• 05-06-2004, 12:14 AM
    gahspidy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Reshoot. . .Two Stone Posts B&W
    Sorry, I am just obsessed with these stone posts and keep shooting at them at different times of day at different angles and so on. I like this B&W version of this latest shoot that was taken in the morning as sun was up just over the trees. Would like your feedback
  • 05-06-2004, 05:44 AM
    Yoyo Szeto
    Hi Gary,
    I like this shoot. The tonal distribution is wide and the low-angle of view works very well.
    All the best.
    yoyo
  • 05-06-2004, 06:51 AM
    kkraczek
    Gary this is MUCH better... the angle is great, and I love the way the clouds arc at the top. Good work!
  • 05-06-2004, 08:43 AM
    gahspidy
    Thanks Yoyo Szeto and Kristin for your time
  • 05-06-2004, 01:43 PM
    greg hxc
    I had to run a search on the forum as i missed the previous shots, but I think you really nailed it here. Good work.

This nature preserve is apparently full of excellent photos waiting to be captured by you.
  • 05-06-2004, 01:47 PM
    darkrainfall
    Gary,

I like this, however, I'm bothered by the brush and plants on the right side. I am really drawn into the picture because those two stone pillars really direct my attention right down the path/road... and I feel like I could follow the road, but then there are those bushes, on the right, distracting me.
    Otherwise I think this is an improvement from the last time you took pics of these posts.
  • 05-06-2004, 02:31 PM
    PuckJunkey
    My God... it's full of stars....
    :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. You Stanley Kubrik fans will understand.

I really like the shots you have taken of these earth-bound "monoliths" quite a lot. The texture and contrast are excellent and the composition is well-balanced. Even the sky is well-framed by the arcing presence of the clouds. B&W is also definitely the right choice here.

PS - I sense a triptych in your immediate future....
  • 05-06-2004, 03:01 PM
    greg hxc
    You know, I think this angle is just about right for a HAL's eye view....
  • 05-06-2004, 05:07 PM
    PuckJunkey
    Dave.... step away from the camera, Dave. I don't understand this hostile attitude; have I done something to upset you, Dave?

:D
  • 05-06-2004, 11:36 PM
    gahspidy
    lol Puckjunkey, good to see you back. I think you were away for a few days, if I'm not mistaken.
    You know, you have me hearing the music of the monolith from that movie every time I look at this pic. (great movie , by the way, of course as are all of his work) Glad you like this shot as do I and I will include it in a tribute I am working on for this Nature Preserve.
    Greg hxc and Darkrainfall, thanks for your time to comment, much appreciated.
  • 05-07-2004, 06:44 AM
    PuckJunkey
    Thank you, sir. I was indeed absent for about a week, due to some solid workloads at the commercial studio I work for (which of course is never a bad thing). Anyway, it is good to be back from the land of boom-stands, soft-boxes and hernia-inducing sandbags... I try not to miss too many days in a row because I know I'll miss all sorts of great shots if I do.

Anyway, I'm curious: what form of tribute are you planning? Book? Linear DVD? We're building an interactive portfolio for our studio and I'm trying to absorb as many new ideas as I can. Currently planning a DVD with an audio track or two, etc.
  • 05-07-2004, 10:16 AM
    barmy101
    I like this better than your previous ones. I like the clouds on the top part of the frame.
  • 05-08-2004, 09:43 AM
    gahspidy
    This Nature reserve here has been open for a few years now and they hve done a nice job with it. ( Beautiful park house, graveled walkways,footbridge, benches, info boards identifying various species of wildlife found in the area, and so on) I have been shooting various shots from here ( as you know)and am trying to get a series from all 4 seasons. i was thinking of putting together all the best prints and either present it as an exhibit in the parkhouse as a tribute to this Reserve( upon their approval) or offer it as a donation for them to present or do with as they please. Just not sure how to go about offering up this idea or how to go about presenting it.