Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar

Actions and Batch Processing in Photoshop

I'm starting to get more into the photography, which means that I'm having to deal with a larger volume of photos. With this hightened quantity, I need to develop some actions and batch processes in Photoshop to do the "standard" processing that I do to all the pictures I take from an event before I post them to my web page for viewing/ordering.

I've created these actions in the past, but I've never used any sort of batch processing. What I want to do is pick a folder, and have a specific action run against the entire folder, that is possible within PS right?

My action basically does a little sharpening, resizing, typically a warming filter, and saves the resized copy to another folder so I can easily upload them to a website.

Anyone have any tips/websites that can help me accomplish these goals.

Thanks in advance,
    Joel

[QUOTE=
    I've created these actions in the past, but I've never used any sort of batch processing. What I want to do is pick a folder, and have a specific action run against the entire folder, that is possible within PS right?

My action basically does a little sharpening, resizing, typically a warming filter, and saves the resized copy to another folder so I can easily upload them to a website.

Anyone have any tips/websites that can help me accomplish these goals.

Thanks in advance,
    Joel[/QUOTE]

Hi Joel,

I think these are the best features of photoshop! It's failry straigh forward: file > automate > batch. The only tricky part is saving jpeg without gettting the "jpeg options menu." which expects manual input (and I haven't found a workaround within the batch window).

I'm not sitting in front of my computer to recolect exactly how I get around this. However, what I think I do(!) is COPY all the files to a new folder, run the batch mode and just re-save them to the SAME location. This overwrites the file, and because of this, avoids the "jpeg options menu." Avoiding this menu was the only snag I ran into doing batch processing.

Another great tool, IMO, is Breezebrowser (http://www.breezebrowser.com/). It's an excelent and simple tool to use when you don't need to do much editing. I think they have a free demo too. It allows resizing, sharpening, levels, color space change, noise reduction, saving to a new directory (by default, nonetheless) and maybe more, in one easy to use window called "proofs."

Mike

I suggest not saving in Jpeg format, it is a very lossy format. Use .psd or .tiff, they take more space but you will not lose image quality.

Thread Information