Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    lumbering along at a decent pace...

What's out there?

This is a shot I took about a year ago of my son looking out the window. I'm a big fan of natural light (plus I can't afford a ton of lighting equipment...;-)). I'd love any comments about composition. Here's the technical stuff:

--Nikon N80, 28-80 lens
    --Kodak T100 B&W film
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's out there?-11-29-02-bw-erik-window-2.jpg  

What I like most about this image is, it not only depicts the curiosity of a child's mind, but also because of the viewpoint and lens you've used, the composition is a sort of visual study of the human mind. It's like the light coming in from the window is filling his mind and that sort of far-off look in his eyes confirms it. That's the cool thing about kids: they're awed by the simple things. As photographers we could probably all take a lesson from that.

Also, this image wouldn't be nearly as powerful in color I think. More proof that B&W is a "different medium" of communication IMO.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thanks, PuckJunkie. The funny thing about this shot is that in spite of his contemplative gaze, he actually was looking at the oil truck that had pulled up in my driveway--he loves trucks and construction equipment! After I took this shot, he started yelling, "Guck! Guck!" (he was only a little over one at the time).

Like I said... kids appreciate the simple things. It may have been a guck to you or I, but to him it was this big cool thing moving around in his driveway. "What the heck is that, Dad? A Guck?!"

Kids rule (usually).

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Wow. Fantastic shot! Love the composition and the lighting and his expression. Love it!

Great shot! Very natural. I especially like the reflection in the window. :-)
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Talking

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

yours was more effective

Than the one I posted in the old forums...having the expression or just even a hint of it...is wonderful...

great capture...I would have liked to maybe see the fingers not"cropped" but these moments are fleeting sometimes, I know...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's out there?-touching-sun.jpg  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thanks natatbeach. I like yours because of the centering of the hand in the shot. The flow of the photo seems to move from the child's face and body out to the hand, which gives a better impression of reaching out.

Based on my limited experience, getting a good shot of a toddler requires lots of luck and film...;-)

BTW, you have some other quite nice shots out there. I'm still getting this photography stuff down, but I really enjoy it. I'm looking into buying a digital SLR (D70 or D100) , as I figure it will allow me to learn better technique faster, plus save me the cost of developing all of the not-so-good pictures.

I agree, the reflection of his one eye really makes this image. Great lighting as well. Excellent image.
    Cory
    <a href="http://www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&pi=SIERRA4MEE" target="_blank">My portfolio</a>

Merckxman,
    Everything is working in this photo. The lighting, mood , expression, reflection . . .all came together to make a great photo.. The one thing I might critique as it was somewhat distracting only after I noticed it is the window sill not lined up straight with the lower left side of the frame.Cropping it or straightening it might cause you to lose more of the hand, however which I would'nt want to see. Possible you could clone out some of that fram on the bottom with some more of the window. Not a big deal, but like I said , after I noticed it it became just a bit distracting
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information