Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Father

Re: My Father

I think there are grey areas on the highlights, from burning? otherwise, this attempt is much closer, though much fiercer
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad Marcusk pointed out the gray area as I don't have much if any experience with this kind of editing or even portraits for that matter and would not have noticed.
    For someone that does not know your father it seems to be a dramatic portrait and he does look like a 'hard' man and I can see why that would bother you if it goes against the character you know in him.
    I'm glad to see these examples of "dragon" and intend to give it a try when I get the opportunity.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    Well in the search for the Dragan... again... this time I ended a bit closer I think. this time I pick a a different pic to start with, its a little more frontal and the shadows aren't so harsh on the left, I ended up with a color pic this time and I think it lands more accurately on this style.

I must say that is hard to work on this style using my dad as a subject, the thing gets kind of surreal and completely reshapes what my father looks like. This style alters perception, makes things more crude and gives IMO a...harsh look difficult to digest at first glance.

Did I over did it?
    Great work. I love the photo itself and feel that there's plenty of expression for the AD effect to do its thing.

That said, there are things I like about the edit and things I like about the original. Gray areas (watch out for those) aside, I liked half his face cloaked in shadow quite a bit more. Having his whole face in plain view kind of saps the drama out of the image, IMHO, and makes it look kind of "Sears portrait-y," if that makes any sense. I also think the effect, though very well done, may be a bit overdone. Just a tiny bit. Mr. Dragoon's (as we like to call him) work is smoother/less jarring. The effect is not the first thing you notice. EXCELLENT effort on the whole, though, and very close to what Andrayzjz ( ) D seems to have been doing. Your dad is an awesome subject, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusK
    I think there are grey areas on the highlights, from burning? otherwise, this attempt is much closer, though much fiercer
    Yeap correct I see the spots, and yeap I think they are do so to Burning at some point on the process. Iīll look to avoid those in future projects ;)

BTW thank you very much for all the tips, hints, and pointers, they were really helpful.:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Glad Marcusk pointed out the gray area as I don't have much if any experience with this kind of editing or even portraits for that matter and would not have noticed.
    For someone that does not know your father it seems to be a dramatic portrait and he does look like a 'hard' man and I can see why that would bother you if it goes against the character you know in him.
    I'm glad to see these examples of "dragon" and intend to give it a try when I get the opportunity.
    Thanks for the comments Seņor Frog. Indeed my dad is more "easy looking" kind of guy, tho he has a very strong character within, with this type of portrait all than mingles, merges and multiplies in an interesting fierce mix.

When you have chance, go for it! Its fun to try an widens how we see portraits.:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    Great work. I love the photo itself and feel that there's plenty of expression for the AD effect to do its thing.

That said, there are things I like about the edit and things I like about the original. Gray areas (watch out for those) aside, I liked half his face cloaked in shadow quite a bit more. Having his whole face in plain view kind of saps the drama out of the image, IMHO, and makes it look kind of "Sears portrait-y," if that makes any sense. I also think the effect, though very well done, may be a bit overdone. Just a tiny bit. Mr. Dragoon's (as we like to call him) work is smoother/less jarring. The effect is not the first thing you notice. EXCELLENT effort on the whole, though, and very close to what Andrayzjz ( ) D seems to have been doing. Your dad is an awesome subject, btw.
    Thanks Dray
    You are right having more shadow to the left will aid to the effect and will give it more Drama, and yes I think is a bit exaggerated, in my next attempt will try to be more gentle on the effects and now that you mention it itīs quite true that, Draganīs work lacks this amount of effects and they donīt jump at you like in my example.- I have to learn how to keep the hard expressions an details without overdoing the rest

I like it. I am so impressed with the possibilities available in photography. Still in Photog 101 -- but maybe one day..........

Good work!

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shebang
    I like it. I am so impressed with the possibilities available in photography. Still in Photog 101 -- but maybe one day..........

Good work!

Thanks!:thumbsup:
    Thats the good of it! Brake the rules ,be different, there are plenty of style to experiment with, then create your own style, the one that fits you better:thumbsup:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information