Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Weather Patterns

I took a drive yesterday with my camera. The time was mid day so better timing may have helped some shots. Please share any suggestions. Most shots had levels and curves adjustments as well as a color balance to remove the skylight cast.
    Panasonic FZ20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weather Patterns-001.jpg   Weather Patterns-002.jpg   Weather Patterns-003.jpg   Weather Patterns-004.jpg  

Re: Weather Patterns

From the top

1. the snow drift i like but don't know why, reminds me of waves breaking when sailing along.

2. I like the pattern in the bank and the shadows highlight the prominance of the drifts brilliantly

3. The field I passed one just like it this morning and was going to take a photo tomorrow - Canon is at home but with no snow just mud and green something begining to grow. I do like the patterns.

4. Love this photo's symmetry and the way the snow has thawed in a similar way on all the roof arches with the icicles. My only criticism is that the bricks look to be washed out and should be redder than they are. Are the windows stain glass? if so it could be a photo oppertunity in their own right. Shame about the bigger black roof in the background it may be a great photo with out it.

nice shooting
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Good images , Chunk. The first and second shot being my favs as they are well exposed , framed and really captured the textures and detail in the subtle tones and textures.
    I also like the fourth shot for reasons already stated by Roger, and agree that it could have been better had the peaks been against the sky as opposed to the dark portion of another roof. but it still works. Appears you put time and thought into composing your shots and it shows well.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Eeeek! It looks cold to me!

1st and 2nd shots are my faves here. The snow looks cold and crisp not dull and gray...big points. Patterns and angles work very well for me.

I have to agree on the last shot. The roof and tree are big detractors for me...actually if you kept this angle its the sky and the tree that are distracting. Maybe if you get a chance to try different perspectives, one or the other would work.

Now I will proceed to step out and enjoy my balmy weather here.
    Ruh roh...Where am I?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFru
    I have to agree on the last shot. The roof and tree are big detractors for me...actually if you kept this angle its the sky and the tree that are distracting. Maybe if you get a chance to try different perspectives, one or the other would work.
    Thanks to you all for taking a look and giving me some feedback. I had a lot of trouble getting a shot that I liked of the church. I wanted as many repeats of the gables as possible and show the icycles and snow patterns on the roof but had interference on the edges from trees and this sign.
    If I went more straight on and had just the large roof as a background that seemed to work but I lost the snowpatterns on the gables. I could also get more gables but then lost the verticle feel of the icycles and windows (like in this shot). I think I need the ground showing to give some scale to show how large those icycles are. The brick is fairly light in color (common around here).
    I cloned out some branches in this shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weather Patterns-11.jpg  

Just a suggestion, but if you were to get on a step ladder in front of the sign so you could come in tighter to the church and be over top of the sign you could probably get the shot you're looking for.
    Whether or not that is a feasible thing to do I don't know.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Thread Information