Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Requesting Advice For a Newbie

I shoot film - mostly slides. I am readiy to take the digital plunge - all the way up to my ankles. I will be purchasing a film scanner - probably the Dimage Scan Elite 5400, but that is still up in the air. My question is

besides the scanner and some editing software - let's say, Photoshop Elements - what else will I need?
    Too many photo ops; too little time..

Re: Requesting Advice For a Newbie

If you really want to get technical a stylus and tablet are the way to go for photoshop. I still haven't gotten there myself but I hear that one you use those you will never use a mouse again. Anyway, sounds like your set to me.

Where in PA are you?

Re: Requesting Advice For a Newbie

Haven't used a tablet yet myself but they look interesting. There are some really good Photoshop books out there - Scott Kelby's are probably the most straightforward for a photographer to understand. Look for "Adobe Photoshop (Elements, CS or whatever) for Digital Photographers".

Digital images can take a lot of memory. Don't leave them on the hard drive on your computer - if it goes (as mine did two weeks ago) then they're just plain gone. You may already have a CD burner - that's a good way to do it but slow to find an image. Another option is an external USB2 hard drive, very fast and getting less expensive all the time. I turn mine on only when using it so that if there is a problem with the computer (virus?) then it won't be affected - hopefully. Best is both for two sets of backup.

Also - pressurized air to blow the dust off before scanning. Some stuff you can't see will still show up, but this makes life easier. I use a blower bulb but some people use the cans of air made for cleaning out computers.

Thread Information