Question Moving Photo Critique to the New Gallery

I've been planning on moving the Photo Critique forum to the new gallery. It has ratings, good message board capabilities, it links to the user profiles, and I think the thumbnails will increase views and responses. But I don't want to just pull the rug out from under the people who use this forum all the time. It's your forum. So what does everyone think about moving the Photo Critique forum to the new gallery system? Pros, cons? Should we have both? I really want to know what you think.

Thanks for your feedback!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm all for it. I also hate the guesswork behind clicking and finding something you didn't expect. Makes me not want to even look.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I vote for the new gallery

I know I don't post here much but sometimes it feels like it's hunt-and-peck. I try not to critique photos that aren't my bag simply because I think I may judge more harshly because I don't like the topic than I would if it had been something I enjoyed (no offense guys, but MTB just is not my thing). But having to open each and everyone to see what's behind the subject (not all subjects reveal the content) gets tiring sometimes.

But with the new gallery, I love that not only can you see the pics right off the bat, but that you can go to a very specific category. So, put me down as the lone voice (so far) preferring the new gallery

D

woo hoo

More efficient and easier to use! I'm all for it...i don't post or critique as much cause it's a bear to try and open scroll read and respond...too much work too little time...it's a fab idea and I really find the new gallery more visually appealing.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

We have a go, flight...

John,

Like the others, I think it's all upside to make the move...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been planning on moving the Photo Critique forum to the new gallery. It has ratings, good message board capabilities, it links to the user profiles, and I think the thumbnails will increase views and responses. But I don't want to just pull the rug out from under the people who use this forum all the time. It's your forum. So what does everyone think about moving the Photo Critique forum to the new gallery system? Pros, cons? Should we have both? I really want to know what you think.

"Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Move it, Move It Now, Go On, Make my Day.

It's hurricane season... again...
    Great idea.... BTW, did you remove the quick rate feature permanently?
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Quick Rate

Yes, I removed the Quick Rate feature. It seemed to be confusing people, including me. Plus, I'd like people to post reasons/critiques for their ratings. I can put it back up, if people want. Let me know what you think.
    Photo-John

It's hurricane season... again...
    Yes, I removed the Quick Rate feature. It seemed to be confusing people, including me. Plus, I'd like people to post reasons/critiques for their ratings. I can put it back up, if people want. Let me know what you think.
    It's fine with me... I just noticed that some of my ratings had disappeared. I agree that ratings should also include explanations. Thanks!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

PJ, quick ratings are bad. People need to be held accountable for what they say, being anonymous will ony make it easier to knock people down for stupid reasons like getting back at them. If your name is out there to see, you'll be more likely to be fair since everyone will know who posted that rating.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Cool Yes...move it........No quick rate.....my vote

I think moving Critique is a great idea. I have one question.....is it going to be merged with the new gallery? In other words, for instance if it were set up now, would the gallery format the way it is be the place to critique?

Would the gallery as it is now change in any way?

Quick Rate feature. I think leaving it off is the way to go for 2 reasons. Yes, it is confusing IMO; then it takes too much time to get back to make a comment. The other reason is that IMO it is good that people take the responsibility of their rating. This prevents any trolls from rating for other reasons.

Liz

New Category

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    would the gallery format the way it is be the place to critique?
    Good question, Liz. The gallery would stay exactly as it is. I'd just add a new category called, Photo Critique.
    Photo-John

It could work...

...as long as everyone is acceptable to having their photos critiqued as well as praised. What makes the Critique Forum work is that acceptence.

A couple thoughts on the New Gallery.

You ought to comeup with a better name for it before "New Gallery" becames too entrenched. A couple years from now it won't sound right.

While there are already a LOT of categories for photos there, I wish there was an "Abstract" category as well.

Liz

Question That's good......clarification

just to clarify. If PC is separate (sort of) then people could post images in the gallery that they don't necessary want critiqued, and in the Critique section if they want a critique? And would there still be a "comment" and rating option in the gallery? Or am I not seeing it correctly?

Thanks for your patience. Especially thank you for working so hard so we can enjoy PR even more. It doesn't go unnoticed!

Liz

Good question, Liz. The gallery would stay exactly as it is. I'd just add a new category called, Photo Critique.

Personally myself, it either remains the way it is at present, in a thread view like this, or moves to the new look totally with this particular forum gone. You can't have both. The Viewfinder forum is a sort of psuedo Critique forum in a way.

I am for it...

Having a photo critique forum is great...a perfect ideal and much easier to make comments on the photograph when you can see the thumbnail photo.

Plus, having accountability of who is posting what is very important.

This board get's better and better.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Yeah!

I like! I like!
    Brian
    ;-)
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information