Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    It's hurricane season... again...

Puppy love... :)

I just love this one... I'm checking for opinions on composition. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppy love... :)-puppylove.jpg  
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Composition is great. The only thing is I'd say it's a little dark / tad underexposed. You could fix this easily with the Highlight and Shadow feature in Photoshop....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    Composition is great. The only thing is I'd say it's a little dark / tad underexposed. You could fix this easily with the Highlight and Shadow feature in Photoshop....
    Thanks Puck, I tried to brighten it up a bit, but I'm not sure how well I succeeded...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppy love... :)-puppylove2.jpg  
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

great photo!

i dont know if its just me but im wanting to see a bit more space above that puppies head. and like puck said maybe a bit under-exposed, but fixed in that second post.

im trying a similar photo with my cat, but cats do not seem to cooperate as well as dogs lol

That's a really nice picture and don't think that the original is too dark, I just think you do something wrong when you try to publish it for the web, which makes it darker.

If you use Photoshop, make sure that under 'edit/color settings' is selected 'Web Graphics Default". Then save the image by using file "Save to web". Select the sub menu in the Save for Web preview (see attachment) and select "Use Document Color" profile.

You can also try to turn color managment off and by selecting "Uncompensated Color"

Also make sure that your white/black points are correctly set; http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppy love... :)-aaa.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Wings
    That's a really nice picture and don't think that the original is too dark, I just think you do something wrong when you try to publish it for the web, which makes it darker.

If you use Photoshop, make sure that under 'edit/color settings' is selected 'Web Graphics Default". Then save the image by using file "Save to web". Select the sub menu in the Save for Web preview (see attachment) and select "Use Document Color" profile.

You can also try to turn color managment off and by selecting "Uncompensated Color"

Also make sure that your white/black points are correctly set; http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm
    Wow, that is seriously helpful information... thanks! I went ahead and changed my color settings, and will definitely experiment with it. Thanks again for being such a big help!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

"KK": Sorry for the delayed response, been a busy week. I think your second attempt actually blows out the highlights in the dogs fur a bit. Not sure which tool you used, but in Photoshop, don't ever use Contrast and Brightness. It is one of the easiest ways there is to ruin an image.

Here's an attempt that I did using the expanded Shadow/Highlight tool... would be a bit better if I had the original shot from the camera but this will due. I tried to enhance the shadow detail a bit without introducing a lot of noise into her hair / adding a color cast to the dog's fur. Only partially succeeded, but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppy love... :)-puppylove.jpg  
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

You're welcome Kristin.

Other thing I wanted to mention... the fur of the dog is too blue. There will always be some blue cast (sky), but in this example it's a bit too much.

Go in Photoshop to Edit/Adjustments/Hue-Saturation and edit the "Cyans".
    Select the 'blues' with with the 'eye dropper' and 'eye dropper +' tool and adjust saturation.

Normally I would do this on a separate layer and mask out the dog only, but you get an idea where to look to tackle a problem like this.

Depending on your preference, you might prefer to leave some blue cast to make the image look more natural, it's all up to you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puppy love... :)-b1.jpg  

Thanks again Puck and Wings... you two should start a Photoshop class! I will be taking PS at the community college this fall... now I'll feel like I have a leg up on it before I even get there!

You guys rock!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thread Information