Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: New Puppy

New Puppy

We got a little pug...her name is Layla and she just turned 8 weeks today

I need to know if this picture works...it was exactly what I had intended to do, but I'm not sure about the result. Is the blury body too distracting? Are the shadows too heavy on the right side?

http://www.dmbforums.com

Re: New Puppy

this is a very cool picture, very good it would be better if it was a more attractive dog to look at but good luck with ur puppy
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Ouch!

You can critique the photo all you want, but that's my child you're talking about...

hey im sorry, dont take it personal
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Quote Originally Posted by Young Shooter
    hey im sorry, dont take it personal
    Haha, I didn't. As a pug owner, I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "pug ugly" comment...

I think she's adorable, though

How can your hear NOT melt when you see this face...

I love the pug! I have 2 Chihuahuas myself. I think a little more DOF to catch the body would improve it some

Sorry, not convinved by the cute thing. Beauty in the eye etc...

But if we're talking photos I like the top one the most, although some more focus on the body would be good.

Skyline, I think shes adorable! I had a chinese pug as a child and they are the smartest dogs! And, not cheap either. I love the first shot, she's just so nosy and cute. As for the photo on her back it makes me laugh so much. Look at the way she's eyeballing you. LOL these are so cute! The only critique I have is that in the first one, her left eye is kind of not easy to see, looks weird in other words and the out of focus body doesnt really add to the shot. It would be better in focus. The second shot, I think is a better photo technically speaking plus cute-nically speaking.
    Kit

Thanks for the reply Shesells...glad to have a fellow pug-lover around

On the first one, I did want to point out that the blurry body was intentional in an attempt to bring attention to her face. I'm guessing the same would have been accomplished, though, due to the angle of the shot, and without the blurry body.

As for the second one, I was displeased that the upper portion of grass was blurred, and the bottom was clear...more DOF needed for sure. The cute value makes it worthwhile to me, though!

Here's another shot attempting the same thing, but without the dark eye...

I think overall I'm seeing a very soft quality to these shots, and I don't know why. I'd prefer if it were sharper. Not a DOF change, I'd just like to see the in focus areas look more crisp.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Great dogs, Pugs. I like the Boston Terriers very much as well. Both have similiar eyes. I would prefer to see more dof. The body being slightly out of focus is ok but you have only the nose and eyes and then the head starts fading out of focus. The one of on its back is sweet , but the lighting being so harsh takes away from it. The bright spots and too much contrast. Also, as kelly stated, even the sin focus areas seem a bit soft.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyline315
    Thanks for the reply Shesells...glad to have a fellow pug-lover around

On the first one, I did want to point out that the blurry body was intentional in an attempt to bring attention to her face. I'm guessing the same would have been accomplished, though, due to the angle of the shot, and without the blurry body.

As for the second one, I was displeased that the upper portion of grass was blurred, and the bottom was clear...more DOF needed for sure. The cute value makes it worthwhile to me, though!

Here's another shot attempting the same thing, but without the dark eye...

This is best of the three.But i wonder why you are trying with such a shallow DOF ? It is hard enough toshoot a bundle of energy as it is. Adorable eyes.I am sure we will be getting more !
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    This is best of the three.But i wonder why you are trying with such a shallow DOF ? It is hard enough toshoot a bundle of energy as it is. Adorable eyes.I am sure we will be getting more !
    Bobby
    You'll be getting a TON more

The shallow DOF was with the intent of capturing the face clearly, and letting the rest fade away to bring focus to Layla's face. Obviously, I went too far with it...

I have a few others with much greater DOF, but they aren't good pictures. I'll be trying again.

Quote Originally Posted by skyline315
    We got a little pug...her name is Layla and she just turned 8 weeks today

I need to know if this picture works...it was exactly what I had intended to do, but I'm not sure about the result. Is the blury body too distracting? Are the shadows too heavy on the right side?

Nice. It's an offbeat, crazy kind of shot that works. I'd get lower on some of these. Lay on the ground.

Thread Information