Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

20D files in Photoshop

I just got a 20D last week, shot 500 or so pics this weekend and will be processing them shortly. I updated my ADobe RAW plugin and can open the files fine in CS (the new RAW plugin is updated to work with the 1DmkII not the 20D but it seems to work fine for the most part), it's much faster than the Canon software plus allows the use of keywords and searches so I prefer it. My problem is I can't see the thumbnails in the browser unless I open and process a picture... all I get after downloading the RAW images are .CR2 files, on my 10D I get a .CRW and a .THM file, the THM being for viewing of the Thumbnail. Is there a way to create the thumbnail without opening/processign a photo? Do I have to shoot in RAW + jpg mode with this camera to get a viewable thumbnail? (I haven't tried that yet but it's the next logical thing to do). Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

-Alan
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Re: 20D files in Photoshop

Alan, not sure, as I only have the 10D, but I think that shooting in RAW + jpg might be a good idea, try it and see. I have seen others mention they open the files ok in PS but can't recall them mentioning their shooting styles, eg, RAW only or with jpg.

Well, I just thought I'd update, in case anyone is interested. basically I had to clear the cache for the browser in order to get the thumbs to start appearing but there is more discussion on this HERE
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Ghost

Great tip Alan, thanks for the update. I'll have to remember that one.

Thread Information