Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Re: Picnic in the Desert

Very nice pic Tuna!

BTW, I prefer the (no-garbage-can + no-grill) version even though it involves extensive cloning! Even though I have nothing against cloning, I wonder how much you actually lost in terms of resolution in the process. I imagine that a big print might show that this pic has been altered.

While the composition is great (nothing to say here), I find the exposure to be a bit off. I almost had to put my shades on to look at this pic! The reflection on the sand is very strong. In places, this photo is slightly overexposed as the highlights are almost blown out. I think that -1/3 to -1/2 EV would have given you a more satisfactory result. This is a typical example where a split ND would have worked wonderfully. A warming filter might also have been a good thing to have here as it would have put some color in the sand.

The color of the sky is also very aggressive. I toned it down by desaturating the cyan channel (-40) and slightly changing the hue in the blue channel (-12) to compensate for the Velvia effect. The results were more pleasing ... at least as far as my eyes are concerned!

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Steph.

Ghost

Well done. I like the last one you posted very much and have NO more critique. Thanks for entertaining my ideas, I DO appreciate you spending the extra time to try them out. Keep up the good work Tuna. Hey, if you're ever in the Chicago area let us know!!

The original image was beautiful to say the least. Removing the trash can IMO makes it way more pleasing.

Beautiful shot. Great job Tuna.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information