Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Seb

Choice of lense for car racing...

Howdy guys!

In two weeks from now a relative of mine will be racing his car on a track and I'd like to shoot few frames for him. Now, I have strictly no experience with sports photography, I am an absolute newbie in this area.

I might have the opportunity to be reasonably close from the track but I am concerned about the choice of lense. Would a 28mm/80mm f/2.8 lense (used at 80mm) give decent results or should I rent something like a fast 80mm-200mm or a 200mm prime?

I don't own a monopod so I'd like to be able to shoot hand held. For the records, I'll be using a Nikon D70.

regards

Seb

Re: Choice of lense for car racing...

You didn't mention if it will be night or day time. I shoot racing all the time, day, night, tiny tracks to Indy. I use the same lens, a 70-200 f2.8. The shot (top one) here Article: Learn How to Take Action Shots is taken at night while panning. It is not cropped and the setting are shown below it. No flash was used for this either.
    The shot here was taken yesterday at Indy. Both with the same camera and lens with settings at f22 shutter 1/160 ISO 800.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    You didn't mention if it will be night or day time. I shoot racing all the time, day, night, tiny tracks to Indy. I use the same lens, a 70-200 f2.8. The shot (top one) here Article: Learn How to Take Action Shots is taken at night while panning. It is not cropped and the setting are shown below it. No flash was used for this either.
    The shot here was taken yesterday at Indy. Both with the same camera and lens with settings at f22 shutter 1/160 ISO 800.
    Hello JS,

I'll be shooting during daytime which is going to be relatively easier I assume. The quality of your pictures is great. You clearly know your way arround racing photography.

Regards

Seb

Definitely 70-200

Seb-
    70-200 AF-S would definitely be the way to go for you. You should have no problem finding a pro shop in your area that will rent that lens. Track access is important. Is your relative actually racing or is it just a track day? Track days usually offer almost unlimited track access. It's pretty easy to get close and shoot from wherever you want. But at an actual race you might find it a lot harder. If it's a real race, see if you can talk to the sanctioning organization and get a media pass so that you have better access.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Seb

Re: Definitely 70-200

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Seb-
    70-200 AF-S would definitely be the way to go for you. You should have no problem finding a pro shop in your area that will rent that lens. Track access is important. Is your relative actually racing or is it just a track day? Track days usually offer almost unlimited track access. It's pretty easy to get close and shoot from wherever you want. But at an actual race you might find it a lot harder. If it's a real race, see if you can talk to the sanctioning organization and get a media pass so that you have better access.
    Thanks John,

I'll have to check out with him but I am 90% positive that this is a track day. I should be able to rent a 70-200 quite easily.

regards

seb

Thanks Seb,
    I have been shooting races for 5 years now. After only one year of shooting racing I found myself shooting the Indy 500 for a local paper, the following year I was shooting at Indy for the AP. It's a lot of fun, but it can also be VERY dangerous. I almost got hit by a flipping midget last year.
    Whatever you do follow these rules when shooting at ANY motorsport event:
    1: have BOTH eyes open at all times - that saved me when the midget flipped!
    2: check with track officials as to where you are allowed to shoot from
    3: leave yourself 2 or 3 "outs" so if you have to get out of the way you can.
    4: pay attention - don't be looking at your shots or talking while cars are racing around
    5: never shoot from a wall opening where cars can get to you
    Smaller tracks are more dangerous than larger tracks. The most dangerous though are the ones where you shoot from the outside of track. Cars can and will go over the wall!

As John noted, you will probably need credentials to get in to take photos. Some tracks may charge you. I have seen tracks charge as much as $100. Others do not allow any cameras other than their own photographer(s) and (news) media. Getting in the latter places can be difficult.
    I'd suggest contacting the tracks promotor to work out the details on race day access.

JS

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Thanks Seb,
    I have been shooting races for 5 years now. After only one year of shooting racing I found myself shooting the Indy 500 for a local paper, the following year I was shooting at Indy for the AP. It's a lot of fun, but it can also be VERY dangerous. I almost got hit by a flipping midget last year.
    Whatever you do follow these rules when shooting at ANY motorsport event:
    1: have BOTH eyes open at all times - that saved me when the midget flipped!
    2: check with track officials as to where you are allowed to shoot from
    3: leave yourself 2 or 3 "outs" so if you have to get out of the way you can.
    4: pay attention - don't be looking at your shots or talking while cars are racing around
    5: never shoot from a wall opening where cars can get to you
    Smaller tracks are more dangerous than larger tracks. The most dangerous though are the ones where you shoot from the outside of track. Cars can and will go over the wall!

As John noted, you will probably need credentials to get in to take photos. Some tracks may charge you. I have seen tracks charge as much as $100. Others do not allow any cameras other than their own photographer(s) and (news) media. Getting in the latter places can be difficult.
    I'd suggest contacting the tracks promotor to work out the details on race day access.

JS
    Thanks JS,

Actually, this is not an official race or anything like it. It's an open session were folks come with their own everyday car to do things that they don't (or at least aren't supposed to...) do on road. Turns out that it will be at night and that people can access pit stops. It should be interesting.

regards

Seb

Sounds like a roadcourse or dragstrip then. Still have to be safe.... even more so with a bunch of rookies out there!

Well night definately makes things more interesting. You will need a f2.8 lens and the 70-200 will work great. Depending on the lighting you will get either a yellow or blue tint to your photos (http://ihssw.biz/photgcorner.htm for some examples ). Some tracks have strange lighting that really messes up the auto metering. I shoot almost everything in manual mode except I use autofocus (which is broken right now!)

Oh, I also use flash at night races, play with the flash settings and ISO to get the lighting you need. Normally at ovals the lighting is against you, your in the infield shooting towards the lights, the flash helps in this case. I normally run the flash at around 1/4, ISO 800 to 1000 depending on track and anywhere from 160 to 500 on shutter speed
    JS
    Last edited by JSPhoto; 08-17-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Drag Racing?

Night drag race photos can be really cool. Is that what you're shooting? I'm getting excited to see your pictures. Don't hold out on us!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Seb

Re: Drag Racing?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Night drag race photos can be really cool. Is that what you're shooting? I'm getting excited to see your pictures. Don't hold out on us!
    Howdy Jonh. I apologize for the delay, I lost track of this tread. This was indeed drag race but nothing good came out of it.There were fences ruining the view pretty much everywhere. I haven't post processed anything yet. I'll see what I can submit here but it wont be great art....

Thank you for inquiring.

Seb

Hmmm, I HATE fences! Thats where the media credential comes in handy as the people who hold those normally don't have to deal with fences.........there are occasions though.

JS

Thread Information