Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Student Photojournalist

RAW Viewing Problems

Hi,

I am having trouble viewing RAW files on my Apple laptop. It is the 12" Aluminum model, and my camera is a Canon 10D. When I try to upload my files onto my computer I am able to see a a thumbnail of the image in both Adobe Camera Raw and Canon File Viewer Utility, but when I go to open it up I get a black image in ACR and an error msg in CFV. This occurs both when I use a card reader and when I hook the camera directly to the computer. Strangely, I can use the card reader and camera perfectly fine when hooked up to my PC. Also, if I upload to PC then burn to cd and transfer to Apple that way, I am able to see and edit the RAW files. Any ideas? Thank you so much. Happy Holidays.

Ghost

Re: RAW Viewing Problems

First of all I want to say that this message won't be very helpful

But I did want to point out that based on the symptoms and information you provide (I'm impressed by the way with how much good info you've gathered) it seems likely that the problem is occuring when transferring the images from the card to the apple computer. I wish I knew things about apple computers but I don't.

Do you use special software to actually upload the images? Because it sounds like one possible problem is that the software isn't uploading the CRW files. It sounds like you're getting the THM files (they contain the thumbnails).

Go to the location where the files are being downloaded to and tell me if you see both CRW and THM files. If you do have the CRW files are they roughly 3.5 to 3.8 megabytes in size? If you take the CRW files that won't open on the apple computer and transfer them over to the PC will they open? If not, the the problem is definetely occuring during upload from the CF card and is caused either by the operating system and drivers and/or the specific software you're using to upload them.

Sorry I can't be more helpful and I hope that made sense to you

Thread Information