Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: Printers & ink

Printers & ink

My HP seems to take a lot of time and whining & chiming on start and some time after print is complete.
    Just received email notifying me of Class Action against HP.
    I have not been very happy with the printing of the present HP printer.
    Back in August I called and was sent a new "set" of ink cartridges AND the "carrier box". After replacing the new items the printer still goes through it "gyrations" before and after printing .
    There appears to be three suits.
    I have not elected to participate.
    The attorneys fees are listed as $2,900.000.00.
    The three settlements listed are E credits in the amount of $5 $2 $6.
    Go figure.

I would like to hear from any and all the care to comment.
    Thank you.

Here's brief quotes from the email.

This lawsuit is a combination of three separate class action lawsuits filed against HP. The first lawsuit (Ciolino) claims that HP sold certain inkjet printers that provide "low on ink" messages with accompanying graphics that suggest to consumers that replacement of a cartridge is needed when the cartridge is not empty and is capable of additional printing, that the messages and graphics misled and confused customers into prematurely replacing their inkjet cartridges, and that HP's "SureSupply" program and related marketing materials were deceptive and misleading. This lawsuit claims that consumers were thus deprived of the ability to use all of the ink in their HP inkjet cartridges and that consumers did not get the full value of what they paid for and were promised.

The second lawsuit (Rich) claims that HP failed to disclose to consumers that certain HP color inkjet printers may use color ink in addition to black ink when printing black text and images and without providing consumers with the option of printing black text and images using ink from the black inkjet cartridge only. This lawsuit further claims that HP published and made representations regarding the page yield specifications for its inkjet printers and cartridges but misrepresented and/or failed to disclose the actual page yield customers would receive for the products at issue, including the true basis for the page yield and cost per page information provided to consumers. This lawsuit further claims that HP failed to disclose its use of color ink when printing black in connection with stating its page yields for color inkjet printers and cartridges, thereby increasing the actual costs of printing black text and images.

The third lawsuit (Blennis) claims that HP designed certain of its inkjet printers and cartridges to shut down on an undisclosed expiration date, at which point consumers are prevented from using the ink that remains in the expired cartridge and from using all of the printer's functions including scanning or faxing documents until the expired cartridge is replaced. The lawsuit also claimed that HP failed to disclose and/or actively concealed information regarding its use of expiration dates in certain of its inkjet printers and cartridges, and that HP interfered with the right of plaintiffs and the class members to possess and use all of the ink in the HP inkjet cartridges that they purchased.
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Printers & ink

If you don't use an ink jet printer often, then it needs to unclog the dried out ink before printing. Particularly if it's in a warm location so it dries out quicker.
    All manufacturers have this problem, and they have various ways to seal the print head and try to stop ink evaporating after printing. They also have arrangements for the print head to park off the paper and spit out ink to clean the nozzles before printing.

First: experience tells me not to believe ink low warnings, just print.
    But if you're about to print on expensive photographic paper and you might waste a sheet because it runs out in the middle, which do you care about most? Paper cost or ink cost? The printer manufacturer has a balancing act here, and whatever they do someone will complain. Seems in the USA they will sue - and only the lawyers win then.

Second: There is no substitute for reading the manual. And no substitute for buying a printer capable of the use you actually want to put it to.
    Most of the page yield specifications are based on scenarios that make the printer look good - there's nothing as convincing as a demo. But the old warning "your mileage may vary" definitely applies.

Third: If the quality of printout degrades as the ink ages, then again they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Particularly if evaporation of the fluid means the ink won't flow through the print head properly.
    It's possible to clog up the printer completely. Though HP usually have the print head as part of the cartridge, so you don't have to throw away the whole printer if you don't use it for 6 months and it dries out.

Seems to me this whole thing is a triumph of lawyers over common sense.

On a personal note, every HP printer I've owned has been great.
    After 2 years my current Photosmart 8000 inkjet needs its first maintenance, the paper rollers need cleaning. And its second set of print cartridges.

Used to be the cartridges with new printers were different, they contained less than the standard amount of ink. Enough to take your new toy home and use it, but so little that you need to buy new (full price) cartridges soon. That's how the price of replacement ink cartridges could be almost as much as the cost of a (cheap and nasty) printer.
    Buying a printer came down to price in the showroom, and so one way to reduce the price is to use less expensive ink.
    Which is why Kodak's marketing strategy of selling cheaper ink cartridges is interesting. It requires the customer to think about the future, and I'm not convinced in the mass market that works.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Printers & ink

PAul,
    You are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Thank you for you in depth reply.

PS your photograph are not bad either.
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Thread Information