ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Photo Project Ideas?

Hi,

I'm a second year photography student and I am stumped on what to do for a photography project. I live in Brighton, UK which is a seaside town with a thriving gay scene and the place has an arty, bohemian edge to it.

I want to do a landscape project, and my original idea was to reverse the seaside town stereotype. However my tutor said that this had been done to death and that I would be better served working on more contemporary stereotypes such as the gay scene or the club scene.

I only want to do landscape and am totally stuck for idea, can anyone think of anything cool that I could do?

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Re: Photo Project Ideas?

have a collection of shots all from the sea looking back on shore. get rides of boats off the coast and shoot everything from that perspective.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Yea I like that Idea, although I'm not sure how I'd get access to a boat on my budget. Could def do from Piers, jettys, Marina etc though. THanks!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Hmm, is your tutor also marking your project ?
    Do you think your tutor's experience of what is likely to get better marks is useful ?

To see if it really has been "done to death" then I'd suggest (if you can) looking at previous students' projects to see what has been done before.

Are there any guidelines at all in the project assignment, or do you have free rein?
    Any particular style, photojournalistic, or an essay for example?

The problem for those two ideas is that if you're not part of those scenes (so don't have the contacts), or don't feel comfortable in those scenes - then you have to overcome those hurdles.
    The advantage of those two ideas is that maybe it forces you out of your comfort zone and you have to try something new.

Oh, which course are you on, the BA or MA ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Hi Smartwombat,

I'm doing the BA course and I beleive my tutor will be marking it

Here is the brief:

You are asked to challenge traditional notions of landscape photography. You may either explore a rural theme or an urban one.

If you explore the urban theme, you may work on location in a city or urban landscape of your choice, exploring a sense of place/space in a series of images. You may persure your project in Brighton and Hove (although if you do this please focus on the urban or unusual rather than the cliched seaside resort aspects of the city).

If you choose to photograph in a rural area, avoid simplistic notions of the rural idyll.

I am actually starting to veer more towards the rural aspect now, but again I am trying to think what may be something different?!

I really like the architecture of Brighton. Look up, get up high and play with the false miniature techniques.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

OK so it's a hard one.
    I saw something really different at a DTM race that might be an idea.
    Though you need a large budget to fly a 5D like this ... just in case it leaks.

But it would get you a very different perspective.
    Provided you get permission for flying it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo Project Ideas?-vv9w8976.jpg   Photo Project Ideas?-vv9w8977.jpg   Photo Project Ideas?-vv9w8978.jpg   Photo Project Ideas?-vv9w8979.jpg   Photo Project Ideas?-vv9w8980.jpg  

PAul

That looks amazing, but def out of my budget, lol!

If your tutor is marking then I reckon you're getting a big hint in their advice.
    Assuming they don't give the same advice to all the students.

You have a different, wider, definition of landscape than I use.
    I couldn't see the club scene or the gay scene fitting into that off-hand.
    Unless it's outside the clubs, looking at how they fit into the urban environment.

I like the idea of a series.
    It gives scope to explore a theme in the images.
    How was the Brighton area affected by the recent animal disease outbreaks, for example?
    Is there a way to relate that to the landscape?

Can you follow a particular group of people through the landscape, either rural or urban?
    Not individuals necessarily, that doesn't give you so much variety in a series.

Can you take an urban landscape, and relate it to the people in it, in time or by weather, or some theme that makes the series?
    PAul

maybe you could (if fyou know, or meet or put posters up ro what ever) follow one of the gay people around and get different perspectives of their life, outside of the club scene.

i agree if they are giving you the grades it is best to follow teachers advise. but so is being unique and individualistic, if you can come up with a better idea run with it.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

The equipment is fairly cheap, under £300 I reckon
    Particularly if you can get another university department to assist your project.
    But I wouldn't fly a 5D.
    Maybe a 400D, or even a P&S - it doesn't have to be a SLR
    PAul

Liz

Just a few thoughts. Let me begin by saying my ideas here are subjective - what I personally would do. I would probably want to get out of the area to shoot, somewhere the other students aren't going - something that would interest everyone. I would concentrate on an urban area since I'd have more opportunities to be creative. Just a few ideas from my own personal experience, things that were fun - and for me, full of life.

Urban Areas
    Title: "What a Difference a Mile Makes"

In a larger city you probably can find very contrasting landscapes. Where I lived in Paterson NJ, there were beautiful mansions and landscapes about 4 blocks up the street. Then about 8-10 blocks the other direction the area included empty discarded houses, graffiti, etc. Actually, we lived somewhere in between the two.

You could do some landscapes of each - then zoom in on an interesting subject in each area that you find along the way (people/activity/graffiti/abandoned houses) which would make it more interesting.

Farmlands
    Go out to the farms or other greener areas where living is slower, quieter or the culture is different. Take different shots of the landscapes, farms, whatever. Then take some shots of the locals - something different that you don't find in your area. Add some "life" to it by interviewing a few people and either add some captions - or quote the person(s) when you give the presentation.

Miscellaneous
    You could take a long ride - go somewhere you've never been, find something that captures your interest or entertains you, makes you laugh. Make it a fun day - use your imagination and have a good time. Don't approach the day like it's a school project - under pressure - but just go out with the attitude that you're going to have some fun. When I've gone to NYC looking to do a project, I usually come home with nothing but a headache. If I pack my bag and just go out to have fun - I usually find something worthwhile shooting.

These may not have anything to do with what you're looking for, but I had a lot of fun.

Liz

Landscape - Larchmont NY

Close up - same area

Landscape/skyline view of NYC

Life on the streets of NYC

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

interesting ideas here. What I suggest is that you grab a pad of paper, and just start writing down ideas and sketching things out. At first it won't seem like you're achieving much, but you will hit a point where the ideas just keep flowing. Hopefully you'll end up with a couple concepts you like. That's what I did with my two projects in class right now, and it worked like a charm both times. You'll end up with a lot of garbage ideas, but it's important to jot them down as well because a lot of the times the crappy ideas are the ones that lead way to the great ones. Good luck.

Thread Information