Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seb

Some sort of self portrait...

Hello,

I was browsing through some of my early D70 pictures and I came back to this "self portrait" that I have posted quite a while ago.

Gary and Tuna clever use of colours/b&w combinations (thanks guys for your remarkable contributions) inspired me to try the following.

please criticise.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Re: Some sort of self portrait...

Seb, this is good. I like this alot, but I like even more the potential i see here. even though I think this is pretty good and creative as it stands, I feel that if you had zoomed in and filled up most(not all) of the frame with the mirror would have been much more impactful. This is a great idea and i hope you get to try it again.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 01-07-2005 at 03:22 AM.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Fascinating photo - the title threw me when I first looked as I couldn't see someone in the seat of the car and then I saw you in the mirror - I like that a lot.

It would be a different photo if you'd zoomed in on the mirror and I think it would be a good photo to.

I could never use my own car for this photo - its normally too dirty! I did once think of a similar theme - perhaps I'll try it when the car gets washed next - long wait!!!
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Seb,

I like the idea of colourising part of the photo, as it makes the object standd out clearly. For this photo I wish (as other said) it would have a larger image of you. Honestly the b/w background is not attractive at all but it fulfills its task nicely.

Alex

Personally, I like the overall ratio composition of mirror to car. What I would suggest is to maybe stand much closer to the mirror and, since you can park the car in many different places, find a backdrop for your SP that might be more interesting.

Nice job.

Tuna

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Neat idea Seb! I agree with Tuna! A nice orangee sunset would look good in this BG, with yourself being a little closer in. Also including Gary's suggestion of the mirror filling up most of the frame.
    The idea is Cool!

Scott

Seb

Hi guys,

I am glad about the shared enthusiasm over that one.

Gary and Alex: I will post a diffrent crop of this picture when I get back home, with the mirror being bigger in the frame. One thing though, my PS skills not being astounishing, the edge betwen the mirror and the rest of the picture may look less interesting with the suggested crop. I have used both the eraser and the magnetic lasso and I couldn't get the lasso to perform a clean cut.

readingr, Scott and Tuna: Good idea here! The only thing is, the magnificient Mini Cooper S that was used for this picture isn't mine. Actually, I don't even own a car... This was shot in the parking lot of a Mini dealer last spring. That being said, I do find the suggestion to be very useful. I could apply it in plenty of others situations.

best regards to all

Seb

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

Excellent portrait, would it improve with a crop and remove the distraction of that piece of engine ?
    Bobby

I like the composition a great deal and the idea of the color occuring only in the chrome. Just my opinion mind you, but the reflection of the red body panels of the car throws me off, have you tried if not completely then partial desaturating the color?..

cheers...

P.
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

is that a mini cooper...? hehe

Good abstract s.p.!

Seb

Hello guys,

Here are two new versions as promised.

I have decided to blur the edge betwen the mirror and the background with the water drop tool in order to hide its perfectible nature. While I don't know if it was the best thing to do or not, I must say that I rather like the result.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Excellent I like the clarity of the reflections in the mirror. The one question I have is - are the cars in the reflections on ramps? I would have prefered them to be removed for the shot.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Seb,
    Great job cropping and ps. Both of these I find appealing but was rather impressed immediately with the full frame mirror image. Yes, it could have been more if there was a better scene going on behind you, but as this stands with the clouds and the white line in the parking lot underlining you and just the interesting wide angle effect the mirror brings to us is good enough. I feel this is a fine self portrait full of creativity and appeal.

gary

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Excellent I like the clarity of the reflections in the mirror. The one question I have is - are the cars in the reflections on ramps? I would have prefered them to be removed for the shot.
    Thanks for commenting again. The cars you are reffering at do are a bunch of BMW's 3 series on ramps. I am not sure that I would like to have a part of the mirror cropped out but I do realise that the backdrop is perfectible.

regards

Seb

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Seb,
    Great job cropping and ps. Both of these I find appealing but was rather impressed immediately with the full frame mirror image. Yes, it could have been more if there was a better scene going on behind you, but as this stands with the clouds and the white line in the parking lot underlining you and just the interesting wide angle effect the mirror brings to us is good enough. I feel this is a fine self portrait full of creativity and appeal.
    Hello Gary,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad to know that these works for you.

Seb

My thoughts are that a self portrait should give some insight to the person that is the photographer.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonTerry
    My thoughts are that a self portrait should give some insight to the person that is the photographer.
    Hello CarbonTerry,

I am sorry but I am not sure that I understand what you mean here. Could you further explain your thoughts?

regards

Seb

Sure....
    Your pix are merely shots of your reflection in shiny car parts. They convey nothing to the viewer about who/what you are. The best portraits let the viewer into the soul of the subject. For example, the portrait of Winston Churchill by Joseuf Karsch (do a Google). This lets you know that you don't want to screw with this guy.
    Rarely is a self portrait sucessful....
    This is my very first attempt circa 1972
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CarbonTerry,
    I would agree with you on those points about self-Portraits, but I think the use of the term here is to be taken lightly. . just a sort of reference to the fact that the photographer is evident inthe shot. I have included my self in a number of my shots merely as a character to create a scene, but would not consider them to be self portraits. But I think there are many different types of self portraits, some of which fall into a more creative category, such as this and those that are more straight forward with the sole intent on giving the viewer the subject in his/her entirety. This "self Portrait" to me is more about the composition and creativity than it is about letting me know who the photographer is.
    Just my take on all this. . .

gary

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonTerry
    Sure....
    Your pix are merely shots of your reflection in shiny car parts. They convey nothing to the viewer about who/what you are. The best portraits let the viewer into the soul of the subject. For example, the portrait of Winston Churchill by Joseuf Karsch (do a Google). This lets you know that you don't want to screw with this guy.
    Rarely is a self portrait sucessful....
    This is my very first attempt circa 1972
    Hello CarbonTerry,

Thanks for clearing things up. I have thought that this might be what you meant but I wasn't sure. Actually, I didn't meant to do a formal self portrait, I simply chose that title (innacurate, I admit) to refer to the fact that I was part of the picture.

I suppose that real self portraits must be very hard to do well. I can't figure out how I would make one work if I was to try it.

best regards

Seb

Hi Seb,

The bigger question is would we want to see your slef portrait?? Teee Heee!

Now for comments on the photo I do like the concept and I personally prefer the less zoomed picture as it clearly defines the mirror of the car. The bottom one of the two the trim in the bottom third of the mirror sorts of cuts off the bottom part.

How do your mirrors stay so clean and scratch free? Perhaps its the english and welsh narrow roads that I drive down.

DSLR
    Digital

Seb

Hello Rogers

The bigger question is would we want to see your slef portrait?? Teee Heee!
    You might be pleasantly surprise you know lol!!

Now for comments on the photo I do like the concept and I personally prefer the less zoomed picture as it clearly defines the mirror of the car. The bottom one of the two the trim in the bottom third of the mirror sorts of cuts off the bottom part.
    This is my personal favorite of the three too.

How do your mirrors stay so clean and scratch free? Perhaps its the english and welsh narrow roads that I drive down.
    I can't speak about english road (never went there although I necessarily will sooner or later) but this was shot using a brand new car at a dealership.

regards

Seb

Ahh! a cheat! (New car)

So when can we expect the real thing?

by the way what does lol stand for?

DSLR
    Digital

It's a wonderful thing that so many folks can have so many different perceptions and all of them be correct. I was trying to push Seb and others past the norm of their photo craft. If you never go past the limits of your "comfort zone" you will never improve.
    Seb....why don't you take the challenge and do a meaningful "self portrait"?

Seb

Ahh! a cheat! (New car)

So when can we expect the real thing?

by the way what does lol stand for?
    lol: laugh out loud...

As for a serious self-portrait, we will see...

Seb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information