Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Portrait

Portrait

Here is a portrait I manipulated by cranking up the contrast then adding pixelations, excluding the area around the eyes, so as to focus on the area.

All comments welcome; critical and positive. Cheers JJ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portrait-portrait.jpg  
    Last edited by >JJ<; 04-27-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Re: Portrait

JJ,

Though not huge on the digital manipulation, I like this shot. It's a great neat effect, and I love how you left the eyes. Very effective and nice composition of the frame!

Good shooting,

Jared

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by >JJ<
    Here is a portrait I manipulated by cranking up the contrast then adding pixelations, excluding the area around the eyes, so as to focus on the area.

JJ,

The way I see it, this have a lot more to do with digital art than photography but the end result is neat. The picture/image have a strong graphic quality to it.

I assume that the eyes were worked differently than the rest of the picture as they remain clear and distinctive.

Seb

I am not into this type of digital photography but your image is well done and actually has a professional appearance to it. I can almost picture this on an advertisement, or on one of those old vinyl record album covers.
    ~Nina~

C'mon guys, photos have been dithered forever (almost). Every Pulitzer prize winning photo has been dithered before being used. JJ's just taken it a bit further and made a grabbing presentation of his photo. Keeping the eye solid was very effective. Nice creative shot - wish I had thought of that.
    ----------------------------

Thanks for the honest comments guys,

jar_e, Seb, Nina thanks for the positive comments, Jar_e I’m glad you like how I have manipulated the image, cheers. Nina I like your concept of the vinyl record album covers, laughter. Seb thanks for the comment on the image being 'graphic' in nature I strive to produce images with a 'grab' factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    C'mon guys, photos have been dithered forever (almost). Every Pulitzer prize winning photo has been dithered before being used. JJ's just taken it a bit further and made a grabbing presentation of his photo. Keeping the eye solid was very effective. Nice creative shot - wish I had thought of that.
    Chunk, I agree that digital photography can/has been done to death and in the end is just a cover-up sometimes when an average original image was taken. I think the line should be drawn when the image does have a CONCEPT behind it though, the manipulation furthering the base idea.

But when it is just done to look cool/different can be a bit of a shrug off, my image I agree is bordering on this.

Chunk, I agree that digital photography can/has been done to death and in the end is just a cover-up sometimes when an average original image was taken. I think the line should be drawn when the image does have a CONCEPT behind it though, the manipulation furthering the base idea.

But when it is just done to look cool/different can be a bit of a shrug off, my image I agree is bordering on this.
    JJ, Im afraid that my poor communication skills have again let me down. I didn't mean to imply that your image was somehow a cover up for a poor photo but rather just the opposite, that it is a creative way to present a strong photo. Sorry for the confusion. I hope you continue exploring in this direction - it's very interesting. I'll continue to try and learn English - I'm only in my 56th year of that endeavor - pretty soon I'll catch on.
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    JJ, Im afraid that my poor communication skills have again let me down. I didn't mean to imply that your image was somehow a cover up for a poor photo but rather just the opposite, that it is a creative way to present a strong photo. Sorry for the confusion. I hope you continue exploring in this direction - it's very interesting. I'll continue to try and learn English - I'm only in my 56th year of that endeavor - pretty soon I'll catch on.
    Oh....., thanks Chunk!, I really appreciate that. Bloody english is always hassles.

I guess I was negatively critiquing my own work in a way there, the reason I perused this effect wasn't so much to satisfy a concept but to make it look 'cool'.

And this is where you have to be careful, the aim should be more than just dickin around.

GB1

I like but but think the top center and left black dots are a distraction from the subject - the face and the eyes!

This photo has potential for many additional experiments - different color backgrounds, adds, etc. You could use the face and eyes to 'look' at most anything you want!

This is very much like "Pop Art" I think. I've seen a lot of images in my day that use the "big dot" concept (It's very much like looking at a newspaper comic strip through a lupe), but I've never seen anything done like this. I like it! and I applaud you for trying something so different and sharing it with us all.

~running off to try it on something of my own~
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Interesting. Made me think of Roy Lichtenstein.

http://www.artsmia.org/uia-bin/uia_d...hr=null&nd=355

THe open space almost cries out for a speech bubble or some text.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I like it! and I applaud you for trying something so different and sharing it with us all.

~running off to try it on something of my own~
    Thanks Kellybean, please post your results!, I can give you some tips if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Interesting. Made me think of Roy Lichtenstein.

http://www.artsmia.org/uia-bin/uia_d...hr=null&nd=355

THe open space almost cries out for a speech bubble or some text.
    Yes, I can see the resemblance, that wasn't my intention, I like Roy's work's.
    I will have to think of a slogan.

Very effective work indeed and I see an album cover written all over it.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thread Information