Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: Photoshop 5.0LE

Question Photoshop 5.0LE

Are there any book or good web pages for learning to use Photoshop 5.0LE? My brother gave me a copy, that came with a scanner he bought, he didn't need it. I have never used any photo editing software before. I have 35mm print film scanned at 3000x2000 by my pro-shop. Would it be better to purchase elements and just forget about 5.0LE?

Mark

mjm
    that guy.
    5 is pretty old, they are up to 8 now. you won't have much luck finding specific "how to" guides for that version. however, a lot of stuff is backwards compadible[sp?], so maybe you can find some 6.0 guides and work from those?

I used to have 5.0LE, it came with a scanner I bought as well. It's not bad but pretty out dated. At the time I was new with it so it didn't matter much. "LE" is limited edition, meaning it doesn't have some of the things that the full version of Photoshop 5 had. You could probably find a Photoshop 5 book on ebay for next to nothing, and just realize that it will cover things that are not possible with LE.

Another option is Photoshop Elements (I think it's version 2.0). For under $100 you've got a huge improvement. I have Photoshop 7.0 and a book called "Photoshop for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. That book should apply pretty closely to Elements and I highly recommend it. In fact of all of the photo books I have, it's the best one I ever bought (OK, except for the autographed Galen Rowell books...).

mjm
    that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I have Photoshop 7.0 and a book called "Photoshop for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. That book should apply pretty closely to Elements and I highly recommend it. In fact of all of the photo books I have, it's the best one I ever bought (OK, except for the autographed Galen Rowell books...).
    I have the newest version of the book (Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers), its a little too basic for advanced photoshop users but has 3-4 good techniques I have never used in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markk9
    Are there any book or good web pages for learning to use Photoshop 5.0LE? My brother gave me a copy, that came with a scanner he bought, he didn't need it. I have never used any photo editing software before. I have 35mm print film scanned at 3000x2000 by my pro-shop. Would it be better to purchase elements and just forget about 5.0LE?

Mark
    I think you can upgrade to the full Photoshop CS from your Photoshop 5.0LE version, there are people I have seen posting from that have been able to do that. I think the cost is under $200US, which would be a good thing to do. If you want a book, Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a book is probably for you a good investment for a general teaching book. Work through it and you will have a pretty good general understanding of Photoshop. After that, the skys the limit in regards to resources out there. Do a google search on Photoshop and see what hits you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Do a google search on Photoshop and see what hits you get.
    That'll get you some answers!! Most photo magazines seem to run a "tip of the month". This usually gives you some time to really see what they're doing and figure out what to do with it in a real world situation. That way they don't throw too much at you at once. A website with some good tutorials is www.luminous-landscape.com as well.

Thread Information