Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Oosterdam in Nassau at Sunrise

I took this with my OLD Nikon coolpix 885 3.2 megapixel. No tripod, I was out at about 6 AM when we pulled into Nassau. I took this picture of the M/S Oosterdam, which was then the newest vessel in the Holland America fleet. She was docking while we made our approach- the De.Az/S Paradise. This was on mar.29, 2004. I have taken a small number of good pictures in my life, and this is one of the better ones and i would like to know what you like or don't like about it. I'm very much a beginner/amateur, but I'm learning from my teacher (MJS here) and another of the students, who is also here.
    I'm mainly doing this to have fun, take some nice pictures and be able to remember all this stuff Some of my friends and my teacher told me to put this one up. It really is best viewed at a size of 1024x768, you can see the whole thing with plenty of detail. Original file was 2048x1536 and about 550kb. Had to shrink it down to a size that I don't think brings out the detail that I am amazed that the darn thing could muster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oosterdam in Nassau at Sunrise-officers-040edited2.jpg  

Re: Oosterdam in Nassau at Sunrise

Neat shot. I wonder if it wouldn’t have been better if there was a little more space on the right side of the frame though.

Greg

Hey harrison, whats up dude, its about time you got on this darn website, nice picture its about time u posted it and i was the one who told u to go on here, put some more pictures up, learn something, laterz man
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

I have a few other photos that I took in rapid succession. The one that is best as far as size is unfortunately not in good focus, and the other ones I would have to crop: the lines that hold the dress tivolilights and those dressy flags on the ship got in the way sorta. I'll bring my computer to school tomorrow or thursday and work on this using photoshop.
    Here's another one. I took several as the ship approached as the sun started to give a muted orange color and then finally the bright reflection. I have cropped this one to fit and to reduce the water, sky and skyline by at least 40%
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oosterdam in Nassau at Sunrise-s038sm.jpg  
    Last edited by deckcadet; 10-26-2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: another version added
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

What a great way to capture a sunrise. I don't have anything to suggest for improvement. I really like the contrast between the warm and cool light - it's good that their values were close enough for good detail in both. That ship is MASSIVE and your shot emphasizes that. I don't think you need the surrounding warehouses and such in the second shot.
    Nice work - I hope we can see more.

I will be cropping it then...thanks for the pointers and I'm glad you guys liked it.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information