Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Question Need Elementary Scanning Advice

I don't own a digital camera and don't expect to have one anytime soon. With prices apparently dropping into "reasonable" ranges for "quality" film scanners however (how about Nikon's Coolscan V ED for $500 - $600?), I am reconsidering this option for archiving my slides/print film and for controlling and printing my own snaps and wallhangings. I am looking for some books and/or websites that will give me some of the really basic information about how all of this fits together. For instance:

What "buy points" should I be looking for in a scanner?
    Ditto for "buy points" on a photo quality printer.
    What's the difference between the scanner software and the imaging software such as Photoshop? Do I need both? Why?
    Do I really need Photoshop CS or is Photoshop Elements good enough?
    How to, how to, how to?

You get the point. I know very little here and need to start at the very beginning.

Thanks.

Scanner Help

Ok, I also need help. I also don't plan on buying a digital camera anytime soon. I want to stick with 35mm for now.

I am looking for a good cheaper end film scanner. Im not looking for anything amazing; just something that will give me good scans. I have been looking into the Epsons a little, and what do y'all think about the Epson 1660 Photo (48 bit, 1600 x 3200 dpi)?

Will that give me a good enough image? And how big do you think I could blow it up from the 35mm? Or should I go with the 2400 (48 bit, 2400 x 4800 dpi) or 3170 (48 bit, 3200 x 6400 dpi), or not Epson at all?

Thanks for your help.

-Cory

The big thing - don't get something without Digital ICE! Mine doesn't have it (Acer 2720S) so I speak from experience. I'd consider a new one but ICE doesn't work with black and white which is most of the film that I'm shooting these days. The Coolscan V looks like a great deal for the money. If you want huge prints, then you might want a drum scan (expensive) of those shots. If you stick with the same size prints that you'd normally want to do with 35mm (like 11x14 and maybe 16x20 if it's perfect) then the Coolscan V should be fine.

A good website for tutorials is http://www.luminous-landscape.com - it will keep you busy for a long time.

The basic point of scanning software is to get the best quality scan that you can get, then Photoshop takes over from there. In Photoshop, you can do dodging and burning, sharpening, sizing and cropping, etc. The adjustments made in the scanning software are more "prelimenary" to make sure the contrast is about right, etc. Photoshop Elements does about 95% of what Photoshop 7 does, CS does a little more. For now, Elements will do a lot for you - and may even be bundled with your scanner.

Cory - the flatbeds have come a long way from what I've seen, but if you're sticking with 35mm you'd be best to have a 35mm film scanner. One nice thing about the flatbeds is that some work with medium format and 4x5 film if that's a concern. There are others out there for less money than the Coolscan V, but probably without the Digital ICE. Problem with not having it is "cloning" the dust out. No way around the dust - even if you wipe it with an anti-static brush, blow it and check it under a light first - some will still be there. Digital ICE just saves a lot of time.

More Help!

Ok, so I have been thinking, and I guess it would be worth spending the extra cash to get a really good quality scanner that will last for a long time. The Epson Perfection 4870 Photo has digital ice and scans at 4800 dpi. Does anyone have any feedback on this scanner? I found it for $415.

Also, please suggest other scanners that I could get for around that price that would be good.

Thanks,
    -Cory

There's a lot more to digital imaging than resolution. The 4870 is still a flatbed - but should do very well for a lot of things. If you were using larger film sizes and wanted proofs, then it would be a good choice. Also for scanning prints, which is usually not a good idea unless you're talking about expertly printed B&W darkroom work.

That's getting close to the price of a Coolscan V which would still be my choice. A used Coolscan IV would be good too - you may even find a new one at a bargain somewhere because the V is pretty new. The IV doesn't have the current version of digital ICE, but still has the basics of it.

One last time...

Ok so you are saying if it was the Epson 4870 vs. the Nikon Coolscan IV you would choose the Nikon? Have you read the full review of the Epson here:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/

Thanks,
    -Cory

Thread Information