Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Car Show, Burnouts/Flame-Throwing

I'm not really *that* much of a car person, but a grandfather of a local softball player, and former coffee shop owner where I ate a lot of pressed sandwiches asked me to come shoot his car show and burnout/flame-throwing show back on August 6th.

Car show portion cut way short due to rain.. I ran out just getting quick shots of most of the cars before it poured, most hoods were down and windows up at that point.

The weather cleared out in time for the spectator shows.. pretty good crowd too.. I'd been before but without camera. Shot burnouts and flame throwing with flash mounted 3-4 feet below the camera, my HS football setup for this fall.

MORE photos from both events
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Re: Car Show, Burnouts/Flame-Throwing

Oh man - that last shot is killer. Love the chopped off crop, the driver and the people in the background. I don't know if you're looking for any suggestions, but I'd like to see it cropped just left of the driver and see the color improved a bit. It looks like you corrected for the flames but the driver and car look too blue / cyan. It shouldn't be too hard to selectively correct the color so it looks more natural. I'd be happy to give you post-processing tips you you want them

Thanks for sharing these. They are sweet!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I actually only did auto-levels on them for the time being.. so I can go back and edit still.. and I know I should shoot RAW I just don't do it.. could probably do a batch color fix for the flash turning stuff blueish.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

That last one is crazy! Love it!
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Quote Originally Posted by DHMN69 View Post
    I actually only did auto-levels on them for the time being.. so I can go back and edit still.. and I know I should shoot RAW I just don't do it.. could probably do a batch color fix for the flash turning stuff blueish.
    Auto levels averages colors and contrast and a serious photographer never wants average. I know it's a good quick way to give your photos a little tune-up. But I've always argued, if it's good enough to share, it's good enough to set up right

And RAW - I encourage everyone (except maybe news photographers who have to upload immediately to an agency) to shoot in RAW mode. You can always convert to JPEG quickly if you need JPEGs. But there's so much more data in a RAW file and you'll almost never end up with a really unsolvable white balance problem. I'm sure you can still tune this photo up but I don't think you'll be able to get it as good as if you'd shot it RAW. RAW is a little more effort but totally worth it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Woohhhh that's one big nice car...very impressive!

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Great stuff! Wicked cool.Those night shots rock.Congrats on the featured sticky.

Rick

What a stunning photos here, I am hypnotized! I am not into cars very much, too, but I must confess most of old ones look brilliant on pictures. Happily, there are many sources for noobs like me where one can check many guides related to autos and auto parts (I just finished reading a post about welders https://automotivecraze.com/mig-mag-welders/ , for example).

Good car topic!

Many car owners think how best to protect their property from accidents and breakdowns. I suggest you take a look at the comparative scale of the two companies https://www.general.com/articles/pro...ve-vs-esurance and choose the most profitable solution. In the table you will find the cost of services depending on your driving experience and the presence of accidents. In any case, your car will be under financial protection.

eva

Woohhhh that's one big nice car...very impressive!

Thread Information