Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: New Mexico

New Mexico

Hi all! I'm new here. These photos were taken on a trip to New Mexico in May. The trip was stressful, but the surroundings were incredible.

Comments very welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Mexico-photoforum5.jpg  
    Last edited by Janieee; 09-30-2004 at 07:33 AM.

3rd photo

Welcome to pr! I'd like to comment on your third photo because that is the one I like the best. The warm light and how it glows is very pleasing, as is the softness of the photo. But I don't think you leveled your camera; the horizon looks quite tilted.

A general comment on all your shots - you may want to try not always centering everything. I mean your subject and your horizons. A photo is often more interesting when it isn't composed with the subject dead center or the shot split evenly half and half between ground and sky.

Spike

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Re: New Mexico

Janieee... welcome to PR!
    I saw your post yesterday, but had to get some sleep! Anyway, I am back today to offer my opinion...

Image #1 Your horizon line is central and it doesn't make for a compositionally pleasing shot. There is nothing in the foreground of interest.. Great Sunset though!

Image #2, has more of a snapshot feel to me, again this is centered.

Image #3 of all your shots, I have to say I like this one the most! As a guideline, you want to have straight horizons, but this photo, in my opinion, is able to pull off a tilt of horizon... The reason I feel this way is because the photo as a whole gives me a "after the battle" feel... I picture the last stand of Custer or something, and I see that little flag ( which i wish was more distinguishable) and I think, after the day long battle is over, the flag is still there...) The dead weed sticking up on the right side... well it would be a gun leaning up against the rock in my little story i created about your photo! Just my thoughts... Also, great color in the sky!
    Image #4 You are going in a good direction with this photo... I've seen something similar, I just think that your tree needs to be more in focus, and that it needs a more interesting place within your frame.. maybe a horizontal shot in my mind ( and taken with you standing at 3 o'clock

Image #5, the trees in the foreground are distracting, and the color doesn't really pop. This is an intersting composition though... I would play with it in your imaging software and see if you can't adjust the color.... I might also try cropping the majority of the trees ( leftside) out and making it b&w, Adjusting brightness to make it darker and maybe bumping contrast, but I'm not all that hot in Photoshop, someone else will probably have better technique than I !

Keep it up, and keep sharing your work!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

What they said!

Hello Janiee,
    I don't really have anything to add because Cliker and Spike said it so well.
    But I will welcome you here too!
    I hope to see more from you and that you contribute to here as well
    This is a great community!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: New Mexico

Welcome!

I think I like the first shot and the last shot the best. The first has that nice "stop the car and capture the moment" look to it. Very beautiful skies and the land is not underexposed / still has detail that adds to the composition. You could probably afford to crop a bit off the bottom of the frame, but in general it's a good shot.

The last I like because of the interesting play between the trees and the bridge. It's hard to make a midday shot work because the colors usually come out flat, but here everything seems to work in that regard. The only thing that bugs me here is the thistle on the left side of the frame (because it juts up into the bridge area). A little judicious cloning and patching in Photoshop might help, since reproducing the support beam of the bridge wouldn't be too hard given their straight lines and uniform appearance.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information