on the zoom a bit in order to make sure that I captured all of Miss Jones. When I first saw her on the court she was by herself, and she didn't look all that tall, but when she was alongside her teammates she made them all look like midgets!

#3 is my very favorite of the shots I took at this match. That one alone was worth the price of admission! On the original image her face was rather over-exposed but I was able to adjust the exposure enough to remedy the situation and bring out the important facial expression.

Bob

Some game's event has took place as you can see this by the image so i hope essaysmaster.com reviews can be really nice in this concern for the rest of the people. I know that this will be nice as we can hope so we all are ready to do some bit of a research in the following day.

Thread Information