Problems with messages in forums

Hi John,

Trying again to post this.

I have been having instances of when going into forums and haveing several threads (more than one thread) showing up as open envelop and bolded, after viewing one of the threads and then going to look at the next, all threads seem to be marked as having been read.

I generally view a message, comment where necessary, and after it is posted, then click on the forum name up the top, so in this instances of posting at present after posting it would be shown in the thread and I would select Site Feedback up the top where they are listed like a tree.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1 width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD> </TD><TD>Photography & Digital Camera Forums <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: navbar_link -->> General Photography <!-- END TEMPLATE: navbar_link --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: navbar_link -->> Site Feedback <!-- END TEMPLATE: navbar_link --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=navbar style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; PADDING-TOP: 1px" colSpan=2> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: navbar_link -->Post New Thread </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

example.

So if there were threads that I hadn't read, there have been instances where they are marked as if I had read them but hadn't.

So in a series of threads up to several might all be marked as read and I only looked at one.

Seems to be a bug in the system.

I have been having similar problems in the computer forum as well. I post a message and then back back to the home page, by using the forums links and it says that there is a message to read in the forum I just posted and it is my post it is telling me to read.

It doesn't seem to be marking off the forums as you read them properly.

If I for instance read a thread in Site Feedback and then clicked on Photography & Digital Camera Forums, it takes me back to the home thread page but shows that say for instance Site Feedback has unread messages. So go back into the Site Feedback and all messages are read, which would be correct as I had just come from there. I have found I need to back track through the forum headings to have it display correctly.

Does this make sense John.

Yes

There is absolutely a problem with forums being marked correctly as read or not read. And, unfortunately, we haven't been able to put much effort into sorting it out. I've just given up it and try to remember. Of course, that's lame response froma site manager. So I'll get back on it and see if we can figure something out. But you're right - it is a bug. We know about it, but we haven't yet allocated the resources to fixing it.

Thanks for the reminder!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

That's OK John, I fully understand, but I think it is a bug in vBulletin itself that might be causing the problem. I realise you have extensively modified the code to suit the site, but the coding for making threads etc shouldn't really have been an are you touched, wouldn't need to, except for colours, fonts etc, the other coding should remain untouched.

I can live with it.

The thing that I found frustrating was the dissapearance of this thread after I had posted it. I check all my threads after I post them and it was there like the display, I don't click on preview thread at all, just post.

Upgrading the Software

Peter-
    There's a completely new version of the software and it's time for us to upgrade. I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the software, too. And we actually haven't modified it too much. The more you hack it, the harder it is to manage. In any case, now that the gallery is pretty much done, maybe we can upgrade the vBulletin software again, and maybe that will fix the problem.

Sorry about the missing post. I have no idea what happened.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Another headache for you to handle, new software upgrade and probably more problems, hopefully not, but we all know the realistics of software upgrades. Good luck.

Thread Information