Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A700

Smile A700

Hey to all good Sony people
    I looking for a good price on a new A700 any one have a tip for me???
    thanks for your help

Re: A700

They are pretty well price controlled, finding a variation in pricing is unlikely, and if it happens I would even be weary about it. The MSRP is pretty fair, I would not get the 18-70 kit, the 16105 kit is only $100 more for a much better lens, or I would get body only and supply your own lens.

One important thing to remember, as *soon* as you get your A700, make sure it is version 4.0 firmware, if not, upgrade it to 4.0... Do you already have lens in the Sony mount?

thanks guy
    I don't care much for kit lens.
    but a good macro , have you any feelings:idea: about that
    your input would get great

How much magnification would you want on your macro, and at what focal length would you want the macro? The Minolta 70-210 f4 (Beercan) is a must get for its price and performance for all people with a Sony body, it is a *bit* of a macro lens, with a 1:4 Magnification at the 210mm range (315mm field of view 35mm equivalent).

If you need something with more magnification, minolta has in its system Macros that go as close as 3:1, and at ranges between 50mm and 300mm.

thanks again
    AH yes the Beer Can-- this camera is a replacement for my wife so weight and size are very important
    Thinking more in a 70mm to 105mm macro range or even Better a good combo carry around
    Sorry I have been buying nothing but lens for a Nikon mount or Olympus gear for years
    so I am very ignorant on what's available for Sony gear
    thanks for all your help

As you might know Circuit City is going out of business, you might want to check your local store for bargains. From what I heard they raised their prices and had a 10% discount so nothing good yet, may improve in the following weeks.
    I read that last week the A700 was on sale $ 999 Sonystile.

well I have managed to find a new A700 Yes its big but not nearly as big as my Nikon d300
    I was impressed with the picture quality and view finder was big and bright.
    my birthday search is narrowed down to the Sony A700 and the Pentax k20.
    I have not been able to find a Pentax to hold or try out.
    My wife's birth day is coming up fast.
    I will go out today again to try to find a Pentax.
    Pentax Advantage is weather sealed Lens's and a very well seal body and Price
    Advantage Sony I have a kit lens and a top end flash in house and availability
    size is very important Having not seen a Pentax or taken and sample shots makes it hard to go in that direction, But price is less
    I will keep all posted

Quote Originally Posted by pisco
    As you might know Circuit City is going out of business, you might want to check your local store for bargains. From what I heard they raised their prices and had a 10% discount so nothing good yet, may improve in the following weeks.
    I read that last week the A700 was on sale $ 999 Sonystile.
    stopped by short circuit city a little while ago
    they had one an obvious demo scratched and dirty no box the quoted me $$999.00
    LOL
    on sale what a joke
    it was worth a try thanks for the tip:idea: :mad2:

thanks for the Tip on the firmware
    Question I hope you can clear up what does the latest firmware improve
    Interesting you mention that 2 of the camera sales people told not to buy an old model A700
    that the newest models were better in several way's ?????
    If that's true what improvements were they talking about?
    They both told me the same thing , at 2 different companies.
    A sales pitch or the truth both said that their cameras were of the news designs and had the latest updates

thanks for your help

Well $1000 is a good price, but the last thing you want is a demo from circuit city, I worked at a Compusa way back when and one of the favorite things kids like to do with those cameras is stick their fingers in the pentaprism.

New ones will have version 4 firmware, old ones you have to update to version 4...

big question !!!:idea:
    Firmware the original and the latest 4.0.
    I have been seen a box full of samples on line of mushy soft photos from the A700
    with muddy colors.
    I have been told the new firmware fix's this problem!!! boy I hope so
    do any of you have any samples with the latest upgrade.
    Sharp , clear clean sharp photos I hope:idea:

thank you

Well, honestly the only actual important thing it changed was noise performance, when I upgraded from 1 to 3, then 3 to 4, I immediately noticed a difference in 400-3200 (each time) ISO noise performance. *HUGE* difference. It also added a few new features, you could change noise reduction off for high ISO use (1600+) plus a few other small things I don't really remember.

I suppose the high saturation/muddy colors could have been an example of the high ISO noise reduction process of the 1.0 firmware, other then that 1.0 did damned well.
    Not organized enough to have samples ready... Sorry, please trust that noise is significantly reduced.

I was on 1.0 for a while,

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Hey Blizzard,

Like Anbesol said, the v4 firmware was mostly a high ISO noise fix. It also extended the auto-bracketing range as well as a couple of small bug fixes. The a700 is very capable of sharp pictures, but it really depends on a number of factors. People who shoot JPEGs on the a700 generally add +1 or +2 to the in camera sharpening.

"Muddy colors" indeed sounds like what could have been a pre-v4 high ISO shot. Often referred to as a watercolor effect.

I haven't got time to post samples at the moment, but I'll try to stop by later to do so.

I added +1 to in camera sharpening for a very brief period but it butchered my photos, made processing much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Hey Blizzard,

Like Anbesol said, the v4 firmware was mostly a high ISO noise fix. It also extended the auto-bracketing range as well as a couple of small bug fixes. The a700 is very capable of sharp pictures, but it really depends on a number of factors. People who shoot JPEGs on the a700 generally add +1 or +2 to the in camera sharpening.

"Muddy colors" indeed sounds like what could have been a pre-v4 high ISO shot. Often referred to as a watercolor effect.

I haven't got time to post samples at the moment, but I'll try to stop by later to do so.

I just spent a few minutes on your gallery well done
    congratulations:thumbsup:

I think you are right about older firmware and low end lens
    My hope is to replace 2 older camera body's with a a700 next week
    and my d300 with a a 900 by late spring
    send a photo or 2 thanks:aureola:

You'll find plenty of my a700 images on flickr. Link is in my sig. Also, plenty to see on the a700 flickr group pool.

Re: A700 photo

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    You'll find plenty of my a700 images on flickr. Link is in my sig. Also, plenty to see on the a700 flickr group pool.

excellent work skillful stunning composition
    clean clear color and sharp toooooo good job :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Well $1000 is a good price, but the last thing you want is a demo from circuit city, I worked at a Compusa way back when and one of the favorite things kids like to do with those cameras is stick their fingers in the pentaprism.

New ones will have version 4 firmware, old ones you have to update to version 4...
    How right you are

can any one fill me in on the quality of the software that comes with the Sony???
    One of my boys uses an a100 hates the standard Sony software and uses Photo something or other
    thanks again :idea:

The packaged software is never something to sing about, Sony's raw process software is alright, does what its supposed to. I wouldn't put any concern in packaged software, Photoshop is the only one you need...

Re: A700 photo

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard
    excellent work skillful stunning composition
    clean clear color and sharp toooooo good job :thumbsup:
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard
    can any one fill me in on the quality of the software that comes with the Sony???
    One of my boys uses an a100 hates the standard Sony software and uses Photo something or other
    thanks again
    Well, back when I first got my a100, I installed all of the Sony software, which included a RAW converter and Sony's Picture Motion Browser organizing software. The RAW converter is pretty quick and easy to use, and it'll do batch conversions too. However, I didn't use it much because RAW converters added more time and effort to my work flow.

The Sony Picture Motion Browser I used quite a bit. It quickly became my program of choice for quickly viewing and organizing my photo's. It was a real pleasure to use. I'd still be using it today except I have discovered Adobe Lightroom. It is the one stop shop for photo organization and editing. Add to that web gallery creation, printing directly from LR, and a slideshow module.

Blizzard, sorry for spamming your thread here...

Canuck, do you use anything apart from LR, like Elements, or can you do everything you want in LR?

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Lightroom satisfies probably 99% of my needs. If you have Photoshop and you need layers or something else you can't achieve in LR, you can take an image from LR and send it to Photoshop. Then, do what you need to do in Photoshope, then save and close in Photoshop, and the image shows up in LR again with all your Photoshop edits. It's brilliant really.

Thanks, Canuck Then it will most likely satisfy 99% of my needs too, if not all! I've been making queries at Newbie question: Do I need both Lightroom AND Elements? but I'm not sure I understand it all, but you, that's straight talking, thank you big time

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Dragonfly
    Thanks, Canuck Then it will most likely satisfy 99% of my needs too, if not all! I've been making queries at Newbie question: Do I need both Lightroom AND Elements? but I'm not sure I understand it all, but you, that's straight talking, thank you big time

Mette
    Thanks guys I will check it out

Hey hey in my search for a new camera one of the managers at a camera store hinted there may be a a New or upgraded a700 or something soon!
    Have any of you heard that rumor:idea: ---------------keep me posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information