Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peaceful hands

peaceful hands

Any thoughts?
    I added a bit of "cloud" from photoshop -How do you combat such an intensely bright clear sky? (ofcourse, being in a better position with the sun at my back would have helped tremendously!).
    I am rethinking shooting again at sunset, as I like the position of the hands this way.
    Taken on Ilford 400- this was weeks ago so I've forgotten the rest of my settings.

PS- location is a cemetary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peaceful hands-hands.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Re: peaceful hands

I think the clouds were a good addition that leave a nice serene feeling.
    Now I'm shamefully thinking of what you could have substituted for those clouds that would have given a different meaning to the shot...like a tornado...
    ----------------------------

drg

I like the subject and did you consider some kind of off camera fill flash?

A couple of ideas regarding compostition come to mind with the hands position in relation to the horizon, and I'll think about them a bit and come back.

Depending upon the color of the material of the hands, a contrast color filter might bring up the detail and of course the standard color filters for that b/w sky effect.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

OMG Chunk, this could turn out like that "funniest photoshop thread ever!" thread. Did you see the link to that posted here?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Rebekah,

Interesting shot. I love the tones here, and the composition is very strong! Nice full shooting,

Jared

Kelly are you saying my photoshopping sucks? ;)
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thanks Jared... these hands are so amazing, they just sit amongst the cemetary so peaceful like. I think they are cast with bronze? (DRG if you were asking what they were made of)
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Thanks Jared... these hands are so amazing, they just sit amongst the cemetary so peaceful like. I think they are cast with bronze? (DRG if you were asking what they were made of)
    That's so neat. In the cementaries I have been in, I've never seen such a large statue of anything minus a cross. Great subject and wonderful shooting as always!

I almost did that Kelly, but thankfully reconsidered when thinking about the solemn subject. I try not to crud up other peoples threads but it sure was tempting.
    ----------------------------

Any thoughts?
    I added a bit of "cloud" from photoshop -How do you combat such an intensely bright clear sky? (ofcourse, being in a better position with the sun at my back would have helped tremendously!).
    I am rethinking shooting again at sunset, as I like the position of the hands this way.
    Taken on Ilford 400- this was weeks ago so I've forgotten the rest of my settings.

PS- location is a cemetary.
    Filters can help with the intensely bight sky - graduated ND (neutral density). I think you have the subject for a great shot, but you don't quite have the angle and or the lighting to make it "pop" yet.

LL Thanks for your input! This is definitely an area I'll be reshooting.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Kelly are you saying my photoshopping sucks? ;)
    No no no no no! It's just a thread someone posted here once where people put different backgrounds behind a scene, and some of them were really funny. When Chunk wondered about putting a tornado in the background, it reminded me.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Villena, excellent subject. I like your framing as well, although if you do a reshoot I would stand back a bit more to let the base have some space in the left frame area. The hands are a bit too contrasty and underexposed, because of the bright sky as you stated. Lavalamp is right, an split Nuetral Density ND filter would keep the sky in check and allow for greater exposure in the foreground. I just picked up a color graduated ND filter (.6 . . . 2 stops). Good shot still .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

This is a great subject and definetly a spot to do a re-shoot.
    Personally I like the exposure and don't think the hands need anymore detail...the contrast is just right.
    Of course you should always expose for the shadows and then develop to your taste.
    I have to agree with gary that moving away from the subject some would be a big improvement.
    I always shoot with a filter (yellow # 8 is my fav) to try and give my skies more texture, although I have not used a graduated as gary suggested.
    Great shot and I look forward to seeing more of this subject!
    Cheers.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Kelly- I'm just messing with ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    No no no no no! It's just a thread someone posted here once where people put different backgrounds behind a scene, and some of them were really funny. When Chunk wondered about putting a tornado in the background, it reminded me.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Gary and PT... thank you both for your input.
    Been wanting to do a cemetary series.. there are some really great old ones out here and ... not to be too creepy... they are all ones where I have relatives buried so I wouldnt feel to weird about going in and shooting a cemetary. My mother's been on my case about going to visit the cemetaries where my father's parents are buried (as I never met them), and such, and constantly going to visit my greatgrandmother... where the hands were shot.
    Here are a couple more from that day..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peaceful hands-cemetary.jpg   peaceful hands-payingrespects.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Rebekah,

The kid on the tombstone is very moving and powerful. Subject matter is very strong, and seems like a shot I'd see in National Geographic or a news report.

Very touching,

Jared

Jared thanks. Not to ruin the "magic" of the shot.. but thats one of my clan I have three boys.
    My greatgram passed when I was 7... and I wish they could have known her. She was awesome... so I make them come along with me when I visit, and I tell them stories about her. (thats the stone we're on in that shot).
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Jared thanks. Not to ruin the "magic" of the shot.. but thats one of my clan I have three boys.
    My greatgram passed when I was 7... and I wish they could have known her. She was awesome... so I make them come along with me when I visit, and I tell them stories about her. (thats the stone we're on in that shot).
    Adds to it IMO. Having the great-grandson standing on his great-grandma's tombstone, very moving.

Villena, I too think the great grandson on the great grandma tombstone shot is a great one. Great shot ( I could use a thesaurus, heh Chunk)?
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Rebekah, I agree that your initial shot is nice and full of greater potential. I also agree that the shot of the young man is a very nicely captured moment.

Tuna

drg

I did get back for another comment before too much time had passed I hope?

When shooting sculpture made of metal (and I wondered based on the photo if that wasn't what it was as opposed to stone) there's another filter type that sometimes works wonders with b/w, and that is an intensifier. There are green intensifiers that hardly anybody uses anymore that will sometimes really make a scene with a big metal object pop. The sky remains problematic, but don't forget that a standard or circular polarizer is a very useful (probably the most generally useful) filter with b/w. Unless your using AF, a standard polarizer stacked with different combinations of the R-G-B-Y filters can (depending on the sky) do two things:

1: Provide the various contrast levels from what is directly in front of your (kill glare with the Pola and contrast the color in the sky )

2. If there are broken clouds or they are uneven (our eyes may not see them because of glare or theres not enough contrast) the Polarizer and contrast/complementary color will bring them "out" or "up" on the film.

If the sky is "severe clear" and the sun is closer to the horizon, below 9 or 3 o'clock high (not time of day), and you shoot at betwenn 45 and 90 degrees to sun location you can literally generate a gradient effect on film with only a a good dark polarizer. Just twist that filter until the sky looks as dark blue as you can get it and then turn it an extra few degrees and lessen the effect slightly. Chances are there's a just enough humidity left in the air to pick up a "gradient" effect.

Neutral density split/full filters will modify the the amount but not type (reflect, refract, or chromaticized(sp?) ) light.

Several good suggestions already about the hand photo and the others as well which I'll second or third, and add my opinion that the hands photo has some clutter on the horizon of a tree or so in an inconvienent/unattractive place. I'd like to see the horizon run across the photo differently. That's what I was thinking about as much before and still haven't come up with a better idea.

Hope this hasn't been to much of a diatribe.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Dear Rebekah,

I like this shot. It has a nice feel and the texture on the hands is good. One thing I can think of is use a split neutral density filter. Or go when the sun isn't so bright . I would imagine sunset would be a great time for this shot. Or another thing is use a red or orange filter. That would darken the sky conderably. But then you might not be able to pick out the hand from the sky. Good luck on the reshoot.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

The original shot was great!! I also think the kid on the tomb stone shot has alot of "personality", it's alive. Nice shooting.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Rebekah,

Sorry but I find an image of ANYONE on a grave stone/ plaque to be disrespectful to the grave owner. GREAT IMAGE none the less.

I am in no way saying your son doesn't have the right to stand there though, or that your son or you are disrespecting your great grandmother.

OH BTW.... HAPPY MOMMY's DAY ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information