Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need freeware to transfer images from camera to computer

The software I need only needs to do a few simple things:
    1. Transfer ALL of the photos from my digital camera to the computer at once, while saving each pic as a separate file, in the folder I choose.
    2. Save the pics exactly as they come off the camera (no image quality loss). I take the pictures in .tif format, which is what I want them to save as.
    3. Save the date I took the pictures it gets from the camera, rather than just the date I transfered them to the computer. Including other EXIF camera data would be good, but is not required.

I have the Imaging software that came with Windows 2000, but it won't transfer the pics all at once (unless I want to save them all into one BIG file, which I don't) and doesn't include the date. I downloaded Picassa from Google, and that downloads them all at once as separate files, but only as JPEGs, and I can't even choose the quality. It's *supposed* to transfer the date and other EXIF data, but for some reason it won't.

My camera does display the date and other information, so I don't know why it isn't transferring. Does the pics being .tif files make a difference?

My digital camera is a Canon D-10, if that helps.

Any freeware suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Infinabyte; 01-08-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Re: Need freeware to transfer images from camera to computer

Consider purchasing a media card reader. It will transfer the files from your media card to your computer and you can place them in the folder of your choice.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Consider purchasing a media card reader. It will transfer the files from your media card to your computer and you can place them in the folder of your choice.
    Agreed. Besides making it much easier to move images around it saves you the hassle of having to keep your camera floating around collecting dust on your desk. I got a floppy drive/media card reader that works great.
    Current gear:
    Canon 30D
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF Lens

I think that you can get some software at the wal-mart or walgreens photolab that will do it.
    It's their editing software, but it might work. You might even download it at there site.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I downloaded the Walgreens photo software and tried it out. It made me think it was only 4 MB, but when I installed it it downloaded 24/25 MB more. While it does get all the photos off the camera all at once, it too only allows me to save them as JPEGs, the quality of which I can't choose, and for some reason isn't including the EXIF date/other data, even though it has a place for you to view that info.

A card reader might work, but I'm hoping I can find some free software that does the trick. I'll ask about card readers the next time I'm at the computer store and see what they say. If they let me return it if it doesn't do what I want, I might try it, otherwise not. They're pretty cheap, right?

Has anyone else had trouble getting the date from the camera? Any idea what's causing that? Is it just the software I've downloaded, or something else?

I've been looking over your requirements, and personally, I think you're asking for a lot - a lot more than most software packages, commercial or free, offer. A card reader would be your best bet because it is the best fit for requirement #2 as it will allow you to copy the files from the media card without having to rename them or save them in a different format.

I'm not aware of anything, software or hardware, that will place images from the same media cards into different folders, so you might have to do this by the drag and drop method. That's probably the best you can hope for when looking to fill requirement #1.

The card reader will also preserve the EXIF data on the image files as it doesn't alter the images in any way.

I'm confused about what you mean for requirement #3. Are you referring to the date that appears when you view the file properties? That's the date the file was created by the computer. To view the date the image was take, you need to view the EXIF properties.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Picassa does #1 just fine. It has me pick where I want to save them, I say "here", and all the pics end up in that folder. Walgreens limits where I can put the pics. I suppose I can deal with not being able to pick the folder of my choice and doing the "drag and drop" thing, as long as all the photos are transfered at once.

I don't care if the photos are renamed. They just have to be in the same format with no data/quality loss.

To view the date the image was take, you need to view the EXIF properties.
    I know how to view the EXIF properties, the problem is I can't get that information to transfer from the camera. In Picassa all my pics say "No EXIF data available.", not even the ones that Picassa got from the camera. Any idea why that might be happening? Is it the camera's fault, or the software's fault, or am I doing something wrong?

A question- how would a card reader be able to do what I want, but doing it through the camera wouldn't? It goes through the same port. Would it be a hardware thing, or do card readers come with some sort of special software? Would it show up as an object in My Computer? If so, why doesn't the camera do that?

Double posted.

A card reader is different than hooking the camera up to a computer via USB or Firewire despite sharing the same type of connection. The computer treats the card reader as if it were a disk drive. When you want to transfer images from your camera, you remove your media card from the camera and insert it into the card reader. The computer will treat it as if it were a disk, and you can browse it from my computer.

If you want to keep the photos in the same format with no quality or data loss, then the card reader is definitely your best bet. It will copy the images from the camera's media card to your hard drive, but it won't make any changes to them.

I'm not familiar with Picassa or Walgreen's software, so I can't comment as to why its stripping the EXIF data from your images. Some programs do that, but I couldn't tell you why or how to turn it off.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Canon's Zoombrowser software will do it. If your camera didn't come with a software CD, call Canon and see if they'll send you a replacement.

I e-mailed the Canon people about ZoomBrowser, am waiting for a reply. If that doesn't work I may call them. Oh, and it's actually an EOS 10D, not a D10 like I said earlier.

Today I discovered that my camera was taking pictures in JPG! It didn't tell me in the camera, I had to look it up on the web to find out. I thought something was odd when I realized that with my memory card I'd only be able to hold 7 pics if the files were 18 MB each, and it holds considerably more than that!

Apparently the auto-settings, which is what I use, don't allow you to use RAW mode. That's part of why all my pics were JPGs. So I tried taking a picture in RAW to see what my programs would do. It turns out the EOS TWAIN driver can't handle them- they won't transfer! I can't even view them with it. Ugh, that is so stupid. I swear, I am NOT getting another Canon. They make a driver specially for their cameras and it doesn't even work. Any recommendations for a camera driver?

The Picassa program and the Walgreens program save the pics as different file sizes, so I don't know if they change them or not from what's on the camera, or if there's any quality loss in one or both programs. I guess I'll have to research that and find out. But even if that problem is taken care of (sort of), I still have my EXIF data to worry about. I'm wondering if the DRIVER and not those two software programs is what's preventing the EXIF data from transferring. I guess I have something else to e-mail Canon about.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinabyte
    I e-mailed the Canon people about ZoomBrowser, am waiting for a reply. If that doesn't work I may call them. Oh, and it's actually an EOS 10D, not a D10 like I said earlier.
    Seriously...save yourself the hassle and pick up a media card reader. You can usually get one at your local Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Fry's for under $25.00. That's all you need, and you don't have to rely on your camera to transfer images.

Today I discovered that my camera was taking pictures in JPG! It didn't tell me in the camera, I had to look it up on the web to find out. I thought something was odd when I realized that with my memory card I'd only be able to hold 7 pics if the files were 18 MB each, and it holds considerably more than that!

Apparently the auto-settings, which is what I use, don't allow you to use RAW mode. That's part of why all my pics were JPGs. So I tried taking a picture in RAW to see what my programs would do. It turns out the EOS TWAIN driver can't handle them- they won't transfer! I can't even view them with it. Ugh, that is so stupid. I swear, I am NOT getting another Canon. They make a driver specially for their cameras and it doesn't even work. Any recommendations for a camera driver?
    If you want to shoot in RAW, select the P option on the camera dial. It's the one above the green rectangle. Most software can't view RAW files as they are usually in a proprietary format (like .CRW or CR2). You need dedicated software to view those RAW files, such as Canon's Digital Photo software that came with the camera or the soon to be unavailable RAWshooter Essentials.

Camera drivers are made by the manufacturer, so you really don't have a choice in getting a different one.

By the way, don't blame the camera or Canon. They put out quality products, and your problem might not be the TWAIN driver. But without anymore information, I can't tell you what the problem really is.

The Picassa program and the Walgreens program save the pics as different file sizes, so I don't know if they change them or not from what's on the camera, or if there's any quality loss in one or both programs. I guess I'll have to research that and find out. But even if that problem is taken care of (sort of), I still have my EXIF data to worry about. I'm wondering if the DRIVER and not those two software programs is what's preventing the EXIF data from transferring. I guess I have something else to e-mail Canon about.
    That's why I recommend you stay away from those freeware programs. If you want to edit your images, get a copy of The GIMP. It is a free image editing tool from the Free Software Foundation that is designed to compete in the same area as Photoshop (but has many shortcomings). But it isn't for transferring images, and I will repeat my belief that you should get a CF card reader for that task.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Try the Canon support site

These are the 10D updates

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0000490.asp

Includes Zoombrowser, Digital Pro, firmware...

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

You can go to Cannon's website and DL the 10D software and drivers. You can also save a lot of problems using a card reader and either use windows exploere (if you XP) or Photoshop Elements or PS CS with the raw converter.
    It sounds as if you have the wrong version of the Canon files now, so updating them should clear things up. However it's not a good idea to dump from the camera to the computer, but if you do, make sure your battery is fully charged or your using an AC adaptor.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    However it's not a good idea to dump from the camera to the computer
    Why is it a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Stiegler
    Why is it a bad idea?
    I have seen this happen, when dumping from the camera to the computer via a cable someone accidently knocked the power cord out of a guys camera, it somehow trashed the guys card having the power go out while downloading. So I don't suggest doing it. Since that I only use a card reader.
    I have had my laptop die while dumping a card, more than once, but never lost a card or photos because of it. I had three power surges one night dumping a card to the desktop and no problems, but again, it was dumping through the card reader, not a cable.
    JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

That sounds more like a freak accident than a serious issue.

I know people who have broken pins in CF card slots, too, so there's risk either way. I believe either risk is insignificant.

I know people who have broken pins in CF card slots, too, so there's risk either way. I believe either risk is insignificant.
    Freak accident or not, it is something to consider. I had an entire folder of images corrupted because my camera battery died while writing a shot to the card when it wasn't connected to a computer.

Generally speaking, you want to use your camera for taking pictures, not being a media card reader. There is just too much that can happen to an $800+ piece of equipment when it is sitting on your desk next to the computer that doesn't make it worth the risk.

Yes, you CAN use your camera to transfer images to your computer, but you'll find very few people recommending it for a variety of reasons mainly to minimize risk to the equipment.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I downloaded the Walgreens photo software and tried it out. It made me think it was only 4 MB, but when I installed it it downloaded 24/25 MB more. While it does get all the photos off the camera all at once, it too only allows me to save them as JPEGs, the quality of which I can't choose, and for some reason isn't including the EXIF date/other data, even though it has a place for you to view that info.

A card reader might work, but I'm hoping I can find some free software that does the trick. I'll ask about card readers the next time I'm at the computer store and see what they say. If they let me return it if it doesn't do what I want, I might try it, otherwise not. They're pretty cheap, right?

Has anyone else had trouble getting the date from the camera? Any idea what's causing that? Is it just the software I've downloaded, or something else?

My Evolt came with some software even though I haven't used it yet. Try going to the site that manufactored your camera and see if they has something you can use. I know that Olympus offers theirs online.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

This is the e-mail I got just now from Canon:

Dear Canon Customer:

Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and
    appreciate the opportunity to assist you with the EOS 10D.

Full versions of the ZoomBrowser program and other software originally
    packaged with your camera are not available for download. You may,
    however, purchase a replacement copy of the Solutions CD containing this
    software from the Canon Sales and Accessories Department at
    1-800-828-4040. That department is available from 8 AM to Midnight ET,
    seven days a week. Drivers are not available on the replacement CD.

The driver necessary to connect your PowerShot camera to the computer
    can be downloaded from our Web site:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=303

If you have trouble with this link, please use the following steps to
    reach the same page:

1. Point your browser to www.powershot.com.
    2. Click on Download Library.

At that site, choose your camera model from the drop down menus. You
    will be led to a page from which you may download the appropriate driver
    for your camera and operating system.

Before attempting the download, please make sure that you have disabled
    any anti virus programs, pop up blockers, or firewall applications.
    Such software may interfere with the download process or prevent you
    from accessing our servers. Error messages may appear. Once the
    download is complete, you may re-activate these programs.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact
    us again if you have any other questions or concerns with the EOS 10D.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Liz
    Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
    If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email,
    you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with
    unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362,
    Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. -
    8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this
    message and we will respond as quickly as possible.
    As I don't have the CD since I got the camera used, I'd have to pay for it. I haven't called them to order it. I'll have to think about this first to decide if I want it/what questions I need to ask before purchasing. If it was free I'd just get it.

Hmm... so whatever I do, even if I can get the RAW files onto the computer, I'm going to need a RAW converter, whether I get it from Canon or elsewhere. Maybe I'll ask them whether other programs convert RAW, or if there's is proprietary. I just downloaded the instruction book, I'll give that a look and see if it answers any of my questions.

masdog, I'm not sure what info you need, but I'll give it a shot. What would be helpful for you to know?

I'm using Windows 2000, 350MGHz. I did get the camera to take RAW pictures, but can't get them to transfer on the computer. I turn on the camera which is plugged into the computer, it automatically starts the TWAIN driver, and it asks me which program I want to use (Picassa or Imaging). With either of them the TWAIN screen pops up, and a little alert window titled "Canon Digital Camera" comes up saying, "Although RAW or animated images exist in the camera, this software only displays JPEG images".

It's not Picassa or Imaging saying that, it's the TWAIN screen itself.

Hmm... so whatever I do, even if I can get the RAW files onto the computer, I'm going to need a RAW converter, whether I get it from Canon or elsewhere. Maybe I'll ask them whether other programs convert RAW, or if there's is proprietary. I just downloaded the instruction book, I'll give that a look and see if it answers any of my questions.
    Download RAWShooter Essentials while you still can. You can get it at http://www.photo-freeware.net/raw-sh...essentials.php

I turn on the camera which is plugged into the computer, it automatically starts the TWAIN driver, and it asks me which program I want to use (Picassa or Imaging). With either of them the TWAIN screen pops up, and a little alert window titled "Canon Digital Camera" comes up saying, "Although RAW or animated images exist in the camera, this software only displays JPEG images".

It's not Picassa or Imaging saying that, it's the TWAIN screen itself.
    That's it? Its not a problem with the TWAIN Driver, that is a problem with the software you want to use to edit the images. The TWAIN Driver recognizes that the software you're trying to import the images to can't display or edit RAW images, so it won't let you. I posted a link above that tells you where to get a free RAW editor.

The solution to all your problems exists in this posts in the following numbered points. Ignore them at your own peril.

1) Download the RAW program I linked to above and here for good measure.
    2) Buy a CF card reader. This will avoid the problem of having to use your camera, and the TWAIN driver that you don't like, to transfer images to your computer.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

It's no freak accident, anytime power is lost while downloading from the camera you can damage the card.....most manufacturers tell you that. Not sure why it's different doing it from the computer but it is.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I downloaded the RAW Shooter and installed it, but it won't run. Every time I try it gives me an error message. I thought it might be because my computer doesn't meet the speed requirements so I downloaded again, this time on my faster computer, and installed it, but when I tried to run it it gave me an error message, too. So I still need a RAW viewer/converter.

I was scouting around on the photo-freeware.net site to see if there was anything that might work, and the Breeze Downloader looked promising, so I got that. It doesn't work either. I tell it to connect to the camera. If the camera is off it doesn't find anything, but if it's on it does find my EOS 10D. But, despite knowing it's there, when I tell it to use that, it says "Unable to Connect to camera". It's frustrating.

Your best bet is to get a card reader. They are not very expensive and much better than using the camera anyway. You'll then find that all the software works from the card reader with no problems.

I still believe that there is a problem with the TWAIN driver you have. Have you upgraded to the latest from the Canon site?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Rawshooter Essential Edition requires 512 MB of RAM. If it wouldn't install, it means you don't have enough on your system.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information