Photo Project Forum

A monthly, community-driven photography assignment. This forum is moderated by Didache and Frog.

Photo Project Gallery >>

Featured Photo
Photo by Tyson L. Sparks

by Tyson L. Sparks
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Some Ideas For Improving The Photo Project

Quote Originally Posted by hminx
    A bit of a vexed question here, while I think I can see where Cara and Grandpaw are coming from, and I agree participation could be an issue, but to me the point of the monthly project, is to get out and create something fresh and not troll through your HD for something that sort of fits the criteria.
    If the subject for the month doesn't spin my wheels I would just wait until the following month, but still vote if that was the way the thing was set up.
    I have to agree, that's the exact reason to have monthly subjects. I understand that sometimes you can't get out to shoot, I haven't been in a month, but the monthly subject should be the reason to go and shot.

The concept of one picture posted a month is nice but sometimes that's not enough. Plus with trying to get more people involved they may not like that. Placing a max for pictures posted might be better, like say 5 pictures a month.

As far as using older pictures, it's a toss up. The time frame should be recent, within the last 6 months should be max. Since you don't know the upcoming topic and say you were out shooting and 3 months later that is the same topic, why can't you be able to use it.

Moving the Photo Project up can help a lot. Some people don't even venture out of the General Photography area. I know it will be more work but maybe post a sticky in some of the more visited areas, at least for the first few months to see if you get more people to participate.

James

move the project forum up
    have a poll to decide the winner
    as part of the definition of the project define i only new photos will be accepted or we can rely to older ones

some ideas:
    - people walking
    - negative space
    - night shot no flash
    - long exposure

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Just some thoughts....

Make the submissions unlimited. Encourage people to shoot, learn, reshoot, improve. People should feel free to post images from day 1.

Encourage image submissions to be from the current month. I for one do not like seeing recurring images from people's archives. Not much of a "project" if all people are doing are going through their files. I've done it before too.

Here's where I depart from everyone - get rid of the featured photo for this forum and DON'T do a poll. Polls tend to become popularity contests and having any flavor of a "contest" will keep new members (especially those new to photography in general) intimidated to participate. I imagine if I just learned how take and upload pictures, I wouldn't want to share where there was a monthly poll/featured photo with a lot of long-time members giving each other at-a-boys.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Ever notice that it is very rare to see a post by a new member in the Project Forum? I don't think I've ever seen a "hi, guys, here's my submission... it's my first post on this site..." kind of post over here.

There is some implied formality that should be addressed in order to invite more people to participate.

Or maybe people just aren't shooting like they used to.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Just some thoughts....

Here's where I depart from everyone - get rid of the featured photo for this forum and DON'T do a poll. Polls tend to become popularity contests and having any flavor of a "contest" will keep new members (especially those new to photography in general) intimidated to participate. I imagine if I just learned how take and upload pictures, I wouldn't want to share where there was a monthly poll/featured photo with a lot of long-time members giving each other at-a-boys.
    This is what I was trying to say in my post.

From my post, "At the end of the month let everyone decide for themselves which picture they liked the best".

To me this is set up as a project to get members to try new things. If we need to have a photo contest then we can have that also, but separate, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am new to the forum and I like the idea of these projects. Is anything going to come of this?

Also, the idea behind a "project" is to "go and do the project". If my daughter was assigned a project in school, she would not be allowed to grab last year's project and bring it to class. She would have to do a new project.

A project that pulls from your old photo's isn't a project. You are just filling an album at that point.

I like the idea of a project that forces you to get creative and think outside your natural element.

So, hopefully this does take off. I do agree to have a little advance notice as to the next project.

February is only a week away.

Liz

So, hopefully this does take off. I do agree to have a little advance notice as to the next project.

February is only a week away.
    Yikes! I didn't even think about that. Still trying to get through January....

Liz

We need a photo CONTEST! Connect the contest (or poll) to Facebook somehow so it can gather votes and bring more exposure to this wonderful site.

The winner can get a PR t-shirt or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information