Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    GB1

Any hints on hot weather protection?

Taking a trip to Death Valley next week (first week in August). Average temp there has been ~ 118 degrees, and I'm a bit concerned about keeping my camera cool (not to mention the film).

Any pointers that you can share?

Thanks -

GB

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    film in a cooler

keep your film in a cooler IN THE CANISTERS!!!

Remove the canister from the cooler as needed and let it RISE TO AMBIENT TEMP IN THE CANISTER.

DO NOT leave your camera in your car/ trunk as the temp may be 118 outside, but temps inside may go as high as 130+

I have read were people put the WHOLE CAMERA BAG into a BIG cooler (maybe with a simple ice pack) while leaving it in the car. THAT has a double duty.....

PEOPLE DON'T STEAL COOLERS(as oposed to camera bags) and that will keep your camera from hitting EXTREME temps
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Yep - that's my trick too. Store a few bottles of cold water in there too and drink them if you need to (probably will at 118!) . Nobody notices a big plastic cooler which fits my Domke F2 and a lot of other stuff.

GB1
    Thanks Gents.

I'm just terrified that I'll fry another camera, like I did once in Anza-Borrego park. I may just take a minimalist amt of gear, say 1 35mm and lens and 1 MF and lens with a few polarizers, and try to get them into my big cooler somehow. Gotta worry about condensation and water damage too, of course. Seems nothing's easy.

Wish me luck!

GB

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    2 gallon ziploc bags or HEFTY ONE ZIP

keep your gear in one until it reaches ambient temp and the condensation will collect on the outside(not your gear)

I took my camera to "THE VALLEY OF FIRE" in july...... fine

I took my cameras(SLR'S/DSLR) from the grand canyon to tucson in august(90- 114).... FINE ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information