Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

550EX inconsistency with 10D

Hello all; I am new to this group so please, be gentle...

I am attempting to integrate my 10D into my existing photo jobs, but I am having a terrible time with results with the 550EX together with the 10D. During indoor shooting, with NO changes in lighting conditions, my exposures vary drastically. In otherwords, one frame will have a nice pop, and a good exposure, and the next might be drastically under exposed. And yes, I gave it time to recycle. I don't understand. Have any of you experienced this terrible flash output inconsistency? And if so, how have you solved it? I am pulling what little hair I have left, out.

Cheers

-MH

What have you got the 550EX set to with the switches.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhacker
    Hello all; I am new to this group so please, be gentle...

I am attempting to integrate my 10D into my existing photo jobs, but I am having a terrible time with results with the 550EX together with the 10D. During indoor shooting, with NO changes in lighting conditions, my exposures vary drastically. In otherwords, one frame will have a nice pop, and a good exposure, and the next might be drastically under exposed. And yes, I gave it time to recycle. I don't understand. Have any of you experienced this terrible flash output inconsistency? And if so, how have you solved it? I am pulling what little hair I have left, out.

Cheers

-MH
    This may be as simple as not having your selected focus point on the subject. E-TTL works by metering off the current focus point, keep that point on your subject and you should be OK. If you can't, use FEL to pre-fire the metering flash, recompose, and shoot.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Try this:

go to your custom fuctions, and go to function 14, the Auto Reduction of Flash Fill. Disable that.

That set, the camera will not mess with flash exposure compensation, you can now set it with the 550ex and it should be consistent each time.

If this doesn't make any changes, I am stumped. But for me, when I disable that in the camera, and then set my flash exposure compensator where I want it, I get good results.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Thanks Sean, but I have already done that. I have heard to just trash the 550EX and switch to metz. I like Metz, I use them with my Mamiya's and results are fine.

-MH

Thanks Peter;

All is set to program with the flash on ETTL. I have also tried manual.. ie; camera at a 30th sec, and f11. Flash indicates f stop correctly, but results still wildly off.

-MH

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhacker
    Thanks Sean, but I have already done that. I have heard to just trash the 550EX and switch to metz. I like Metz, I use them with my Mamiya's and results are fine.

-MH
    Try what I suggested before you ditch the 550. Once you get the hang of how it works, and why it does what it does, you will get excellent results. I get excellent results with the setup. Try it, you'll like it... ;)
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information