Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Beautiful Moments

I am probably happiest crawling around in a rainforest wih a macro lens lookin for these little guys in all their forms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beautiful Moments-beautiful-moments-2.jpg  

Re: Beautiful Moments

Beautiful shot. I was trying to get something similar recently but as I spotted them the light was very low and I don’t think the picture came out as well as this one did. Seeing yours has motivated me to go back and see how mine turned out. I really like the color and composition of this shot. The lines of the stalks are very appealing to me and I like the little spots of light on the tree bark. I am not a big fan of borders so if this were my picture I would do without the border but I think you have a great shot here.

Greg

Your picture got me so excited that I went home and looked at my mushroom pictures from the other night. I don't think mine is near the same level as yours but I thought I would put it up anyway. If it weren't for your post this one would have most likely gotten forgotten in the archives.

This shot was taken with the EF 300mm f/4L IS hand held on my 20D. The light was very low as the sun had already gone down so I was up at ISO 800 and had to use f/4 to get something even remotely close to a decent shutter speed. The shutter speed ended up being 1/15 sec so I feel pretty lucky to have even gotten this. I would have liked to have been able to stop down to get more DOF on teh mushroom but I will take this anyway .

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beautiful Moments-shroom.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    I am probably happiest crawling around in a rainforest wih a macro lens lookin for these little guys in all their forms.
    Wow! Here is another side to you that we didn't know existed. Very nice work. Love your composition and framing. You have beautiful colors and detail in the image overall. What lighting technique did you use to achieve this wonderful macro?

WOW! thes have the texture of Knit winter caps...this is a beautiful shot. I like that all the detail has been preserved despite the fact that they are whitish...the hint of light in front and back serves it well... very nice shot...
    ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thanks fellers. Nice to see I'm not alone in my quest for "mushrooms" as most call them. 300 handheld at 1/15.....Jeez Greg, what are you, cast in stone.o) Great result though, really sharp and backgrond is tops. As for lighting OT, one thing I never use in a rainforest is flash. I carry 2 or 3 reflectors about 10" x 8" which fit in the outside pocket of my backpack and a small mirror. This way I can bring a shaft of light from 20 metres away with the mirror onto a frosted reflector etc. I also carry a small mag-light which I use to light small red fungi without lighting half of Queensland at the same time.
    Fred.

This has to be the best mushroom shot I've ever seen. Love the sparkly light.

i dont feel pictures with mushrooms in them, ahaha i think mushrooms are wierd and smell bad
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

As for lighting OT, one thing I never use in a rainforest is flash. I carry 2 or 3 reflectors about 10" x 8" which fit in the outside pocket of my backpack and a small mirror. This way I can bring a shaft of light from 20 metres away with the mirror onto a frosted reflector etc. I also carry a small mag-light which I use to light small red fungi without lighting half of Queensland at the same time.
    Fred.
    Thanks for the willingness to share. I can assure you I will start packing a refector or two with me from now on. Your lighting is superb on these rooms. Thanks again.

what kind are they?

~(knit winter caps! LOL Nat! So true!)~
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information