Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Some more flowers...

These were taken with a Maxxum 7000, 100 speed Kodak film, and a 50mm Minolta lense.

1. I think this may be an Aster... I didn't remember to record this one so I'm not sure. Does the angle work for this?

2. Phlox, 4/250, #4 Close up filter. They had tons of phlox in their test garden... some of them most intense colors I've ever seen. I wanted with this shot to have the center flower as the only one in complete focus, and then have each row gradually blur out more and more. Does it work?

3. Phlox, 4/250, #1 Filter. I think the flowers blend a bit too much into the flowers in the background.

4. Phlox, again I forgot to record my settings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some more flowers...-aster.jpg   Some more flowers...-phlox2.jpg   Some more flowers...-phlox1.jpg   Some more flowers...-phlox3.jpg  

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    These were taken with a Maxxum 7000, 100 speed Kodak film, and a 50mm Minolta lense.

1. I think this may be an Aster... I didn't remember to record this one so I'm not sure. Does the angle work for this?

2. Phlox, 4/250, #4 Close up filter. They had tons of phlox in their test garden... some of them most intense colors I've ever seen. I wanted with this shot to have the center flower as the only one in complete focus, and then have each row gradually blur out more and more. Does it work?

3. Phlox, 4/250, #1 Filter. I think the flowers blend a bit too much into the flowers in the background.

4. Phlox, again I forgot to record my settings.
    Hello,

1. The flower by itself is pretty but the shot itself doesn't really grab my attention. I don't really know what to suggest here other than trying various angles.

2. I like this one a lot. It's my favorite. I think that the effect you were going for is quite succesful.

3. I don't like the "violent" break betwen the flowers in focus and the ones out of focus further away. A smooth transition would have been much more pleasing I think.

4. Then again nice flowers but the picture suffers from the harsh ligthning. Personally, I simply tend not to shot at all in the middle of the day to avoid that kind of light.

regards

Seb

These are really nice, CaraRose.
    I like the first one because it stands alone with it's petals downward giving a sense and feel of being alone and isolated. a certain sadness. . .
    the second one is my favorite and should be framed. The dof worked great and the close focusing filter enabled you to get very close with a 50mm lens which caused the bg to record as almost black creating a great visual behind those purple white colors. Well done.
    The third is the least favorite as it has no real meaningful composition and as you say the flowers blend into the bg too much. Colors are great though.
    The last one I think would have been ok if shot from a different angle to get rid of the flowers and other distractions going on behind. I thought about less dof but do not think that would have helped as much as getting it from a different angle althoghter.
    Good stuff. . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information